Student returning from Saudi Arabia lone new Covid-19 case in state quarantine

rooster59

Student returning from Saudi Arabia lone new Covid-19 case in state quarantine

By THE NATION

800_7efb283c0208172.jpg

There was one new confirmed case of Covid-19 infection but no death over a 24-hour period, the assistant spokesperson for the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration, Dr Panprapa Yongtrakul, said on Saturday (May 30).

The 26-year-old student had returned from Saudi Arabia, and tested positive while in state quarantine. The man is being treated in Naradhiwas Rajanagarindra Hospital.

The patient had flown to Malaysia and taken the bus to Thailand through the Padang Besar checkpoint in Songkhla province.

Other people who travelled in the same bus are being checked for infection, the spokeswoman added.

The total number of confirmed cases since the outbreak increased to 3,077, of whom 59 are still being treated in hospitals. The number of fatalities remains at 57.

The number of people in state quarantine is 20,953 of whom 140 have been found to be infected, she said.

Meanwhile, globally the number of new cases surged by 125,608 within 24 hours, the highest single-day rise since the outbreak, of whom 25,069 were in the US where the total cases rose to around 1.8 million.

In Asia, India had the highest number of cases totalling 173,791, including 8,105 new cases. India now has the seventh highest number of cases in the world. Panprapa said Thailand was stable at 77th in the world.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30388795

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-31

8 minutes ago, SkyFax said:

According to the BP 30 MAY Dr. Panprapa said that in the last 2 weeks 43 of the 52 new cases involving Thais were international arrivals leaving 9 as domestic cases.

This must explain why we are not hearing of the tracing app being used to actually trace cases and notify those who have checked in at places where someone who tested positive checked in. Since the app was launched, nearly all the cases are people who just arrived, are in quarantine, and who wouldn't have used the app to check in somewhere. 

1 hour ago, natway09 said:

Begs the question ,,,,what is a Thai doing studying in Saudi Arabia ?

Yeah, that's what came into my mind, who goes to Saudi to study and why?

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Could be a muslim Thai gone there to study. He flew back to Malaysia first, then crossed into Thailand.

18 minutes ago, ukrules said:

(joke) maybe studying the best way to kill somebody and make the body disappear without any trace (they are good at it, Kashoggi comes to mind) 555

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Seems to be a trend here. I'm going to go out on a limb here and make a prediction about tomorrow's announcement.  It will look like this:

Today x people who just returned from other countries and who are in quarantine tested positive for Covid 19. Nobody who was already here and who wasn't recently elsewhere tested positive.

The x will be a number less than fifteen. There will be no mention of how many tests were performed that were run at the two reference labs. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JCP108 said:

Seems to be a trend here. I'm going to go out on a limb here and make a prediction about tomorrow's announcement.  It will look like this:

Today x people who just returned from other countries and who are in quarantine tested positive for Covid 19. Nobody who was already here and who wasn't recently elsewhere tested positive.

The x will be a number less than fifteen. There will be no mention of how many tests were performed that were run at the two reference labs. 

Ssshh .. Don't be revealing the carefully crafted script .. 

• Haha 2

If you tell people that quarantine is 14 days because that't the outside incubation period for Covid 19, then you go for two weeks saying there are no cases of infection, my guess is that people who can count are going to think that now Thailand is free of Covid 19. Will get harder to enforce restrictions and get people to tolerate the lockdown measures. It also will feed the xenophobia. 

Yesterday evening during my evening 40-minute walk around the large apartment complex where I live in Ladprao: I was wearing a mask. I saw two Thai people wearing masks. I saw two wearing them as chin guards. The other 45 people I saw had no mask on and weren't distancing at all from each other. Wife says none of our neighbors actually believe there is any Covid 19 risk anymore.