Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Thais Only: Bus companies, Bangkok temple bans foreigners citing COVID-19 restrictions

webfact

Xenophobia in Thailand? You wouldn't say....

If the temple has limited capacity, limit .. the number of people? Put up a sign 'access restricted, temple open for worship only and maximum X people per hour/day'.

But then Wat Pho is one of those silly temples were foreigners need to pay an entry fee even if they want t to make merrit. Which I would call discrimination (racism? Since they would pick you out if you don't look Thai). 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Donutz said:

Xenophobia in Thailand? You wouldn't say....

If the temple has limited capacity, limit .. the number of people? Put up a sign 'access restricted, temple open for worship only and maximum X people per hour/day'.

But then Wat Pho is one of those silly temples were foreigners need to pay an entry fee even if they want t to make merrit. Which I would call discrimination (racism? Since they would pick you out if you don't look Thai). 

I wouldn't call letting 'locals' in free and have 'overseas visitors' pay racism - take into account 'locals' often give their time, provide daily food for the monks and have functions and collections for the upkeep of temples

• Confused 2

4 minutes ago, 473geo said:

I wouldn't call letting 'locals' in free and have 'overseas visitors' pay racism - take into account 'locals' often give their time, provide daily food for the monks and have functions and collections for the upkeep of temples

How do they check to see if the Thai person entering the temple is local or visiting and actually lives somewhere else? Remember, not all Thai people live in Thailand. How long do I have to live down the street from the temple and donate before I would be considered local in your scheme? If I verified my long-term nearby address and history of donations, would they let me in alongside the Thai person visiting from America?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 473geo said:

Only yesterday we had yet another guy on here on Tvisa joining the chorus if I am asked to 'sign anything I just sign Mickey Mouse'

We have seen many who constantly state mask wearing is useless and refuse to conform

We have seen those stating when entering shops they refuse to give a contact number or write a nonsense number

All failing to consider that new outbreaks of infections in Thailand are slated as being mostly from abroad, showing no consideration for the efforts of their Thai hosts to contain the virus, and showing little consideration for Thai people and their concerns given the current reputation of foreigners being a major risk

Now bleating because they 'reap what they sow' having behaved like errant and awkward children

The spotlight has been on the foreigners from the first reported and continued imported outbreaks, and what does the foreigner do to alleviate Thai concerns, complain and blatantly refuse to follow instruction!!!!

Thank you thailand for protecting me against dirty infected thais, thanks you!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

How do they check to see if the Thai person entering the temple is local or visiting and actually lives somewhere else? Remember, not all Thai people live in Thailand. How long do I have to live down the street from the temple and donate before I would be considered local in your scheme? If I verified my long-term nearby address and history of donations, would they let me in alongside the Thai person visiting from America?

Thai ID card?

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

That's not correct, its also from officials:

“COVID-19 is not stable yet. The temple can do it if they’re scared,”  Bangkok Metropolitan Administration’s deputy clerk Sompong Wiengkaew said. “It’s up to each temple what measures they want to implement.”

In other words official racism. 

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/bangkok/2020/06/11/officials-say-temples-can-deny-entry-to-foreigners-because-virus/

Note in that article that when people put up the sign in CM discriminating against the Chinese people, the Tourism Authority made them take it down. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

This is nothing more than a temple closed to tourists for renovation, its closed to "all" tourists, its still open for Thais to visit as a temple, to pray, to make merit etc. Foreigners visit a temple as tourists, Thai visit a temple as Buddhists.

?! Foreigners can be Buddhist to and/or wish to make merit. Some temples are cash cows though and demand entry fees from all people that don't look Thai. I have had few temples that wanted to charge me a few even though I was there to make merit. I walked away, no money for the merit making set (gold, lotus, incense) plus a voluntarily donation. Buddha would roll.. spin around in his grave if he had had one. These temples aren't exactly honouring Buddhism.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kotsak said:

Reminded me Bruce Lee movie Fist of Fury with a sign at the entrance of a park in Shanghai, in 1940’s during the Japanese occupation.

image.png.4ec10b88c0bfc9fc58aa5220c9350d49.png

I haven't heard of them prohibiting dogs from entering Wat Pho at this time. 

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

This is nothing more than a temple closed to tourists for renovation, its closed to "all" tourists, its still open for Thais to visit as a temple, to pray, to make merit etc. Foreigners visit a temple as tourists, Thai visit a temple as Buddhists.

