Think twice before riding a motorcycle in Thailand - Thai biker in wheelchair warns others

webfact

2 hours ago, tlandtday said:

Riding a motorcycle in thailand cas still be relatively safe and manageable but you must be ride in a passive/aggressive defensive manner and certainly not a boy racer style with skinny tires and no lights at breakneck speeds.

I have a friend in the hospital right now with horrendous injuries...  She was a very careful rider.. she was hit by an ice truck.. not her fault .. it is very dangerous out there even if you take care.  There are too many out there that do not care.

• Like 1

Last Saturday around 4 PM the were two ambulances in the center of the Sukhumvit-Asoke intersection, a young man was on his back, had on a GRAB vest or jacket, I watched them stabilize him and finally get him into one of the ambulances.

I had 6 bikes till finally sold the last one in my 40s after nearly going over a cliff toward the ocean in Marin county. An accident with my first one in Germany when I was 21 should have been my death, but I landed just right. 

I never get on a bike taxi in Thailand, I'm crazy but not that crazy.

• Like 2

I have a full UK motor bike licence and have been riding off and on for more years than I can remember, but when I arrived in Thailand I informed my lovely Thai Wife that I would like to buy and ride a motor bike.  She pleaded with me not to do so and as she was so ernest about it, I didn't.  However, in the 15 years I have been here, I have seen no end of motor bike accidents and thank my lucky stars that I look her advice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Titan1962 said:

90% of the idiots on the roads are boy racers relying heavily on other road users to avoid them. Most of the female riders have more common sense and are not willing to put themselves in as much danger.

I still get frustrated as <deleted> driving and riding here in Thailand,but I know nothing will change. For instance just yesterday while at the 7/11 observed a motorcycle with two kids on it riding on the main road. Guarantee both of them would have been under 12 years old,no helmets and the bike didn’t even have a number plate on it.

So it’s all part of living in Thailand and the culture,the families allow their kids to ride underage and unlicensed. The police don’t enforce the law to a point that it will stop. So my advice would be,just be extra careful and always expect the unexpected,especially vehicles pulling out in front of you.

You are so right,...

"always expect the unexpected,especially vehicles pulling out in front of you! !!! this is what I always say.

Never assume that the cars in front of you will drive correctly and in a safe manner !!!

2 hours ago, KhunKenAP said:

If you drive a motorcycle in Thailand it is not a question of "Will I be in a motorcycle accident, it is when". 

I had drive motorcycles all my life I did it every days in Thailand for nine years now, so in my opinion it is not a question of "will" nor "when" but a question of "how" you drive.

Nothing replaces long experience, when I see motorcycles driving on the left end up on the right side of the lane, that is to say in the middle of the road, because they cannot do otherwise, I tell myself that few people know what it means to master a trajectory on a motorcycle, so afterwards there is little chance that all these people will know how to avoid any obstacle! In Koh Samui already three-quarters of Westerners drive without a helmet, that says a lot about their way of understanding the dangers of the motorcycle.

10 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

Helmets no matter how much they cost don't really offer much protection against body and leg injuries

I hope the bars open soon - i'm losing the will to live reading some of the idiotic posts on this forum

I understand you in bars, conversations are so much more intellectual????

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, curious297 said:

I've been riding a bike in Phuket and around Thailand for over 16 years and had only one accident. First days on the bike, I slipped on dirt at the side of the road while breaking. 

A few simple rules I follow to survive:

• Keep away from the dust and <deleted> in the left lane
  • Drive with the traffic and not through traffic
  • Mirror, signal and manoeuvre
  • Stay behind at distance. Do not drive side by side to other vehicles
  • Be vigilant of cars turning in and out of roads. They will pull out without warning
  • Don't Jump traffic lights
  • Don't drive in the rain. Car drivers rarely adjust their speed or breaking distance in rain.
  • Don't drive with your whole family as passengers.
  • Stop trying to impress yourself with your bike skills. No one cares
  • Most important - Be safer than safe

Agree. Riding 12 years in Thaland, 1 accident, have 4 bikes. Slipped once with a scooter coz of a dirty road at moderate speed. Has cost me 3 teeth, as I was wearing an open face helmet and some scratches...

3 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

I think I would win the bet that he did not wear any of the protective items that the driver on the left pic wears..

That is seriously one naive post. 

Explain which "protective items" would of resulted in better outcomes. 

Seems no head injuries or mention of of skin damage damage etc.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, curious297 said:

I've been riding a bike in Phuket and around Thailand for over 16 years and had only one accident. First days on the bike, I slipped on dirt at the side of the road while breaking. 

• Be vigilant of cars turning in and out of roads. They will pull out without warning
  • Don't drive in the rain. Car drivers rarely adjust their speed or breaking distance in rain.

