Thais Only: Bus companies, Bangkok temple bans foreigners citing COVID-19 restrictions

webfact

40 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Exactly my thought - how do you distinguish between an ethic Chinese Thai and a Chinese visitor to the temple - by showing a Thai ID card????  Photos (from internet) - ethnic Chinese Thai girls left, mainland Chinese girls right.

How would modern Thailand look if the ethnic Chinese did not ...image.jpeg.926c0c76c623758b0f5a882051a4de35.jpeg

Beats me, how do you do it in Cambodia?

• Haha 1

Just now, brewsterbudgen said:

Not very likely!  If foreigners were banned from the beaches, gogos or massage parlours it might! One temple and  few Govt. bus companies with silly policies isn't going to change anything.  

Acorns! e.g. Thai Railways banning booze on all trains because of the actions of one of their own druggedup/drunken employees! 

And let's not forget the "dirty unwashed foreigners" comment by The Minister of Health (who of all people should know better!) "If a Government Minister says it, it must be true!". This could well be one of the reasons for this latest acts of discrimination, and if Thailand are hoping to breathe some life back into the tourist industry, they are certainly not going the right way about it! 

Edited by sambum
  • Like 2

I can almost understand why, and in all truth it has NOTHING to do with Covid-19. In an article published by the temple, they state that with the areas closed for renovations, foreigners would be extremely unhappy if they paid their 200 baht entrance fee and then couldn't see anything because it was closed for renovations. So to a degree it actually makes sense not to let foreigners in until the renovations are complete.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

I normally do not get involved with the Thai government doing things.  For the most part, I sort of agree with what they are doing.  However, from an outside point of view, this is ridiculous.  All it tells me is that they do not want foreigners in their land.  It is getting to be more and more this way.  I live in Thailand 6 months each year, but I am beginning to feel like it may not be worth it.  It is just sad to me.

• Like 2

Why am I not surprized to once again see these racist xenophobics within or outside the military hunta spreadding hostility towars foreigners. TAT will probably soon explain that it is to protect us. On the other hand, the government praises Thailand to be safe for comings tourists but probably they first need to get rid of the dirty farangs because according Mr. Anutin they don't shower...depite being residwnts for decades in this sick Thai country...Shame on you Thailand, we will make sure the world knows how you treat foreigners...

Edited by P100

I remember when Wat Arun across the river was being renovated, there was a short period of time when it was closed to everyone. Then it reopened and was partially closed but open to everyone for the parts that were accessible. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

After 2 months of NO foreign arrivals in Thailand it is becoming clear

Becoming clear? How did you get it?

that some sectors now beleive they do not need us or our money. 

Tell it those who have lost their jobs as hotel staff, restaurants, retailers as well as anyone else related to the tourism and entertainment industry

My girlfriend working in a supermarket, her weekly working hours have been reduced by 50%. Therefore according to his testimony the situation is not good at all

Edited by Russel

This racism has been noted in America by family and friends. This is going to backfire as all racism does and Thailand is going to go downhill even faster now. Also, the Thais that live overseas will suffer from discrimination when more find out what goes on here. Thailand gets billions of dollars from foreigners every year and this will hurt the economy for their future. Thailand is a beautiful country and has some really nice people, but the sour taste is felt by more daily. They might get the Chinese back (who brought the disease) because money wins out over common sense and care of your own people. Covid will be back, and the next time it might take a few of the ones that are only looking at the dollars lost....................Richard later tweeted that a message posted on the Wat Pho Facebook page that said foreigners had not been permitted entry for their own safety and that the temple had been closed to tourists due to restoration work which is currently taking place.   So they are okay with Thais coming in, disregarding their safety?  

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, sambum said:

So tourists don't take buses in the UK or the rest of Europe, and if they do, they are "cheap charlies" or "bums"?

Off topic, but maybe the people/tourists/farangs that go on buses are maybe fed up of being ripped off by taxi drivers - half of whom won't take you to where you want to go anyway?

Or don't want to be hassled in the airport by the new rules, or living far away from an airport, or are afraid of flying, or...

I can only think those guys who are contemplating departure must have far bigger issues in the background, or have lost the ability to appreciate the good things Thailand has to offer, perhaps even forgotten why they liked Thailand in the first place!!

1) There are plenty of other Temples all over Thailand you can visit/worship in if you are that desperate!!

2) You can fly long distance or take a taxi, not too expensive, although might hopefully give the forum a break if some of you walked!!

Talk about blowing things out of all proportion!!!!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

This racism has been noted in America by family and friends. This is going to backfire as all racism does and Thailand is going to go downhill even faster now. Also, the Thais that live overseas will suffer from discrimination when more find out what goes on here. Thailand gets billions of dollars from foreigners every year and this will hurt the economy for their future. Thailand is a beautiful country and has some really nice people, but the sour taste is felt by more daily. They might get the Chinese back (who brought the disease) because money wins out over common sense and care of your own people. Covid will be back, and the next time it might take a few of the ones that are only looking at the dollars lost....................Richard later tweeted that a message posted on the Wat Pho Facebook page that said foreigners had not been permitted entry for their own safety and that the temple had been closed to tourists due to restoration work which is currently taking place.   So they are okay with Thais coming in, disregarding their safety?  

Better if the pretentious stay at home

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

I can almost understand why, and in all truth it has NOTHING to do with Covid-19. In an article published by the temple, they state that with the areas closed for renovations, foreigners would be extremely unhappy if they paid their 200 baht entrance fee and then couldn't see anything because it was closed for renovations. So to a degree it actually makes sense not to let foreigners in until the renovations are complete.

How dare you make sense!

This is a racist rant thread! Wash your mouth out and say three hail mary's to The Great Victor Meldrew!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mark131v said:

No I'm not joking from your actions you are saying that it is absolutely fine to discriminate on colour and race lines

There is no excuse at all these are people who have been in LoS since before lockdown so if I was you I would take the rose coloured glasses off and have a look around you but as already stated to each their own...

All these people 'who have been in LOS since before lockdown' suddenly want to visit this particular Temple while under repair and in the midst of a pandemic, well they don't appear very intelligent to my mind!! Good thing Thailand is saving them from their stupidity!!

I can understand restriction on interprovincial buses because the seats are limited and they should be restricted to Thai citizens during COVID.

By limited seats, I mean they must be spaced out so it's half capacity.

So the reason given by Wat Pho is it is under renovation?

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

Thailand: we need to welcome tourists to boost the economy after the pandemic.

Also Thailand: BAN FOREIGNERS!!!!

You couldn’t make this stuff up.

adult people who voluntarely go live in another country that they dont like.

reality is stranger than fiction.

okay, screamer, no, Thailand doesnt "ban foreigners". 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, 473geo said:

All these people 'who have been in LOS since before lockdown' suddenly want to visit this particular Temple while under repair and in the midst of a pandemic, well they don't appear very intelligent to my mind!! Good thing Thailand is saving them from their stupidity!!

I see I am dealing with the hard of thinking so I guess there is no point in further debate

A fella a few pages back mentioned the old fable along the lines of 'when they came for me there was nobody left' I hope it never comes to that but it wouldn't be the first time in history. Enjoy the things you like about LoS because attitudes are a changing....

• Like 1