Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Thais Only: Bus companies, Bangkok temple bans foreigners citing COVID-19 restrictions

webfact

2 hours ago, Walker88 said:

-Govt owned transportation companies would ban foreigners

-Husbands and fathers of Thais would be prohibited from entering Thailand

-Foreigners with visas and permission to reside would be prohibited from entering Thailand

No foreigners are allowed in, that's not typically Thai at this moment. Try going to your European girlfriend when your are a Thai man and you get exactly the same problem.

My GF has a Schengen visa and can't go there at the moment. Nothing special again exactly the same with Thailand.

You are only right about the bus company, ONE bus company to be exact. That mistake will be corrected soon.

Yes anutin is a disgrace for Thailand, yes there are problems here. However no one is actively keeping families separated, that's just a result of global policies now and not specifically Thai

• Like 1

1 hour ago, statman78 said:

For our safety......

This is from an AP article;

One of Wat Pho’s administrative staff explained by phone that the temple committee decided to exclude foreigners because of concerns about COVID-19.

“The outbreak is still rampant in many countries, so we have to stay vigilant as advised by the government,” said Wit Artchinda.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/famed-thai-temple-bars-foreigners-entry-over-covid-19-fears/ar-BB15lnSo?ocid=spartandhp

Someone has not been reading the news!

The airports are closed for international flights!

There are no foreigners, coming into the country!

And if they were, they were not more Covid- ridden then the average Thai!

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Thailand said:

#oldfarangsmatter

no, they don't   #surplustorequirements

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

There won't be any TAT spin, as both decisions are short-term Covid related.  Wat Po have already clarified their notice, by claiming it's just to keep numbers down while the temple is being repaired. Most bus companies do not have the restriction, and the foreigners ban will be lifted once the Emergency decree ends, or sooner.

But it certainly boosts Richard Barrow's already high profile, and gives expats an excellent opportunity to get angry!

Rubbish. I found it out earlier, as A friend of mine wanted to book a bus ticket and had been rejected, without good reason. Even TAT could not explain and said " company policy". The thing with the Thai ID is utter BS. Also people from Myanmar or Laos don't have one.

To me the clows who invented this stupidity forgot that also non Thai nationals travel by bus or train.

35 minutes ago, Saint Nick said:

Yeah...I am all for measures that work and are sensible!

Like I said before: there is a 7eleven next to my condo, that asks me to give my name and telephone number - which I do!

...but there is NEVER a time noted, when I enter the shop and when I leave it!

So, if this is a means of tracing Covid- cases and eventual contacts, then why are they note taking the time?

I will tell you why: because Thailand is all show- no substance!

The numbers are and were fake from the beginning, most of the measures they implement make ZERO sense (open fresh markets- close beaches!) and then there are guys like you, who simply and uncritically support and cheer all of this dog & pony -show!

The only reason they can actually claim this "dirty farang"- BS, is that they fake their own numbers and only halfway reliably tested Thais, coming back from abroad!

You started well, then just descended into a rant, playing the game is what life is about, choosing what to agree with, what to ignore, what to take issue with, facing the consequences of those decisions relies on the judgement of the individual, but if selfish also can carry a knock on effect for others. My points are clear if there no need to be awkward and disruptive, if the end result is just to appease your own ego and <deleted> your hosts off then you are not a player and do not understand the game

Farangs , should buy cars , in thai wife's name .

Not travel on bus , not look good , for farangs .

Cheap Charlie's ..

Edited by elliss
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Traubert said:

Hurray!

Buddhism is the predominant religion in China anyway, did you know that?

Yes, I hear Buddhism is a real big hit especially in Tibet. The Dalai Lama is like a superstar in China, right? 

7 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I believe foreigners cannot use the govt. bus services now either.

Any you are still stupid enough to want to risk having your family and assets here?

The messages are loud and they are clear.

indisputable facts, Thailand is 50 years behind sensible, developed countries. This is note is all over the internet here. I sent it to people in my phone contacts, absolutely disgusting, it does not belong in todays world. Thailand is going to learn the hard way because your thinking is not alone. Only someone in denial would defend this and sing praises of LOS. 

Have not heard about the buses yet, i will look out for it.

Good and bad by Thailand.  It worked for a while but no more. 

I am so sorry about it. I can't help it.

There are always more beaches to find everywhere.

For example Canary Islands.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, connda said:

Did the Vatican allow Italian Catholics but ban "foreign' Catholics?

The answer is no.  This is not the same.

Wat Po is open to all Thais (Buddhist or non-Buddhist) and is closed to all 'foreigners' (Buddhist included).  And therein lies the problem.  The policy is racist.  The exclusion is based on ethnicity only. 

As I said, only someone in denial would defend this. i have been to Rome a few times, the Vatican thrives on tourism, they let everyone in (as long as you are appropriately dressed), absolutely no doubt about that. 

The world is going a bit crazy right now because of the terrible tragedy in the USA with the police killing that poor fella. The far right will be lapping it up and filling their boxes with ammunition. The only way to combat this is with sensible people sticking together and not getting sucked into all the nonsense. Racism has no place in the world today and Thailand should hang their head in shame.. people will vote with their feet for sure.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Alfa said:

Good and bad by Thailand.  It worked for a while but no more. 

I am so sorry about it. I can't help it.

There are always more beaches to find everywhere.

For example Canary Islands.

correct, the world is a big place. Plenty of beautiful places that are affordable and you don't have to endure things like this. Good luck to you.

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I believe Richard Barrow is a resident here. 

I don't believe he was wanting to go to this temple. 

Kinda the modern day 'Trink' 

I miss those Friday 2 pages in the Post. 

Nuff said. 

I miss "Night Owl" as well.

11 minutes ago, connda said:

But it is racism. 

I've lived here for well over a decade without leaving the country.
I'm a Theravana Buddhist.  I "give their time, provide daily food for the monks and have functions and collections for the upkeep of temples."  And yet I'm made to pay should I visit a temple like Wat Po, Wat Doi Suthep, and Wat Chedi Luang among others.  For myself?  I don't visit these temples any longer because I don't consider them to be practicing Buddhism.  They have truly lost the Dhamma.

You're repeating and propagating the xenophobic nonsense that is the basis of Thai racism.  That "All non-Thais are only 'overseas visitors'" which is their official policy even for long-term stay Non-O holders who have families and are integrated into the Thai communities including being practicing Buddhist. 

There is no place for racism in Buddhism.  The temples which now embrace racist policies including charging foreigners entry fees and excluding foreigner based on their ethnicity have lost the Dhamma and really should be avoided. 

Respect. Its better to be right than happy.