Thais Only: Bus companies, Bangkok temple bans foreigners citing COVID-19 restrictions

webfact

2 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I can understand restriction on interprovincial buses because the seats are limited and they should be restricted to Thai citizens during COVID.

By limited seats, I mean they must be spaced out so it's half capacity.

So the reason given by Wat Pho is it is under renovation?

not allowing foreigners  who legally live here on public transport is DEEPLY TROUBLING. And you can be sure the ban is for farang only, not asian foreigners. That should give you a clue of your status in Thailand....

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mark131v said:

I see I am dealing with the hard of thinking so I guess there is no point in further debate

A fella a few pages back mentioned the old fable along the lines of 'when they came for me there was nobody left' I hope it never comes to that but it wouldn't be the first time in history. Enjoy the things you like about LoS because attitudes are a changing....

Thank you, I will and can, because I don't get pent up about things of little consequence.

This may come as a bit of a surprise, but I expect if I need to travel on a coach in a month or 2 all will be well. If I feel the urgent need to visit this particular Wat as apparently many foreigners do! providing I am not too stingy to pay the 'entrance fee' all will be ok there too.

1 minute ago, 473geo said:

Thank you, I will and can, because I don't get pent up about things of little consequence.

This may come as a bit of a surprise, but I expect if I need to travel on a coach in a month or 2 all will be well. If I feel the urgent need to visit this particular Wat as apparently many foreigners do! providing I am not too stingy to pay the 'entrance fee' all will be ok there too.

Good for you fella! have a nice life...

• Haha 1

Only ones complaining are the ones here on Thai Visa

The tourists will still  come to Thailand when the flights open up 

Keep reading on here  about when will the flights open up to come here from different people from different countries 

As we all know its money that counts no matter who you are or where you are from

• Like 1

What do you think the out-cry would be if ANY public utility (Bus Company etc) in ANY western country denied access to Thai people based on NOTHING other than ignorance and discrimination? I can only imagine but, it is a recognized fact  this is a xenophobic country. It is a wonder that any tourists come here at all. I am pulling up stakes when the world normalizes and leaving my second home...Thailand. 

• Like 2

Wat Pho was always less of a tourist trap than its neighbour, and when I last visited (after rudest staff ever seen at Wat Phra Keao that Gestapo would have immediately recruit to run Auschwitz) there was lots of restoration going on. Like any forward looking organisation that welcomes visitors, closure time, especially of fixed duration, is used for renovations and improvements. As it's still a temple, they can't quite close to those doing merits or praying, so I personally don't see anything wrong with their signs. Maybe only thing that's off is that their staff equates tourists with foreigners. There could be Buddhist foreigners living locally that may wish to go for tambun there. But it would be my guess that if Richard showed up there with basket of goods for the monks, he'd be let in.

None of this is any worse than the ridiculous UK government management of the virus response.

If I was in were in Thailand (instead of UK as I am now), looking at the relative infection and death rates (UK 1,000 times worse than Thailand), I would still want all visitors from UK banned from the country until the U.K. sorts itself out.

12 hours ago, webfact said:

800_4c382eec51f2b92.jpg

File photo

A famous Bangkok temple has banned foreigners from entering, citing restrictions due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

On Thursday, popular blogger Richard Barrow visited Wat Pho, known for its reclining Buddha statue, only to find signs erected outside which read: “ONLY THAI PEOPLE, NOW NOT OPEN FOR FOREIGNERS,” and “open for Thai people only”

No bitterness from farang I’ll take your temperature ???? thailand have a habit of shooting themselves in the foot. I’ve put it down to a poor educational system.

Actually, Thai's by and large, don't like Farangs in their temples anyway.  They would just as soon you leave your money in the donation boxes outside and move along.  Has been that way a long time. 

