Protesters burn down Wendy's in Atlanta after police shooting

webfact

17 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

i would suggest it was based on fear that the city would be burned down.

better to throw an officer or two under the bus to appease the mob, knowing they would later be reinstated with full pay and damages.

that's right.  the burning and looting would have set a new record.  an officer involved shooting usually takes days (or more) to investigate.  this was done in hours (or less).

40 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

you are welcome to watch the entire 45-minute bodycam video, but you'll notice the cursory search given to a DUI suspect was not at all thorough.  they did not know for a fact he was not armed.

A thorough search would only have been conducted after the suspect in this case had been handcuffed and prior to being placed in the patrol vehicle or transport.  A cursory search misses many items, If he ran he had a reason to run, and it was not fear.  Lets see how this plays out.  Without all of the facts a judgment made prior to that is a bad call on anybody's part.  From my viewpoint as a retired Law Enforcement Officer, what I see is justified.  I will standby for all of the flames from other folks who believe that he could have been stopped without any force used.

• Thanks 1

So much angst. So much hatred. So much violence. Yet no real solutions offered for these poor people that are forced to live in America. Don't suppose it will please all but at least he is offering a solution. Burn down Atlanta? nah, just go home.

'You do not have to stay where you are not wanted forever. You have a choice and Africa is waiting for you,' the minister said

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/06/11/ghanaian-tourism-minister-calls-african-americans-leave-not/

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

A thorough search would only have been conducted after the suspect in this case had been handcuffed and prior to being placed in the patrol vehicle or transport.  A cursory search misses many items, If he ran he had a reason to run, and it was not fear.  Lets see how this plays out.  Without all of the facts a judgment made prior to that is a bad call on anybody's part.  From my viewpoint as a retired Law Enforcement Officer, what I see is justified.  I will standby for all of the flames from other folks who believe that he could have been stopped without any force used.

He didn't need to be stopped. They had his car. He could easily be arrested later. 

If he had a weapon and wanted to kill cops then why did he steal a taser and use that instead of this imaginary gun that he obviously did not have? 

Granted it's understandable that a crappy cop under pressure would have killed this man. But that doesn't change the fact that lethal force was not justified in this case. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

then why did he steal a taser

Why is the operative word.  If he wanted to get away then he could have just run and not fought back and the stole the weapon.  We may never know the reason.  How do we know it was his car by the way, and how did the police identify him and were they sure he was who he said he was....so many questions we have no information on.  

29 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Why is the operative word.  If he wanted to get away then he could have just run and not fought back and the stole the weapon.  We may never know the reason.  How do we know it was his car by the way, and how did the police identify him and were they sure he was who he said he was....so many questions we have no information on.  

They had IDd him. I think he claimed it was his sister's rental car. In any case they did know who he was and he could have been arrested later. There is no good excuse for shooting him dead in the back. BTW the shooter had a previous excessive force complaint. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

They had IDd him. I think he claimed it was his sister's rental car. In any case they did know who he was and he could have been arrested later. There is no good excuse for shooting him dead in the back. BTW the shooter had a previous excessive force complaint. 

they knew who he was?  really?

the suspect barely knew who he was!

he didn't even know what city he was in.

he's got a car, maybe a rental, maybe "borrowed." 

he has a license, maybe "borrowed" as well. 

none of his story checked out.

so who was he really?  the id is tentative, provisional, unproven.

could the real rayshard be lying in a ditch somewhere?

• Thanks 1

The Facts(of course to many the facts do not matter)

1.  A Wendys’ employee called the police to complain about a vehicle blocking the drive thru and the driver appeared to be sleeping.

2.  The first officer who arrived de-escalated to the best of his ability

3.  A DUI Unit arrived and submitted a PAS(Portable Alcohol Screening device) test to Brooks.  HIs initial BAC(Blood Alcohol Content) has not been revealed.  A noteworthy fact is that a BAC reading from a PAS device is not admissible in court.  A subsequent BAC test on an actual Breathalyzer has to be conducted.

4) The officer who administered the PAS advised Brooks he was under arrest and took hold of his left wrist and the other officer took hold of his right wrist in order to handcuff him. Then the fight was on. AT this time Brooks had not been searched yet because he was not under arrest.  So at that time the officerS did not know what Brooks had on his waistband or pockets.  