I am a non-Thai, have been a Buddhist for 40 years, have been in this country for months, and don't think of myself as a tourist when I go to the temple. So, your explanation isn't very satisfying. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

He never mentioned 'locals', that was you. He was referring to Thai's in general. While foreigners have to pay.

You however are trying to justify this discriminatory act.

Locals, indigenous people, those who contribute to temples on a daily basis, versus those from overseas who choose to come to view the fruits of their labours. Justification for making a charge - simple economics

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

Nobodies disputing locals who make a contribution though?

It is a distinction between Thai's and foreigners, simple discrimination. 

Thai - a place of worship- daily contributions to Temples through out Thailand

Majority of Foreigner - Tourist attraction - pay towards maintenance and upkeep

Simple economics

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Simple economics

When my Thai wife and I (a non-Thai) go to a temple (or anywhere right now), we go as a foreigner who is paying for everything since the wife closed down her business. She has no income or money stashed away. This includes when we give money to local temples and food to the monks who come around once a week to our neighborhood. I pay all of that. So, by your logic, maybe I should get in for free and she should have to pay a fee?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I believe foreigners cannot use the govt. bus services now either.

Any you are still stupid enough to want to risk having your family and assets here?

The messages are loud and they are clear.

Ok so you have got the message

It's your move ....

11 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Simple economics

I think you'll find that tourists aside from their entrance fee also make voluntary contributions and are encouraged to do so by way of donations in the provided boxes, aside from the stalls selling trinkets for economics.

Edited by Bkk Brian

1 minute ago, JCP108 said:

When my Thai wife and I (a non-Thai) go to a temple (or anywhere right now), we go as a foreigner who is paying for everything since the wife closed down her business. She has no income or money stashed away. This includes when we give money to local temples and food to the monks who come around once a week to our neighborhood. I pay all of that. So, by your logic, maybe I should get in for free and she should have to pay a fee?

I go to my local Temple for free, I sit and talk to the Thai people, we eat together we all bring food they make me feel very welcome, perhaps as I live among them, perhaps as my family raise money for the upkeep of the temple, when we are blessed later by the monk we donate.

So why cannot overseas visitors just look at the entry fee as a standard donation, a days membership for overseas visitors - and view Thai people as fully paid up lifetime members

For our safety......

This is from an AP article;

One of Wat Pho’s administrative staff explained by phone that the temple committee decided to exclude foreigners because of concerns about COVID-19.

“The outbreak is still rampant in many countries, so we have to stay vigilant as advised by the government,” said Wit Artchinda.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/famed-thai-temple-bars-foreigners-entry-over-covid-19-fears/ar-BB15lnSo?ocid=spartandhp

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I think you'll find that tourists aside from their entrance fee also make voluntary contributions and are encouraged to do so by way of donations in the provided boxes, aside from the stalls selling trinkets for economics.

Ha Ha I am sure many do, but for sure they will not be the ones quibbling about a 20 baht 'entry fee' and screaming 'discrimination'

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

I think most Thais are completely fed up with the current situation. The government has done nothing for them, they are hurting and many have no jobs or income. The other "unspoken on TV" situation is being spoken about more openly by Thais and I've never heard that before. As the younger generation ages things will move ahead and change will eventually happen. The country could be so much better with a decent government.

You are correct, there is definitely a major dislike on all fronts of the power control and what it stands for and does. It will be like removing Excalibur from the stone before something will change. The country has always been overseen by the Privy council if you know or remember. But it goes farther than that. And Thai do speak, but not openly and loud. Too dangerous.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

You do realise this thread is about Wat Pho which charges tourists 500 Baht

Ah it's the amount people are reluctant to pay is it? Here was I thinking the discussion surrounded Thai people free Tourists paying.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, asiaexpat said:

The government owned interprovincial bus company states that all customers must use Thai ID to travel so they can track them should it be necessary. Many foreigners, myself included, have Pink ID cards that provide a ID number within the Thailand registry, so has anyone with a Pink ID tried to use the bus service?

The Wat Po exclusion is simply xenophobia and not very Buddhist in my opinion. 

The Pink ID Card has NO CHIP. They can not scan it.. They are not going to manually write down your ID number while boarding a bus.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, franzs said:

Thailand is my country after 30 years, but looking to Europe where I was born, the infected and dead number still high

but everybody wants to go on vacation to the beaches of Spain, Italy, Croatia Greece,

lets see how the case number look in autumn

...oooooor...let's see the REAL numbers from Thailand!

You know...the ones that comprehensive testing would provide!

Not some dreamed up BS!

• Thanks 2