If You Suddenly Became Rich and Wanted to Travel.

17 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Did all that, Valley of the kings, Temple of Luxor, etc.

And Tunisia, Ruins of Carthage.

Also did all that in Jordan, Kings Highway, City of Petra, Camel ride to Wadi Rum.

And Israel, Dead Sea, Masada at dawn, Church of the Nativity, underground city in Jerusalem, wailing wall. 

Lots of skiing, lots of scuba diving ...........

Wasn't all that memorable.

I am not really interested in traveling anywhere except what I already mentioned, even Australia and other western countries with the exception of America of course, don't mean anything to me.

17 hours ago, geisha said:

My trip is an expensive one ! You said rich, so for me , a slow trip around the world, stopping off where I like, and for how long I like. A dream. Details , New Zealand, Polynesia, an African safari, Egypt, over to South America Argentina, Bolivia, and Finnish up in the US. Too much to see. 

If I really wanted to travel, it would only be America for me.

• Like 1

I would do the same what that Japanese actor did, take a railroad trip all around China to see the whole country for a year.

Then I'd do the same in Japan.

After that I'd drive through Italy for a year. Then through France for a year.

Would also go see Burma. Tennessee, Kentucky, Las Vegas and Colorado.

19 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

I really do not see the point in travelling anymore , many cities all over the World all have the same/similar shops , most food can be bought all over the World , you can see photos and videos of everywhere in the World and you can talk to anyone in the world on line face to face .

Why go anywhere ?

Because it's better than here.

I wouldn't travel except to get back to LOS where I know the room on the beach where I'd live the rest of my life.

Having said that I'd travel locally but be living in LOS. I'd like to see the tunnels in Vietnam before I die.

I have about 40 odd countries on my seen list and there are only a few left that I'm contemplating. With the value of the GBP you have to be a little bit rich to go anywhere outside Asia as the cost of flights are a big lump of the expenditure.

My plan would be and was taking Thai wife to the states this year and I don't know now whether that's ever going to happen.  Just to place some perspective on this I once rented a whole island in the Pacific for a week. Last year Thai wife and I stayed in a 1000 baht a night hotel up in Kanchanaburi. They were both equally enjoyable trips. 

19 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

I really do not see the point in travelling anymore , many cities all over the World all have the same/similar shops , most food can be bought all over the World , you can see photos and videos of everywhere in the World and you can talk to anyone in the world on line face to face .

Why go anywhere ?

Yep feeling the same myself these  days because when you arrive there are so many other people there it  makes it krap, theres  just  too  many tourists worldwide  now, I would  loved to have been a 1950's  tourist with  money. No charm to it anymore when rammed  full of people.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bodga said:

Yep feeling the same myself these  days because when you arrive there are so many other people there it  makes it krap, theres  just  too  many tourists worldwide  now, I would  loved to have been a 1950's  tourist with  money. No charm to it anymore when rammed  full of people.

I've never really noticed that.

Maybe you visit the wrong places, or maybe I don't spend my time looking at everyone else.

Most of the time when I'm out cycling or hiking in the mountains or jungle ..... it's just me alone.

Even in the most popular Vietnam tourist attractions there didn't seem to be all that many people.

IMG_20191006_104842.jpg

Edited by BritManToo

40 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I've never really noticed that.

Maybe you visit the wrong places, or maybe I don't spend my time looking at everyone else.

Most of the time when I'm out cycling or hiking in the mountains or jungle ..... it's just me alone.

Even in the most popular Vietnam tourist attractions there didn't seem to be all that many people.

IMG_20191006_104842.jpg

I agree. I spent loads of time touring around Thailand and never had crowds. However I wasn't visiting tourist hot spots.

I even managed to visit the Brighton Palace in the UK, and it wasn't overcrowded.

I also managed a relatively uncrowded visit to the UK couple of years ago, but I made sure to go in spring before the mob arrives. I think I'd hate it in summer.

50 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

i  wouldnt  call  that  a  tourist  attraction, its  a  bit  vague.

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I agree. I spent loads of time touring around Thailand and never had crowds. However I wasn't visiting tourist hot spots.

I even managed to visit the Brighton Palace in the UK, and it wasn't overcrowded.

I also managed a relatively uncrowded visit to the UK couple of years ago, but I made sure to go in spring before the mob arrives. I think I'd hate it in summer.

As a kid I went to Port Isaac  in the Uk, early 1970's every year for  summer  holidays, went back about 10  years  ago ,still ok then , went last year, could  hardly  move in September for Doc Martin fans, awful.