5) During the struggle one of the officers takes out his TASER in order to immobilize him but Brooks takes this TASER away.  Brooks then pulls away.

6) The other officer then attempts to TASER Brooks but he misses.

7) The Foot Pursuit then begins.  Brooks then turns around points the TASER at the pursing officer and discharges the darts(clearly visible from the wide angle surveillance tape)  Their is a flash coming from the TASER.  The TASER is fired at the head of the pursuing officer.  The officer then fires two rounds at Brooks from his service weapon. Brooks bleeds out and subsequently dies.

Was this a justified use of deadly force?  Garner Vs Tennessee, a Supreme Court case, says it might be. But it is now up to the Fulton County DA to decide.  I had a similar case many years ago and my service pistol was almost taken out of my holster.  The suspect was smaller than me but was under the influence of PCP. He felt no pain.  My outcome was better but I suffered servere injuries to my shoulder and pectoral area. I will not judge his Atlanta Officer. It is Always a “No Win situation.

Edited by sqwakvfr
Grammar
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

they knew who he was?  really?

the suspect barely knew who he was!

he didn't even know what city he was in.

he's got a car, maybe a rental, maybe "borrowed." 

he has a license, maybe "borrowed" as well. 

none of his story checked out.

so who was he really?  the id is tentative, provisional, unproven.

could the real rayshard be lying in a ditch somewhere?

Total bs dude. 

They saw his driver's license.

His family has come forward. 

You're making up mysteries that don't exist 

Why? 

Because you think it was OK to murder him? 

He may have been a bad guy but police aren't there to murder anyone. 

It's time they got seriously checked 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

The Facts(of course to many the facts do not matter)

1.  A Wendys’ employee called the police to complain about a vehicle blocking the drive thru and the driver appeared to be sleeping.

2.  The first officer who arrived de-escalated to the best of his ability

3.  A DUI Unit arrived and submitted a PAS(Portable Alcohol Screening device) test to Brooks.  HIs initial BAC(Blood Alcohol Content) has not been revealed.  A noteworthy fact is that a BAC reading from a PAS device is not admissible in court.  A subsequent BAC test on an actual Breathalyzer has to be conducted.

4) The officer who administered the PAS advised Brooks he was under arrest and took hold of his left wrist and the other officer took hold of his right wrist in order to handcuff him. Then the fight was on. AT this time Brooks had not been searched yet because he was not under arrest.  So at that time the officerS did not know what Brooks had on his waistband or pockets.  

5) During the struggle one of the officers takes out his TASER in order to immobilize him but Brooks takes this TASER away.  Brooks then pulls away.

6) The other officer then attempts to TASER Brooks but he misses.

7) The Foot Pursuit then begins.  Brooks then turns around points the TASER at the pursing officer and discharges the darts(clearly from the wide angle surveillance tape)  Their is a flash coming from the TASER.  The TASER is fired at the head of the pursuing officer.  The officer then fires two rounds at Brooks from his service weapons.  Brooks bleeds out and subsequently dies.

Was this a justified use of deadly force?  Garner Vs Tennessee, a Supreme Court case, says it might be. But it is now up to the Fulton County DA to decide.  I had a similar case many years ago and my service pistol was taken out of my holster.  The suspect was smaller than me but was under the influence of PCP. He felt no pain.  My outcome was better but I suffered servere injuries to my shoulder and pectoral area. I will not judge his Atlanta Officer. It is Always a “No Win situation.

He was actually patted down for weapons which you conveniently failed to mention. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Total bs dude. 

They saw his driver's license.

His family has come forward. 

You're making up mysteries that don't exist 

Why? 

Because you think it was OK to murder him? 

He may have been a bad guy but police aren't there to murder anyone. 

It's time they got seriously checked 

they saw "a" drivers license.

licenses can be forged, they can be lent, they can be stolen.

a license is not a guarantee of identity.

his family came forward....later.

they were not at the scene.

resisting arrest, fighting the cops, stealing the taser, shooting at a cop?

not things a normal person under normal circumstances, like a simple DUI stop, would do.  why react this way to DUI which is basically catch 'n release?

this shooting appears justified, unlike the knee on the neck we saw a few weeks ago.  that was murder, in my opinion.  not comparable.

