Thai media 'exaggerating' Covid-19 situation in Beijing

webfact

2 hours ago, rvaviator said:

Well .. I live in Beijing and based on my experience what Bo Siwattra is saying reflect what I see and experience. 

Apparently a chopping board used for cutting up salmon was found to have the virus on it in that market.

Not just a chopping board, 40 other positive environmental samples https://www.who.int/news-room/detail/13-06-2020-a-cluster-of-covid-19-in-beijing-people-s-republic-of-china

• Like 1

have to say that as this has been reported globally not just here,  relying on one person isnt the best of reporting.   perhaps its because they were on the list of countries planned for a fast return here.  maybe not ????

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ukrules said:

1 - Where is it going to come from in September if it's gone? They have quarantines on all international flights, nobody gets in without passing through the quarantine. This is admitting failure before even attempting to win.

2 - Just because they didn't detect any cases for 55 days it does not mean that it's gone. Perhaps there's an as yet unknown reservoir.

Blaming it on salmon, lol ????

Salmon contains plenty of Vit D that is thought may help against infections, now we're supposed to believe salmon (specifically salmon from Norway) itself is a problem, if I was a 'conspiracy nut' I would think they're attempting to get people to stop eating salmon to increase spread of the disease.

I wonder what they did in Norway to annoy the Chinese (Nobel prizes?). Norways infections are way down the list of infected countries. They did a much better job than China.

The Japanese eat a lot of salmon......look at the figures for Japan.

The salmon would have been frozen for shipping, does extreme cold kill covid.

13 minutes ago, moe666 said:

The salmon would have been frozen for shipping, does extreme cold kill covid.

Freezing doesn't seem to be able to kill coronavirus from the sources I've seen. It can survive on different surfaces. This article (below) talks about different surfaces and lists "food" but not "fish" as a separate category...says transfer via food/produce: no. 

https://www.webmd.com/lung/how-long-covid-19-lives-on-surfaces

There's also this article which discusses transfer via meat...

https://wtop.com/coronavirus/2020/05/you-asked-we-answered-can-i-get-sick-from-meat-packaged-at-factories-where-covid-19-spread/

Edited by JCP108

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

That's what happens when the person doing the cutting is infected with COVID.

It's not a reason to stop selling salmon in retailers.

There's a lot more to this than we currently know. I look forward to more information on the issue, especially input from the Norwegians.

Export the fish and not the cutting boards; danger solved.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

This is credible news?? From Siwattra Phatbo in Beijing, a Thai freelance scriptwriter making a post on facebook!

Maybe sent the report via homing pigeon to somewhere that FB is not barred.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ukrules said:

1 - Where is it going to come from in September if it's gone? They have quarantines on all international flights, nobody gets in without passing through the quarantine. This is admitting failure before even attempting to win.

China has resumed operation of forein airlines (except Americans).

2 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Of course all those dreams of restarting the economy with Chinese tourists could be headed out the window

I can say with a high degree of confidence the Chinese will be rolling into Thailand within 4 weeks and more likely 2 weeks - July 1st

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, smedly said:

there is massive anti Chinese sentiment across the world and well justified

they need to tread very carefully over the coming months or they will find themselves very isolated

I try and avoid them not just because of C19 but due to disgusting habits and arrogant attitude

• Like 1

1 hour ago, anfh said:

What? Salmon coming in without masks and not being 14 day quarantined ???

I first read this story early this AM shortly after posted and my only surprise is it took 32 posts before someone asked: Were the salmon wearing masks?