2 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

I can almost understand why, and in all truth it has NOTHING to do with Covid-19. In an article published by the temple, they state that with the areas closed for renovations, foreigners would be extremely unhappy if they paid their 200 baht entrance fee and then couldn't see anything because it was closed for renovations. So to a degree it actually makes sense not to let foreigners in until the renovations are complete.

They could of course drop the fee if that really was the reason. Makes no sense whatsoever

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Thanks 1

The temples are just a scam for the brainwashed anyhow ... for Thai locals and tourists alike from wherever. The temples hardly adhere to Buddhist teaching these days really anyhow now and just do the forked-tongue thing regarding buying merit or fortune ... which is a huge flagrant breach of Buddhist principles in reality. You can't buy redemption or virtue ... it can only be gained by active selfless action to the needy or positive deeds to the right cause in the right way (without the press factor of being seen all the time) or just doing what is right generally, which sadly is in short supply now so often. Most think they just need to go down the temple and buy their "Stairway to Heaven" .. as the famous song goes. So many are so lost on so many fronts.

35 minutes ago, Jiggo said:

Anyone used the Pattaya Bangkok bus as if there are any problems

Used it yesterday and no problem whatsoever. its just the Transport Company buses that wont let a foreigner ride on their bus. All other buses are fine. 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, mark131v said:

Bravo sir!

That completely and utterly hits the nail on the head!!

There is absolutely no other explanation and the apologists can say what they want but this behaviour is abhorrent and condoned at the very highest levels

It's utterly breathtaking a country that relies on tourism as much as LoS does have the lack of intelligence and foresight to allow this and do nothing about it, breathtaking but not at all surprising...

agree 100%.. the apologists just look silly now, only someone who is stupid would defend the situation... disgusting behaviour, best thing to do is simply boycott the country,,,

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shackleton said:

Only ones complaining are the ones here on Thai Visa

The tourists will still  come to Thailand when the flights open up 

Keep reading on here  about when will the flights open up to come here from different people from different countries 

As we all know its money that counts no matter who you are or where you are from

really, and the years of internet coverage on Thailands behaviour since the military took over was not affecting Thailand before the virus? Pattaya was suffering terribly when i got out of there, goodness only knows how much worse it is not going to get. The racism in Thailand is doing the rounds globaly, it is a very sensitive time for doing this kind of thing because of the terrible incident in Minnesota. If you think nobody has noticed you are very sorely mistaken. 

I have read many that speak of racism, discrimination and other absurdities by the Thai authorities

But what the others are doing? The entire SE asian are still closing to tourists therefore to foreigners So what are we talking about?

If the Thailand would be the only one doing such policy  then you would be right but is not like that.

So let's calm down.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Russel said:

Tell it those who have lost their jobs as hotel staff, restaurants, retailers as well as anyone else related to the tourism and entertainment industry

My girlfriend working in a supermarket, her weekly working hours have been reduced by 50%. Therefore according to his testimony the situation is not good at all

I also know a number of people with zero work and no income. The government doesn't consider them to be important as they have received no help or assistance and the borders are still shut to incoming visitors.

• Like 1

ban foreigns, totally big idiot need be, foreign and thai not have anythink different if live in thailand. chinese need banned all world.ewery borden need xclosede 1 year then help lot better. thai or foreign only idiot banned thats.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, raccos21 said:

It seems like near the future all the foreigners are going to have very hard time if they come to Thailand.

I don't know about near the time, i think it is well into the time. There are better places to visit where you don't have to endure the hatred, life is too short to put up with it. the Thai people don't want us so leave them to it and go somewhere else.

• Like 2

Don’t allow the ignorance of this to bring you down to their level. 

As for the temple, ‘shame on you, shame on you’. Apartheid such a repugnant disgusting mindset. Would of been better just to do a blanket ban instead of ignorance.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GAZZPA said:

shocking when you think about it. Even more shocking Thailand are putting signs like this up today.

There are so many,  farlangs / aliens , who look upon Thailand as their home .

What a fool believes .

Plan B,  is essential ..

Edited by elliss
  • Like 1