Thailand eyes tourists from China, New Zealand to fill its ‘travel bubble’

snoop1130

3 hours ago, kamma said:

"The aim will be to provide people a Bt3,000 subsidy encouraging them to travel to other provinces..."

What about the Bt3,000-5,000 promised to the people so they could get something to eat?!

Members of my Thai extended family have been receiving the 5k baht p.m., They've informed no more after the three month period, unless Thai government changes policy.

Since we are being told that asymptomatic people who test positive are risks, does that mean that Thailand will start counting the people in China who are positive but asymptomatic when it considers whether that country has the virus sufficiently under control? I read that today there were six cases there with symptoms but a total of forty-five if you count those positive but asymptomatic. What was that threshold discussed earlier? Was it countries with twenty or less per day?

21 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Welcome to the New China. Thailand!

Thailand should be very careful. All over the news today is an new outbreak of coronavirus in the main Beijing market which supplies meat and vegetables, there are 4000 tenants. The police have closed down the market and all surrounding areas are in lockdown.

6 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

"Chinese direct investment in Thailand jumped nearly five times to 262 billion baht ($8.6 billion) in 2019 from the previous year, according to the Board of Investment, making China the kingdom's biggest foreign investor for the first time."

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Business-trends/Spurred-by-trade-war-Chinese-investment-in-Thailand-skyrockets

Ofcourse while US is blacklisting Chinese companies from entering to Nasdaq, Thai accepts... I really believe not only investments will skyrocket but also level of corruption there is no way the Chinese play by the book anything. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

A couple of issues:

1. The current outbreak in China https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/21/world/asia/coronavirus-china-lockdown.html

2. If a message certificate is good for 73 hours, someone gets cleared, goes to the bar and picks up the virus. They enter Thailand with the virus and walk right past the temperature check because they haven’t started showing symptoms yet.

They then go all over Thailand or at least to popular hotspots where they spread it to others. Then they start to feel sick so they take it easy around the hotel and infect others at the hotel, etc. Or they are an asymptomatic carrier and just infect a bunch of people before going home.

Boom, they have just invited a local outbreak and they turn Thailand into the new US or Brazil or wherever. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lingba said:

yup bring in the Chinese...and infect the entire country

That's highly possible.  

1 hour ago, NB1986 said:

Ofcourse while US is blacklisting Chinese companies from entering to Nasdaq, Thai accepts... I really believe not only investments will skyrocket but also level of corruption there is no way the Chinese play by the book anything. 

The Chinese are infiltrating US universities and stealing technology and medical research (probably not a concern here) and flooding the markets with fraudulent companies, but it seems Thailand is either oblivious to what the CCP is doing or the money is just too much to resists.  

As much as I try to be optimistic or even apathetic, this infestation is turning me off and I'm avoiding them as much as possible.  Next step is living in a place they simply aren't interested in or at least less concentrated.  

The other question is IF (or hopefully not when) there is this highly talked about second wave, will Thailand publicize it or are they under strict orders from the CCP to keep it quiet?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Patts said:

Say what?

People from Taiwan aren't Chinese and in the current climate I don't think those from HK would want to be referred as `Chinese either

5m out of 6.4m would, in Honkers anyway.

Edited by Traubert

2 hours ago, JCP108 said:

Since we are being told that asymptomatic people who test positive are risks, does that mean that Thailand will start counting the people in China who are positive but asymptomatic when it considers whether that country has the virus sufficiently under control? I read that today there were six cases there with symptoms but a total of forty-five if you count those positive but asymptomatic. What was that threshold discussed earlier? Was it countries with twenty or less per day?

Keep looking for the bodies, Scout. ????????

1 hour ago, ExpatOne said:

A couple of issues:

1. The current outbreak in China https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/21/world/asia/coronavirus-china-lockdown.html

2. If a message certificate is good for 73 hours, someone gets cleared, goes to the bar and picks up the virus. They enter Thailand with the virus and walk right past the temperature check because they haven’t started showing symptoms yet.

They then go all over Thailand or at least to popular hotspots where they spread it to others. Then they start to feel sick so they take it easy around the hotel and infect others at the hotel, etc. Or they are an asymptomatic carrier and just infect a bunch of people before going home.

Boom, they have just invited a local outbreak and they turn Thailand into the new US or Brazil or wherever. 

