Hospitals instructed to test all admitted patients for virus

webfact

Hospitals instructed to test all admitted patients for virus

By The Nation

800_9c379753259a5bc.jpg?v=1591680041

File Photo

Public Health Ministry permanent secretary Sukhum Karnchanapimai sent a letter yesterday (June 8 ) to hospitals nationwide instructing them to test all admitted patients for Covid-19.

The decision was made by the Committee for Emergency and Medical and Public Health Operations.

According to the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration, Thailand is now at the level of 14 days without any new local case, but the number of imported cases, which are asymptomatic, are growing.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30389315

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-06-09

4 minutes ago, webfact said:

to hospitals nationwide instructing them to test all admitted patients for Covid-19.

typical thai; how can that work ? doesnt it require an onsite lab ? does he think small cities' hospitals have that ? and the expertise to do it properly ? more foolishness from the top

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

typical thai; how can that work ? doesnt it require an onsite lab ? does he think small cities' hospitals have that ? and the expertise to do it properly ? more foolishness from the top

It's been working, quite successfully so far. There have been many samples taken from around the country where clusters have been identified. If there isn't a lab close by then they are sent to nearest one, There's probably a whole network of couriers set up to get them there.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, KMartinHandyman said:

Horse door barn 

Not quite.  Looks like someone now wants to be proactive since no domestic cases are being found.  Now is the time to check for those asymptomatic carriers who could possibly infect others in order to get a true or at least a better picture since they never tested before.

• Like 1

When they say they will test all admitted patents do they mean any time anyone sees a doctor for anything at all or do they mean when you are a patent in the hospital?

Edited by redwood1

9 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Its called the PCR test........They ram that long Q-tip into your nose till it just about reaches your lower brain......It can be painful...Its main purpose I think is to demoralize the person getting the test....

I will never get this jammed into my nasal passages....

They also seem to have a new type of test now that uses saliva. It's the one used by DDC for the 100k test set.

Edited by DrTuner

1 hour ago, smedly said:

good idea - start testing when the chance of actually finding anyone infected are slim, they have either died of viral pneumonia or recovered

How about publishing Thailands deaths over the last 5 months - likely unrecorded or known let alone the diagnosis 

and for those that want to criticize my post - produce the figures first 

There you go.

vminfjsibt151.thumb.jpg.600834764c08f3bd549b29f6deef4da1.jpg

Over the previous years there's been a variability of about 7,000 deaths in the first half of the year.

So unless the Covid death toll starts to be around 5,000 to 10,000 people you won't really see any significant differences. Such an amount of death would mean about 200K infected, with maybe 50-60K with noticeable symptoms. That's something that would be pretty difficult to swipe under the rug no?

Oh, and about hiding this within the pneumonia case, they also addressed the issue:

Now you can always say they're fudging the numbers. And there's no way to prove they don't.
But every day that passes where hospitals remain quiet, where no nurse or doctor leak something online is another nail in the coffin of these conspiracy theories.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

When they say they will test all admitted patents do they mean any time anyone sees a doctor for anything at all or do they mean when you are a patent in the hospital?

says admitted, that means patient staying in hospital

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

So get tested even if you have a broken leg?

Yep - and what's the betting that, if you were to test positive, you might then be ordered back home to self-isolate for 14 days before the hospital were willing to start treating your broken leg by encasing it in a plaster?

56 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Its called the PCR test........They ram that long Q-tip into your nose till it just about reaches your lower brain......It can be painful...Its main purpose I think is to demoralize the person getting the test....

I will never get this jammed into my nasal passages....

Don't concern yourself. Help is at hand. They have discovered evidence of the covid 19 virus in faeces. 

I needed surgery for an inflamed gallbladder last month and had to wait a day for results of a covid test before they would operate.  I spit, they X-rayed my lungs, put a swab up my nose and another down my throat.  Of course, they want to protect the healthcare workers.

1 hour ago, jybkk said:

Oh, and about hiding this within the pneumonia case, they also addressed the issue:

There's a over the median difference in weeks 0-5, before the news about the virus hit the general population. Seems the bump started somewhere around week 45 of 2019. That'd be November-January.

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

Yep - and what's the betting that, if you were to test positive, you might then be ordered back home to self-isolate for 14 days before the hospital were willing to start treating your broken leg by encasing it in a plaster?

None.

4 hours ago, smedly said:

good idea - start testing when the chance of actually finding anyone infected are slim, they have either died of viral pneumonia or recovered

How about publishing Thailands deaths over the last 5 months - likely unrecorded or known let alone the diagnosis 

and for those that want to criticize my post - produce the figures first 

I’m totally with you, let’s see deaths published, especially pneumonia, (I read that in the months Jan to March, there was 11,000. But pneumonia only? No Wuhan flu.

4 minutes ago, bluedoc said:

I’m totally with you, let’s see deaths published, especially pneumonia, (I read that in the months Jan to March, there was 11,000. But pneumonia only? No Wuhan flu.

That data is not made available to the public. The 11k you are referring to is probably a summary at some point of the hospital deaths outside of BKK attributed to pneumonia which is published somewhere per prior posts on here. Last reference I saw of that was higher. Also, that aggregate number is for the fiscal year starting in Oct so you have to adjust. 

If the NYT article is based on valid data and you start that increased amount (4%) of deaths in the middle of January, that would mean an extra 9,400 deaths here. I tried to look at the methodology report for that article and found their methods and sources for every country other than Thailand. So, not sure where they are getting their data or how they are making their estimate. My take on the methods that are clearer in re the other countries in their analysis is that they are being conservative. That means they are leaving out some speculative amounts that one could reasonably include (with better data sources). 

• Like 1