Where to repair stand fan?

topt

I have a 3 year old Hatari stand fan (830 baht or so) where the fan will not work properly on 1 speed but gets going on 2 although not very well.

I have already bought another to replace it but was hoping someone could recommend somewhere where i could take it to be repaired/fixed as otherwise still looks as new? 

• Haha 1

If you live in village not in town, give some village handy man to fix! Every soi has some guy who can fix that for bottle of Lao Khao. (small one) lol

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Like 1

Oud, Thai business, Thepprasit road on left from Sukhumvit.. Almost opposit entrance/exit soi 17    Visible as open shop house with fridges,washing machines stand outside.

Good service, best give your phone number so they call you about cost repair. He and wife speak  some English

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, fruitman said:

I see, so from now on we have to check how old a post is, in which forum it is posted, the reputation of the poster (maybe a noob) before we can reply?

You regularly are completely unaware which forum you are  in?

OP, I usually tinker with them myself and can get them working, although I have space enough to keep old ones for spare parts. Local Mr Fixit (or break it) might sort  it for 100 baht, or give it to the scrap collector.

I would have asked (and will actually) where the poster is as well.

Because I may know of a shop, but it's on Soi Khao Noi which may be a bit out of the way for someone in Naklua or Jomtien for example. Especially if they are on a scooter carrying one of those big stand up fans.

Which I think can (frikken video pop up) be repaired at this little shop which seems to do a lot of appliance repairs:
https://www.google.co.th/maps/@12.9239957,100.908234,3a,71.3y,201.48h,85.43t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1stZrHzUASHT7QvyG9n4kvyQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

It's on Khao Noi, just "down" (West) of Mike Orchid Villa housing estate.

• Thanks 1

There is a shop at Naklua opposite the post office who has done a couple for me including remote control problems always a good price

I would forget Amorn both occasions I have been there with other electronic devices they can't do it

• Thanks 1

What area do you live in Pattaya? There are plenty of small repair shops dotted all around. I use one on the dark side that has repaired fans, washing machines, electric motors etc at very cheap prices.

3 hours ago, topt said:

I have a 3 year old Hatari stand fan (830 baht or so) where the fan will not work properly on 1 speed but gets going on 2 although not very well.

Such fans are technically very simple. With these symptoms, I would think that it's just the capacitor who fails. He is usually welded where wires arrive on the electric engine. You can find replacement everywhere for about 20-30 baht. (by example at Amorn in Tukcom)

• Like 1

You might get a shock from the guy who fixes it, and I don't mean from his bill. ????

I would have more faith in a new cheap fan out of a factory in China than I would a Thai repair guy.     

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, johng said:

the repair center in Amorn Tuk Com basement  South Pattaya is  no longer

Thanks - I went there Saturday for something else and discovered they don't have a technician any more.

3 hours ago, wobblyjohn said:

I would forget Amorn

3 hours ago, wobblyjohn said:

There is a shop at Naklua opposite the post office

Yes I have seen a guy in the past doing electrical stuff close to that PO but not been down there for a few years. 

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

What area do you live in Pattaya? There are plenty of small repair shops dotted all around. I use one on the dark side that has repaired fans, washing machines, electric motors etc at very cheap prices.

I have a car so location not an issue. 

7 hours ago, topt said:

I have a car so location not an issue. 

There,s a guy on 3rd road opposite soi 14 where Steak Kai Roi is located and just before Jasmine Coffee....walk past the junk in the doorway (usually old TV,s) he,s inside youngish guy who,s an invalid...excellent mechanic and cheap also...you will not get ripped off :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Leaver said:

You might get a shock from the guy who fixes it, and I don't mean from his bill. ????

I would have more faith in a new cheap fan out of a factory in China than I would a Thai repair guy.     

I have used a couple of local guys many times without any problems. I'm not going to buy a new washing machine or fan every time there's a problem and just add to the landfill.

• Like 2

Handicapped man shop on 3rd road, right before soi 19 on west side driving north. He can fix pretty much anything electrical at modest fee. Speak English. 

Edited by mran66

32 minutes ago, petermik said:

There,s a guy on 3rd road opposite soi 14

6 minutes ago, mran66 said:

Handicapped man shop on 3rd road, right before soi 19 on west side driving north

Thanks both of you. I think this is the same guy yes?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, topt said:

Yes seems to be soi 14 on east side same place! 

Piles of old tvs and other junk in front of the shop, can't miss... 

Edited by mran66
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, giddyup said:

I have used a couple of local guys many times without any problems. I'm not going to buy a new washing machine or fan every time there's a problem and just add to the landfill.

A washing machine is different to a cheap fan. 

