Thailand ‘State of Emergency’ may be extended

webfact

Why do I have this feeling that the government real purpose is to disallow political dissent gathering.

With this low number of imported case and zero internal case, it is silly not to open the economy now.

8 hours ago, statman78 said:

I don’t expect international flights to resume in July.  I had a flight booked to the US and back for late July.  Two days ago Cathay Pacific cancelled the Hong Kong to Bangkok flight and could not provide another flight.  I cancelled the entire trip.  It’s too bad since I was going to attend a school reunion.

Bad move. If you cancelled there might be a reduced chance of getting refunds. You should have waited until the sirline cancelled all subsequent flights.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, umlungu2012 said:

Bad move. If you cancelled there might be a reduced chance of getting refunds. You should have waited until the sirline cancelled all subsequent flights.

I booked it through American Airlines using miles.  I already have all my miles redeposited without any fees and an email stating that the service charge refund is being processed.  

• Like 1

On 6/8/2020 at 4:02 PM, Donutz said:

Must be health for reasons and not 'national security' (people speaking up are dangerous don't you know?). 

People speaking up disappear , in Land of smiles ..

• Like 1

9 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

Ah that old chestnut yet again. Please tell us precisely what Thailand has done that the USA or UK did not .

Thailand has simply mimicked the lockdowns elsewhere though neglected the major financial support that goes hand in hand with the policy.

In addition it has not tested anywhere near enough people to have amassed sufficient data to gauge what to do next.

Racked up 10,000 cases a day?

Never saw - or heard of - a non-Islamist country more against the consumption of alcohol. Restaurants open but cannot have a beer with your meal. Ridiculous. But so is this government. 

20 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

I'm sorry I disagree, they admit that the schools opening and the possible admission of outside tourist arriving do clash...!!

I wouldn't see clash as much as coincide.

Up to you, we are all entitled to what we think but how can schools reopening affect anything especially opening the borders and allowing international travellers in? They are not even remotely connected.

One comes under Education department and the other is the Tourist Authority, State government of Thailand along with Immigration.

Neither of these department has anything to do with the other.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, john west said:

On the question of holidays and surely no late Songkran, leave it to next year but the grandparents who basically look after the blood parents children  for 4 months deserve a few days respite and a short holiday for themselves & include the children as well, that is if they want to come and they get very independent these days, well some of them.
The Grandparents deserve a littl holiday for sure.

I agree, Scheduling the postponed National Holidays will be a great little holiday for the grandparents as the parents will be home from work to look after their kids.

54 minutes ago, Logosone said:

So gyms open, massage parlours open, restaurants open, malls open.

It's just schools and aiports that are still closed?

Some private schools have gone online.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scouse123 said:

I wouldn't see clash as much as coincide.

Up to you, we are all entitled to what we think but how can schools reopening affect anything especially opening the borders and allowing international travellers in? They are not even remotely connected.

One comes under Education department and the other is the Tourist Authority, State government of Thailand along with Immigration.

Neither of these department has anything to do with the other.

And what does differing departments have to do with clashing or coinciding as you like to call it of what the government terms as risks with opening high risk stage 4, don't forget in the original post it was the government that was not happy that the two were scheduled to happen at the same period in time

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

Some private schools have gone online.

Perhaps those pupils come from more affluent parents who can provide laptops, fibre optic internet connections and have stay at home parents.

Sadly the rest of Thailand may not be able to afford to do that.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Geoffggi said:

And what does differing departments have to do with clashing or coinciding as you like to call it of what the government terms as risks with opening high risk stage 4, don't forget in the original post it was the government that was not happy that the two were scheduled to happen at the same period in time

If infection rates are what they say they are there is no problem opening schools tomorrow.

Schools and education is an internal part of the Thai governments duty of care to the children of the nation.

International visitors be them businessman and companies ( which many will be initially ) are vital to the economy of the country and getting industry going again, is or should be, far higher up in the list of priorities of any government.

You don't put all that on hold because it coincides with kids going back to school. They have already had 3 months plus off,  Your implying that they can't do two things at once, if that's the case they shouldn't be in government at all.

Millions and millions unemployed, and many won't be able to find money for any school or university fees or uniforms without jobs, and many are dependent on tourism.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2020 at 4:22 PM, FritsSikkink said:

The delayed Songkran holidays from 7-9 July.

There are loads of people who have been working throughout the pandemic, they would like a holiday.

So with Pattaya having water restrictions, people being out of work for 3-4 months no money to buy food, schools been closed for 4 months, in a country that has more public holidays than anywhere else in the world, and just coming out of a pandemic why in GOD's name would you want to risk everything on a holiday that does not pertain to the real reason of Songkran Geez! how crazy are these people who supposedly have the interests of the people at heart

17 hours ago, essox essox said:

what EMERGENCY ??

2971 infections....only 58 deaths out of a population of approx. 65 million...!!!????

Huh ?? Well it would be an emergency, if you were laying on your back, on a ventilator  with the possibility of gasping your last breath - Right ?? You are trivialising 58 deaths that have families, sons, daughters, nieces, nephews, wives, extended relatives. The only positive has been the containment by Thailand by imposing severe restrictions. 2971 infections can become thousands mate. Like other countries. Sounds a bit callous to me.

20 hours ago, a977 said:

So with Pattaya having water restrictions, people being out of work for 3-4 months no money to buy food, schools been closed for 4 months, in a country that has more public holidays than anywhere else in the world, and just coming out of a pandemic why in GOD's name would you want to risk everything on a holiday that does not pertain to the real reason of Songkran Geez! how crazy are these people who supposedly have the interests of the people at heart

Which 4 months did they close schools down for ?

Public holidays, Thailand is 6th on the list behind China, Colombo, Philippines, India and Hong Kong.

On 6/12/2020 at 4:48 AM, Don Mega said:

Which 4 months did they close schools down for ?

Public holidays, Thailand is 6th on the list behind China, Colombo, Philippines, India and Hong Kong.

March April May June I do believe that is four 

On 6/12/2020 at 4:04 AM, Bangkocker said:

You are trivialising 58 deaths

But  not the  7800 that would  normally have occurred  during the last 4 months on the roads that no one bats an eyelid at. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, bodga said:

But  not the  7800 that would  normally have occurred  during the last 4 months on the roads that no one bats an eyelid at. 

These experiences are not mutually exclusive. You are just throwing in a red herring. "no one bats an eyelid at 7800 road deaths" Really ?? Of course the road toll is serious. But we are talking about c-19. The road toll is another issue that the authorities need to grapple with. A few hundred carriers of C-19 can infect hundred of thousands. Just relax !! Thailand will open up SOON.

Edited by Bangkocker

• 2 weeks later...

My 2 bobs worth: Not gunna happen.

Numbers will skyrocket in the US in the next month, Germany now seeing sharp rise, rest of Europe not out of the first wave of infections yet, China experiencing infections in one of the most densely populated cities in the world, South America off the charts with daily infection rates, Russia serious problems and said to be wildly underreporting. Spain announced opening its borders to tourism - watch what happens there ! Off your trolley to travel internationally to or come on contact with folks from these countries as you travel in my opinion, unless of course you think this virus is a hoax or just a’flu’, or that somehow magically you won’t become infected and transmit all over the shop as you travel the globe.