Rhodes Must Fall - Oxford protesters target statue of colonialist

webfact

7 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

It's obvious  that what was posted is a misrepresentation to anyone who has actualy paid attention to what Khan said, however, for the avoidance of any doubt here's what was said:

Statues of historical figures linked with slavery could be torn down across London, Sadiq Khan said today.

The Mayor launched a “diversity commission” to investigate which statues should be retained and which new ones should be erected to represent the achievements of all Londoners, especially black and minority ethnic Londoners.

Mr Khan said: “It is an uncomfortable truth that our nation and city owes a large part of its wealth to its role in the slave trade and while this is reflected in our public realm, the contribution of many of our communities to life in our capital has been wilfully ignored.”

The Mayor’s Commission.....will review the landmarks that make up London’s public realm, “further the discussion into what legacies should be celebrated”, and make a series of recommendations. It will consider murals, street art, street names, statues and other memorials.

________________________________________________________________________________

To sum that up as Khan being "dictatorial" is certainly a misrepresentation in my opinion, wouldn't you concur?

....................................................................................................................................................................................

Where is the mis-representation ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-52977088

As Mayor of London, he would have authorised it. More will come...

Where is the mis-representation ?

Well describing what was actually said as "a knee jerk reaction" and using the term "dictatorial attitude" doesn't accurately represent "launching a commission", "investigate", "review", "further the discussion", "make recommendations" and "consider".

As Mayor of London, he would have authorised it.

Is that just a baseless assumption on your part or do you have any evidence that he did in fact authorise it? Indeed the link that you yourself posted seems to be at odds with your opinion:

Mr Khan told BBC Radio 4's Today programme he did not have ownership of the statues and the land they are on.

He also said it would be "inappropriate" to single out which statues and street names he thinks should go.

How very dictatorial of him!

More will come...

I hope so.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

I just answered you, you do know what slavers did don't you?

You know, stole peoples freedom...

Then there was the whole De Beers set up, those diamonds were valuable...

Lets see what else, mineral wealth, gold, land, crops grown on those lands, treasures of the countries occupied...

Oh and I never said how much was stolen.

And Facebook hasn't....?  ????

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, Logosone said:

Yes, it would be trillions for sure. After all the British empire was built on piracy, presumably the Spanish have a legitimate claim against the criminal acts of Francis Drake? Then Indonesia, Malaysia and Burma could claim in the trillions for the removal of raw materials by force and deception.

Of course the big one would be India where anti-British sentiment is simmering to this day for the shameless exploitation of India.

At the beginning of the 18th Century, India's share of the world economy was 23%, as large as all of Europe put together. By the time the British departed India, it had dropped to less than 4%.

The debt the UK owes to India is absolutely staggering:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-33618621

Then there's Africa, diamonds, mines, slaves, and countless other resources were pilfered by the British.

And let's not forget the Caribbean, Jamaica has already demanded billions in reparations.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/sep/30/should-britain-government-reparations-slavery

Very wise of the UK leftists to support these demands for reparations, I'm sure the UK can afford it easily. After all, would be racist not to pay.

What a complete load of tosh...You obviously have never read about other European country's history..

I am glad you mentioned "Leftists" though, clears things up regarding your posts...

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

And taken down by those in authority at the time. Just look at London where they are getting rid of these statues to glorify slave traders. 

Scotland too, you better get back there as soon  you can to organise stuff, Rob Roy may have topped an African pizza delivery lad and is a marked statue.......????

16 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

Wait until the idiots try to remove Horatio Nelson from Trafalgar Square. Might please the French though.

Well it is rumoured, by the lefty lot, that Nelsons onboard cook was African, so he may not be safe up there....???? 

12 hours ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

...he was no angel, armed robbery is a pretty serious crime but it was quite a time ago (2007) and other minor theft and drug convictions . But all that's completely irrelevant when you see how he met his end at the hands of the Minnesota police. Shocking 

A machete or other sharp implement ....?

21 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Could not agree less, university is all about thinking and expressing a view.

You don't like the view, then articulate an argument that can be debated rather than saying don't speak...

They are not debating; they are screaming and disrupting and demanding and one eyed. Why should I behave nicely when they are being rude?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Trillian said:

Amen! As if the statue was something that people worshiped every day rather than appreciated as a reminder of history and a work of art. These idiots who are ransacking the country and destroying these reminders of history need to go do something useful and productive with their time rather than push me to become a supporter of the Far Right, which is not really where I want to be out of choice.

This, IMO, is Britain's equivalent of <deleted>, but the thugs are on the other side of the political divide.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

They are not debating; they are screaming and disrupting and demanding and one eyed. Why should I behave nicely when they are being rude?

The individual I quoted in my post and most of those speaking at the take rhodes down protest in oxford seem to be in control, articulate and peaceful but, hey, why let the facts get in the way eh...

Here’s a link for you

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/09/protesters-rally-in-oxford-for-removal-of-cecil-rhodes-statue

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bluespunk said:

The individual I quoted in my post and most of those speaking at the take rhodes down protest in oxford seem to be in control, articulate and peaceful but, hey, why let the facts get in the way eh...

Here’s a link for you

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/09/protesters-rally-in-oxford-for-removal-of-cecil-rhodes-statue

I doubt they know enough of the history of Britain to even be able to debate it in a meaningful way. Hence their demands for a statue to be removed because they are such snowflakes that it offends them. If they are offended by such they should go home to their own countries which are obviously bastions of peace and love between all races, and where they will be able to sit around the campfire at night singing kumbaya.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I doubt they know enough of the history of Britain to even be able to debate it in a meaningful way. Hence their demands for a statue to be removed because they are such snowflakes that it offends them. If they are offended by such they should go home to their own countries which are obviously bastions of peace and love between all races, and where they will be able to sit around the campfire at night singing kumbaya.

I’d say they are articulating their views in a rational manner based upon the factual information available on the oxford protests. The protester I quoted has a very good grasp of why it is desirable to remove the rhodes statue. 

Edited by Bluespunk
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, JensenZ said:

Edmund Hillary, the New Zealander who took all of the credit for being the first man to reach the summit of Everest. His Sherpa guide Tenzing was nothing but a side note. I see the PC brigade have caught up and he now gets a surname. 

James Cook, on that list, is quite debatable too. He dispossessed, for the Crown, Australia's indigenous people from their land. Does that make him a hero? His first encounter with the Maoris resulted in a fight that killed some... of course they weren't important because they were "natives". No doubt the Aboriginals and Maoris would have been quite content had Cook never come to visit.

Pity you don't know what you are talking about.

Hillary in his book refused to say who was first on top, saying the credit should be shared equally.

Hillary did a great deal for the benefit of the Sherpas.

NZ Maoris indulged in slavery and other unsavoury activities, which were stopped under British rule.

Don't let the facts get in the way of a rant though.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

16 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

I just want to see the Liverpool team having to celebrate lifting the trophy whilst social distancing, fake plastic champions COYG

The protesters seem to a lot college and uni students, which are all shut in most countries around the world. That's why I think it will continue and morph into more anti-government protests with rising unemployment.

Where's Maggie when she's needed? She'd have sorted the rabble pronto. Unfortunately Boris has been found wanting when it came to it.

On 6/10/2020 at 4:15 PM, TheDark said:

I believe, the protests are against systematic oppression. Fire which was ignited by death of one man.

The Irish were oppressed by the British for centuries. I don't hear the protestors mentioning them- probably because they were white. Hypocrisy writ large.