I am sure, it is not about YOUR ability to ride a bike but more about the "ups - mai pen rai" attitude of other road users which makes riding a bike so dangerous.

In last 5-6 years, we had rides by scooter (Honda Click, Yamaha fino, Yamaha spark) - koh Samui - Phuket, koh Samui - Pinang, koh Samui - Bangkok, Chiangmai, Pai, passed all north Lao from Thai border near Chiang Rai to Vientiane, also I've passed on Click from Samui to Pattaya, then Poipet - Siem Reap - Sihanoukville and back. More than 50 000km, no accidents ???? Have to say, driving in Cambodia is much more dangerous - most motorbikes running around 40km/h, and car drivers not pay attention to them at all. And when you driving 100-110, you have good chance to get a car, riding towards your lane.

Need to have some experience, and keep full attention on the road, and know how local people driving - it is more important than big/small bike: big bike much faster, but can stop quickly and safe. Also driving in Bangkok a little bit nervous, and lot of roads there with motorcycle prohibited

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

I had a course of Physio at a local government hospital ... it was saddening to see how many young guys were in wheelchairs ...

I live in a small rural village.  And I cannot help shivering when I see young guys without any protection at all (no helmet, just a short and slippers) race at over 50 miles/hour with their motorcycles through the main-street, completely ignoring the side-streets to the main road.  Obviously the noise of their motorcycle acts as a kind of 'here I come' warning-signal, but if a dog, buffalo, tractor, or whatever would come out of any of those side-streets the carnage would be formidable.  In the two years I live there it hasn't happened yet, and I hope it never will but know from personal experience that an accident can lie in a small corner.  My guardian angel has protected me already a couple of times, but no need to challenge him on a daily basis with risk-prone behavior (which includes not anticipating that other road-users might be a bit crazy).  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tchooptip said:
1 hour ago, darrendsd said:

Helmets no matter how much they cost don't really offer much protection against body and leg injuries

I hope the bars open soon - i'm losing the will to live reading some of the idiotic posts on this forum

I understand you in bars, conversations are so much more intellectual

That would depend on with whom you have your conversation. Given his comment, I very much doubt that any conversation with 'OneeyedJohn' could ever be considered 'intellectual' !!! :1zgarz5:

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, curious297 said:

Good advice but I will add some more:

• Try to avoid riding in the evening and at night if possible (Many drunk drivers on the road will increase the chances of an incident happening. Many Thai men drink and drive after work between 5pm and 10pm)
  • Never ride angry
  • Never ride under the influence
  • Watch out for stray dogs they are a real menace to a biker
  • Wear protective riding gear including proper jacket, boots and helmet at a minimum
  • Keep away from larger vehicles such as buses and trucks (often they cannot see you or simply don't care if they run over you)
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

They may know how to balance a bike and thread through traffic, that makes them skilled in handling a motorcycle, many would probably do well on a motorcycle obstacle course.

However, many, most, the majority, are most definitely not skillful riders, they are a hazard to themselves and those around them. Almost every time I am riding my motorcycle it is another motorcycle which sits in my blind spot or on my shoulder such that I am left without an exit route to swerve around road imperfections, potholes, poorly laid drains, oil patches etc.

A major skill in riding a motorcycle is in recognising hazards. When generalising, this something Thai riders fail at.

They certainly break road rules all the time which let's them down but one thing I've noticed when crossing paths with them, they nearly always wait to see where you are going before they commit to a route, smart riding, I don't see farang doing that

I'm a cyclist and live in Korat,what amazes me is when I go on the bicycle events with everybody from my village and surrounding villages they all wear bicycle helmets.The next day you see the same people riding around on scooters,mopeds and motorbikes and not a crash helmet in sight.

4 hours ago, billd766 said:

Sometime in the 1980s I used to have a Yamaha 250cc and I only came off twice, both times on the wet grass out side my house. That was in the days of once you passed your bike test you could ride any sized motor bike.

A 19 year old passed his test, went to the big motorbike shop in the village and bought himself a nice 1,000 cc Honda and road it away. 2 hours later he was dead.

I have been riding scooters and bikes in Thailand since about 2007. I rode for 10 years on a Honda and a Yamaha scooter, A Honda Phantom 200 cc, a 550 cc Yamaha Virago and a Honda CB 400 cc. I came off the Yamaha scooter doing a slow U turn on gravel, I came off the Virago on some twisties due to rain and worn tyres, and was T-boned on my Phantom by 2 old ladies running the red light.

2 years ago at 75 I gave up biking as I feel too old and if I dropped a bike I would not be able to pick it up.

I have to say that it was fun at the time in Thailand but I won't miss it at all.

:thumbsup: I actually enjoyed my Yamaha, Virago 500 - thanks for the smile on that one mate :cool:

• Like 2