Your link is three and a half weeks old.

Edited by Traubert

Some naive comments from some posters regarding the Chinese. The puppeteers in Thailand pulling all the strings all hail from Sino-Thai families so the Chines are most welcome, joop, joop, Ai Farang persona non grata..

Edited by Forza2002
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

Expatone  may have meant this link:  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/13/world/asia/beijing-market-coronavirus.html

A lot of media outlets are reporting it, oddly globaltimes.cn which was is now showing as server down heh

China isn't letting anyone into Thailand.  Until there is a vaccine, all this talk, whining, crying, sobbing about how these tourists are coming back are irrational.

Oil refiners are not anticipating any uptick in jet fuel until there is a vaccine.  This is peak air travel for now.  Invest in oil?  You know this already.  The projections for the rest of the year are very poor.  Most investors have liquidated their airline stock because they know what's happening.  Buffet bought and promptly sold all his Delta at a huge loss.  

No country on earth is going to risk their people going out and coming back infecting their economies.  There isn't one molecule of reality to all this fuss that the Thai government is feeding people, and note it's directed primarily at Thai citizens.  They're kicking around a ball, and it's funny to see some people who think they know more than the government gobble this nonsense up like guppies.  

Thailand can say the borders are open, but China, Japan (especially Japan), South Korea, New Zealand (especially them!) won't allow their citizens to leave or if they leave, come back in.  

13 minutes ago, fresher said:

Todays (13 June) news:-

"A virus outbreak in a wholesale market in Beijing leads to fears of a second wave in the Chinese capital"

So that leaves just New Zealand and the Isle of Man.

Two infections wont cause much fuss.

Not many real tourists is going to come to Thailand if you need medical certificate that have to cover Covid-19.

If it is just general medical certificate that certify that you are not sick of bacterial infection or sore throat etc, they are pointless and defeats the purpose.

Why New Zealand and not Australia or Vietnam?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Graemej100 said:

It is complicated but it is based on 28 days of NO cases after the normal 14 days of there being no one with the virus. Very confusing) 

I don't no what is WHO's guidelines for Covid-19 but for Ebola, the guideline is zero cases for days twice the maximum incubation period, after that the country can declare virus free.

Edited by Mulambana

On 6/12/2020 at 5:45 AM, Traubert said:

America.

Stands to reason.

Hell no.  Maybe you aren't aware but America is pandemic central right now.  Thanks in no small part to incompetent leadership.  I think America is the last country on most peoples lists of places to allow back in.

• Like 1

I see so many people keen to allow New Zealanders entry. But they only had some 60,000 tourist out of the Australisia continent. It's entire population is half that of London. 

You can get that many chinese in a few days to put things to into perspective ! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

Nobody outside of China (except China’s outside cheerleaders), should believe CCP propaganda.

Greece is allowing tourists from 29 countries, including China but not from USA or UK though UK is their largest tourists number of arrivals/day before Covid-19. Even the UK PM has his private villa in Greece. Here are the 29 countries Albania, Australia, Austria, North Macedonia, Bulgaria, Germany, Denmark, Switzerland, Estonia, Japan, Israel, China, Croatia, Cyprus, Latvia, Lebanon, New Zealand, Lithuania, Malta, Montenegro, Norway, South Korea, Hungary, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia,

Edited by Mulambana
  • Thanks 1

I can assure everyone that Thailand is not on the list with a Travel Bubble between South Korea, Singapore, Australia and New Zealand but possible Vietnam will be added and so could be Taiwan and Hong Kong.

China and Thailand is a possibility but with the latest outbreak in Beijing at another wet market I doubt that any country would want to jump on a travel bubble deal with the communists in China. Their is a green lane between Singapore and China, however only for business travel.

I guess Thailand will have a travel bubble with India, Russia and China by the end of the year. ????

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mulambana said:

Greece is allowing tourists from 29 countries, including China but not from USA or UK though UK is their largest tourists number of arrivals/day before Covid-19. Even the UK PM has his private villa in Greece. Here are the 29 countries Albania, Australia, Austria, North Macedonia, Bulgaria, Germany, Denmark, Switzerland, Estonia, Japan, Israel, China, Croatia, Cyprus, Latvia, Lebanon, New Zealand, Lithuania, Malta, Montenegro, Norway, South Korea, Hungary, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia,

China is for business travelers only.