Thailand eyes tourists from China, New Zealand to fill its ‘travel bubble’

snoop1130

12 hours ago, damascase said:

Yes, and in that kight I don’t understand why one would need a ‘fit to fly’ certificate and a medical certificate if everybody is tested upon arrival anyhow.....,.,

I guess to protect people who board the same plane?

but I agree, with a medical certificate prior to boarding and testing on arrival, might as well let any nationality in. They are obviously covid free. A travel bubble, it is not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I believe the only non stop flights from NZ are with Thai, a quick look for early August has Thai at 8,000 baht more than the cheapest flight and 5,000 more than Qantas via Sydney. Thai 32,000, Qantas 27,000.

• Like 1

It's funny this whole Travel Bubble Thing. Thailand is like the weak kid jumping up and down screaming pick me, pick me. 

The initial AU, NZ, Japan, S Korea and VN group left Thailand out (of course China as well). As with Cambodia and Laos, nobody believes the numbers from Thailand and these countries don't want to risk blowing all of their great efforts on the liars from Thailand.

Thailand has been included in a recent Bubble with Japan, but that is almost entirely business focused.

Although, I would love for this to happen so I could get the F out of the country for a change - and yes probably on the way to not coming back. Thanks in advance to those wishing good riddance, appreciate your concern.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I would be amazed if NZ did that deal.

Also think NZ population is ~5mil.

Bit bigger than say city of Melbourne. Au.

In my travels throughout Thai, I very rarely run into NZ tourists. This is just a smoke screen to cover the zillion Chinese about to be allowed back. Make it look like Thai gov are not just allowing only Chinese.

New Zealand and Australia are planning to establish a covid free bubble with various Pacific Island states. 

For a variety of reasons, I doubt whether the New Zealand & Australian Governments would recommend Thailand as a safe tourist destination for their citizens. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, jackinthebox said:

Some of the Thais tell me that Germany will probably also be "in". Lowest infection rate in western Europe- and after all, we already had some kind of "bubble" the last couple of months here near Zugspitze.

Maybe not all Germans, just Bavarians ????

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, NoComment said:

China/Thailand.

Unfortunately the new normal.

Thailand has lots of brown envelopes from China.

Thailand thinks it needs Chinese money.

The great Kingdom of Thailand can survive quite happily without China. The tech is here, the workers are here, the factories, shipping is here and the money is here.

Forget China please.

"Chinese direct investment in Thailand jumped nearly five times to 262 billion baht ($8.6 billion) in 2019 from the previous year, according to the Board of Investment, making China the kingdom's biggest foreign investor for the first time."

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Business-trends/Spurred-by-trade-war-Chinese-investment-in-Thailand-skyrockets

• Sad 2

15 hours ago, JCP108 said:

There will have to be one other country at least when China is allowed back in. If it's only China and there's a spike of Covid 19, that would look bad and where to put the blame?

easy: Blame the farang! because they did not come to TH, the Chinese had to help out with the virus

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I don’t think NZ will be a big contributor to the recovery, but if the Chinese are allowed in it will help the hotels,F&B and transport companies. I think at some point Thailand needs to open up but gently.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I wasn't aware that enough NZ tourists went there before to make a difference anyway.

Just looked it up - in 2016 100,000 NZers visited Thailand. Australia is nearly Covid free and has announced currently planning usual international passenger flights to commence 17/09. In comparison there were 800,000 Oz tourists to Thailand in 2016.

• Like 1

I cant understand why this bloke and a few others continually speak about these things when they have no substantive plans to do anything. Why speak if you've got nothing to stay. At this point both Chinese and NZ citizens are not allowed to travel. The travel bubble that was talked about the other day by Singapore did not mention Thailand. No-one in Australia or NZ has mentioned Thailand. They all know that the testing regime is not transparent nor are the numbers of tests sufficient to compare. At best Thailand will get in on the tail of those other countries activities once they have set it up. A testing regime at the airport may get a few in, but not if you have to quarantine at the other end. Its still very much a matter of wait and see for everybody including Thailand. But I'm gonna leave as soon as I can and trust to providence to get back in January

• Like 2

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thailand eyes tourists from China, New Zealand to fill its ‘travel bubble’

No disrespect to all you Kiwis, but this is about CHINA and its people - tourists, business men and investors. The Eastern Economic Corridor, major infrastructure projects (roads and high speed railways) and so on - when the Covid-19 pandemic is over!

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Sad 1