Could name a whole  host of  other  places worldwide Ive revisited, just dont see anything pleasurable at  all about it  now including  "getting there"  which used to be fun in itself....Im 97 yrs  old, nah not really.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I once saw a tv show about Japan. Apparently those sort of places cater to geeky Japanese guys that have loads of money from their IT jobs but can't get girlfriends.

That fits perfectly. Not sure if I would take my Thai girlfriend with me. ???? 

On 6/13/2020 at 9:45 AM, Logosone said:

I would do the same what that Japanese actor did, take a railroad trip all around China to see the whole country for a year.

Then I'd do the same in Japan.

After that I'd drive through Italy for a year. Then through France for a year.

Would also go see Burma. Tennessee, Kentucky, Las Vegas and Colorado.

France is the last place I would ever want to go to, in only one day in Paris with a girlfriend, I was taking a photo of he Eiffel tower from about a half mile away and was told "no no" by a policeman and told to move on, I gave him a real mouthful for that, Then in a shopping mall, I was waiting for my GF who was in the toilet, and was told to move on by a security guard, I refused and told him what I thought of him, just as the GF came out.

That was one day in France, nothing like that in 14 years living here in Thailand.

• Thanks 1

On 6/13/2020 at 5:12 PM, bodga said:

just dont see anything pleasurable at  all about it  now including  "getting there"  which used to be fun in itself.

I used to love flying back when it was 707s. Flying was special then, and I always got a window seat to look out. By my last flight I hated everything about it. Spent every pre flight stressing that I might get a land whale next to me that should have booked 2 seats. Back in the day of 707s land whales were rarely seen and never by me on a plane.

Travel in LOS was always an adventure, and more so because I never knew if the vehicle or boat was going to actually reach the destination. Once I learned not to ever use a tourist bus life became a lot less "interesting".

Back in 1970 4 of us went overland to India , then boat to Singapore , ending up 15 weeks after leaving England in Oz.

Some of the places on the way have changed so much I wouldn't want to return.  One place was The Gulf of Arta in Greece.  A little bar some lads went out fishing , ate the fish on the beach then to the bar for beer and Ouzo.

I googled the gulf last year , condos and hotels , how sad. But at a local coffee shop 2 weeks ago this pic was on the wall , I said to a mate " Don't know where that is but I want to go there when I have a big win on the rotterly ".

IMGP1890.JPG

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

Back in 1970 4 of us went overland to India , then boat to Singapore , ending up 15 weeks after leaving England in Oz.

Some of the places on the way have changed so much I wouldn't want to return.  One place was The Gulf of Arta in Greece.  A little bar some lads went out fishing , ate the fish on the beach then to the bar for beer and Ouzo.

I googled the gulf last year , condos and hotels , how sad. But at a local coffee shop 2 weeks ago this pic was on the wall , I said to a mate " Don't know where that is but I want to go there when I have a big win on the rotterly ".

IMGP1890.JPG

Looks just like the cafe/restaurant on the island of Gozo (near Malta). Thought is was so picturesque and tranquil, with the sea lapping the cobbles a few metres away.

Don't know if that is where I would go if I was rich, unless I bought the place!!

• Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 3:12 PM, worgeordie said:

Machu Picchu

Hi Geordie.. I don't tend to watch travel vids but just saw one on Machu... get up at 4 am for the bus to the gate... though busses don't leave until 5:30 there are long lines... the fellow arrived first so he could get a few shots w/o the place being mobbed... then the fog rolled in... 

anyway, it did not look like a lot of fun... the world is overcrowded.. 

27 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Like another poster has suggested, I would probably get an apartment in Portugal, a villa by the sea here in Phuket and a converted farmhouse/winery in the Languedoc, and would love to dine in some fabulous restaurants again.

French taxes are quite high (and based on worldwide assets), not many wealthy people would choose to have a house there.

On 6/12/2020 at 2:49 PM, twocatsmac said:

Is there a Dukes of Hazzard museum? 

If there is, the General Lee will probably be unrecognisable (& renamed) soon... Bubber Watson who owns the car that was used in the original TV series has already said that he plans to paint over the confederate flag on the roof with the Stars & Stripes... 

Back to the OP, I've been lucky to travel to a lot of places with my job but the one area I've never travelled to (except a couple of 1 day excursions from Cruises) is South America so would love to do a flashpacking trip around there taking in Brazil, Peru, Argentina, Venuzula, Columbia, Costa Rica & any others that I've missed out.

Fortunately this shouldn't be too expensive so wouldn't need too much of a lottery win to pull it off ???? 

• Like 2