Six-month-old baby dies in car accident

webfact

Six-month-old baby dies in car accident

By The Nation

800_20131688bd341b0.jpg?v=1590908125

A six-month-old baby girl was killed when the car she was travelling in crashed into an electric post in Chonburi province on Saturday (May 30).

The baby reportedly went flying out of the car through the windscreen.

The parents Suksan Boontemphrom, 31, and Kanlaya Jankha, 28, had taken their baby to see a doctor in Sri Racha district.

On their way back, it started to rain.

The car was reportedly going at a high speed when it went out of control and hit the electric post at 10.15am.

The parents were taken to Phyathai Sriracha Hospital where the baby “Blue” was declared dead.

Suksan had recovered consciousness on Sunday but is unable to tell his wife about the fate of their baby since they both are still in shock.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30388830

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-06-01

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, JensenZ said:

They do sell infant carrier seats in Thailand. After spending a lot of money on their shiny new cars, they can't shell out the 10k baht of so for a decent baby seat?

I'm going to put this up as a community service, in case any other idiots are carrying unsecured babies in their cars.

https://cybexthailand.com/car-seats/

Now, what to do about all the other idiots that carry babies in their arms while riding motorcycles? You'll often see a mother riding with one hand while she carries an infant in the other.

they sell everything in Thailand its this mai pen rai attitude and lack of training, i once had a taxi come pick me up had a 1 y old in the front seat i refused to get in and lectured the driver he didn't give a <deleted> hope the kid survives

• Like 2

They do sell infant carrier seats in Thailand. After spending a lot of money on their shiny new cars, they can't shell out the 10k baht of so for a decent baby seat?

I'm going to put this up as a community service, in case any other idiots are carrying unsecured babies in their cars.

Now, what to do about all the other idiots that carry babies in their arms while riding motorcycles? You'll often see a mother riding with one hand while she carries an infant in the other.

yeah and I suppose it is illegal.....BUT nothing gets done about it.....I have seen many too.....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

On their way back, it started to rain.

The car was reportedly going at a high speed when it went out of control

Agree with Wiggy above; the driver should be charged with culpable homicide.

• Like 2

I totally agree , but the retailers need to make it easier to find them and buy them, including having them as op extras when they buy the car.  I don't know one single outlet within 100km of me that sells such seats. Out of sight out of mind. In any event, can you imagine Thai kids being locked into a car seat?  Most of them are either in the back of a pick up (illegal) or 3 of them with Mum on a motorbike.  You can't put a western mind set into a rural Thais head.   It will never happen. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Trillian said:

Using the word "idiots" to describe those people is, in many cases, perhaps too harsh, I'd prefer to call them unfortunate or sad. The 17 or 19 year old mother who has no education, very little schooling, no training in other than sweeping a road, has no money or proper home and probably has no husband to support her....how else is she going to travel the couple of miles she has to in order to get food, or do some menial task for almost no money, or take her baby to the free clinic? She has no choice and as dangerous as it is, she has no alternative, it's a bi-product of poverty. If she woke up one morning and said to herself, I think I'll go to Paragon today to do some shopping and I'll take the bike so I can feel the wind in my hair, then she's an idiot, mostly though, such people don't exist.

How true this post is, in my home country this girl would get many benefits whether she deserved them or not.

• Like 1

Back in 2007 a family were riding a bike, 1 kid in jammed down in front of dad, 1 being held by mum and the baby was in  a cardboard box on the rear of the bike.

The box got wet and the baby fell onto the chain.

Its sad to say but that kid fortunately died within an hour.

The parents no doubt saw no problem in what they were doing

9 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

I'm having to train my mother-in-law to wear her seatbelt to the point that I won't drive until she has done so. She's in her 60's for God sake. What example does that set for our youngest!

I've had the same experience ever since i've been here; not just FIL & MIL but Sisters, Brothers, Aunties and Friends.  Now my Mrs tells everyone that if they don't put on their Seatbelts nobody is going anywhere !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grumpy one said:

Back in 2007 a family were riding a bike, 1 kid in jammed down in front of dad, 1 being held by mum and the baby was in  a cardboard box on the rear of the bike.

The box got wet and the baby fell onto the chain.

Its sad to say but that kid fortunately died within an hour.

The parents no doubt saw no problem in what they were doing

And by now won't even remember it happening...but if they do they will blame the rain that made the box wet !

3 hours ago, Venom said:

Again, do the parents realize that they are responsible for the baby's death? ☹️

I've been to an infants funeral who died in a preventable accident. The Thai's all sitting around during the day eating their free food were yapping on not about how bad it was or how preventable it should have been or the Parents being responsible; no, they were yapping on about it was 'The Childs Time To Go' and how the Kid would be back among them as a new baby soon.   Others were just saying  'These Things Happen' and how 'Unfortunate' it was.   They will never see things in the same way as we do and if we want to try and make them do so it is like smashing our heads against a brick wall !

4 hours ago, Venom said:

Again, do the parents realize that they are responsible for the baby's death? ☹️

They are human parents, of course they will be devastated and traumatised for the rest of their lives. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Trillian said:

Using the word "idiots" to describe those people is, in many cases, perhaps too harsh, I'd prefer to call them unfortunate or sad. The 17 or 19 year old mother who has no education, very little schooling, no training in other than sweeping a road, has no money or proper home and probably has no husband to support her....how else is she going to travel the couple of miles she has to in order to get food, or do some menial task for almost no money, or take her baby to the free clinic? She has no choice and as dangerous as it is, she has no alternative, it's a bi-product of poverty. If she woke up one morning and said to herself, I think I'll go to Paragon today to do some shopping and I'll take the bike so I can feel the wind in my hair, then she's an idiot, mostly though, such people don't exist.

I understand the sentiment of your comment. But there is a but !

It has not so much to do with financial poverty as it does the poverty of comprehending personal responsibility. When that lack results in tragedy it is so common to find even implausible excuses to avert responsibility. Generally speaking Thais love their children but I often comment to my wife they too often love them to death with the lack of  common sense !

• Like 1

I have lost count of the times I have observed unsecured kids getting in to or out of cars (that are much newer than ours) during the school run, & there's quite often a toddler in pole position to become an airbag too.