Look at the quality of work performed by the electricity provider that was reported on TV with live wires left on Walking Street. 

• Confused 2

35 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Look at the quality of work performed by the electricity provider that was reported on TV with live wires left on Walking Street. 

That wasn't a repair job, it was a transformer that blew up during a rain storm and the PEA didn't bother looking at. Nothing at all to do with appliance repairs or quality of work. (Lack of dedication and professionalism on the PEA's behalf perhaps.)

Someone who repairs small appliances like fans should be able to repair a washing machine (and visa versa). If you are expecting grade A repairs by certified electricians using only the highest quality parts, then you are in the wrong country.
You get what you pay for. If you are lucky, the repair man does a half decent job for a reasonable price. If not, toss it and buy a new one.

13 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

You get what you pay for. If you are lucky, the repair man does a half decent job for a reasonable price. If not, toss it and buy a new one.

Fans are cheap.  Why risk electrocution?  The words "lucky" and "electricity" should not be used in the same sentence.

Toss it and buy another one.   

2 hours ago, Leaver said:

Why is a washing machine different, because it's bigger and more expensive? All I know is my repair guy has fixed a couple of fans that are still running years later. Some actually know what they are doing. If the cost of repair outweighs the cost new, then it's a different story. The world is getting buried in trash as it is.

On 6/3/2020 at 10:47 AM, giddyup said:

Some actually know what they are doing.

How to tell which ones?

If the cost of repair outweighs the cost new, then it's a different story.

There would only be a few hundred baht difference with a fan.

Why is a washing machine different,

The brand name companies have authorized service centers. Yes, these could have staff that are not properly trained, or incompetent, as well, but are usually more professional. 

On 6/2/2020 at 5:17 PM, topt said:
On 6/2/2020 at 4:44 PM, petermik said:

There,s a guy on 3rd road opposite soi 14

On 6/2/2020 at 5:10 PM, mran66 said:

Handicapped man shop on 3rd road, right before soi 19 on west side driving north

I have used him a few times over the years, still here to tell the tale and not aware of him killing anyone else yet. Go for it,

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Leaver said:

The brand name companies have authorized service centers. Yes, these could have staff that are not properly trained, or incompetent, as well, but are usually more professional. 

Had the authorised repair man from Franke, the maker of our rangehood, tell us a new motor was required at a cost of 8000 baht, took the motor to a local guy who repaired it for 100 baht. Still going strong 2 years later. A lot of these so called authorised repairmen are rip-off merchants. But hey, if whatever fails/breaks and you see the only answer is to buy a new one, do it, and I'll do it my way.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, giddyup said:

But hey, if whatever fails/breaks and you see the only answer is to buy a new one, do it, and I'll do it my way.

I'm not suggesting that.  Also, you think everything goes into landfill.  A lot gets recycled here, including e-waste.

New fans are cheap.  Whenever there is a news thread about poor safety standards here, it gets many posts, particularly if an incident has hurt or killed a tourists, such is the lack of safety standards here.  How many news stories have there been over the years where people have been electrocuted here? 

Is a cheap fan worth the risk on Somchai knowing what he is doing, or even being sober enough to do it?  

Just now, Leaver said:

I'm not suggesting that.  Also, you think everything goes into landfill.  A lot gets recycled here, including e-waste.

New fans are cheap.  Whenever there is a news thread about poor safety standards here, it gets many posts, particularly if an incident has hurt or killed a tourists, such is the lack of safety standards here.  How many news stories have there been over the years where people have been electrocuted here? 

Is a cheap fan worth the risk on Somchai knowing what he is doing, or even being sober enough to do it?  

Like I said, each to their own.

15 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Like I said, each to their own.

I'm not arguing with you.  I take your point.  I go out of my way to recycle. 

I just don't have any faith in lower paid Thai workmanship, especially when it comes to electricity, and as you know, Thailand is  2 PIN plug country, and I doubt there are any safety devices installed in the main electrical panel box.

Edited by Leaver

On 6/3/2020 at 5:47 PM, giddyup said:

Why is a washing machine different, because it's bigger and more expensive? All I know is my repair guy has fixed a couple of fans that are still running years later. Some actually know what they are doing. If the cost of repair outweighs the cost new, then it's a different story. The world is getting buried in trash as it is.

I use the guy mentioned earlier in the thread in soi khao Noi, he's great and comes to my house.

A 500b pedestal fan stopped working and whilst not urgent I told the missus to give him a call, repaired 2 hours later at my house for Bt100.00 and has been working fine ever since (3 years).

Washing machine stopped working, was dead as a dodo.... he came round within the hour and had it sorted, a rodent had chewed the cable.... cost  Bt.180.00.

• Like 1