• Thanks 1

I missed the pat down search when Brooks initially exited the vehicle. For this I apologize for my error on my initial post.   Appreciate Jin for pointing out my error.  I did not conveniently leave it out.

Edited by sqwakvfr
Content

3 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

I did not see a pat down but you are probably right.  But a pat down search of a person does not guarantee a weapon is not present.  I know of suspects who brought weapons into a jail after several pat downs searched were conducted.  

There's a video that gets shown in our small arms training, it's a suspect in custody in jail. When the cop leaves the room the suspect pulls out a gun and commits suicide. Not patted down good enough. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

I missed the pat down search when Brooks initially exited the vehicle. For this I apologize for my error on my initial post.   Appreciate Jin for pointing out my error.  I did not conveniently leave it out.

easy to miss.  the initial patdown lasts about 4 seconds.  you can view it here at timestamp 21:05 of the first officer's 45-minute bodycam recording.

from the second officer's bodycam, you can see a BAC of 108.

4 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

So much angst. So much hatred. So much violence. Yet no real solutions offered for these poor people that are forced to live in America. Don't suppose it will please all but at least he is offering a solution. Burn down Atlanta? nah, just go home.

'You do not have to stay where you are not wanted forever. You have a choice and Africa is waiting for you,' the minister said

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/06/11/ghanaian-tourism-minister-calls-african-americans-leave-not/

lol, a white girl burned down the restaurant..

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Running from the cops is not a capital offense. 

The cops are supposed to be professional. 

If they can't handle the job they should quit and get a new crop in that isn't trigger happy. 

https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/cop-who-shot-killed-rayshard-brooks-was-previously-reprimanded-for-use-force/dOTu99Lym4SjkmXmkt0P8M/

the police unions with their huge power have contributed to these issues by not taking out the trash..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

That guy would of come back for his car and possibly "get some wendy's" like he intended to do. 

He could of been let go to wander around, possibly causing a accident!

He could of tazed somebody else

He didn't even know where he was.

When people resist arrest ,beat on two cops,steal their tazer,run away and try to use a weapon , he deserved to be shot in the leg  not in the back!

From what I understand cops are trained to mame!

Edited by riclag
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, riclag said:

That guy would of come back for his car and possibly "get some wendy's" like he intended to do. 

He could of been let go to wander around, possibly causing a accident!

He could of tazed somebody else

He didn't even know where he was.

When people resist arrest ,beat on two cops,steal their tazer,run away and try to use a weapon , he deserved to be shot in the leg  not in the back!

From what I understand cops are trained to mame!

Cops are taught to use deadly force by aiming for center mass, which results in the best possible chance to stop someone. As you mentioned, we don't know what the thug's intentions were with the taser. For all we know, he would have taken a hostage from nearby cars. Thankfully, cops shot the thug before something worse happen- and it probably would have involved innocent bystanders.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

The facts I do know is that a person was willfully executed without trial by a cop who already had a reprimand for wrong use of force involving a firearm. Due to the protections afforded by police unions trigger happy morons are allowed to carry and use firearms even after displaying serious misjudgments. Well, now he's gone and I don't doubt he will face further charges of misusing a firearm AGAIN. The free wheeling days of the cops are over, police unions or not..

No, you're wrong. Execution is a legal action. Being shot by a cop can happen when one assaults police officers and steals weapons from them. But if you'd like to blame the local Democrat-led government for their lack of oversight, that is fine with me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Running from the cops is not a capital offence , but pointing a weapon at them could be.

They have to make a life and death decision in a split second. Do I see my children tonight? or do they grow up without a father?    Easy for us to sit here and arm chair quarterback a situations like this. We all seen the movies, someone points a gun at you and you stare them down, saying something like " You have to ask yourself  Punk , Do you feel lucky today? " 

Reality is a lot different.  I had a gun pointed at my head once, I was visibly shaken for minutes afterwards. . Adrenaline flows, your body is on high alert, your mind races. " what do i do now?" "my next move could be my last?

This situation is Insane!!, we put cops out there to do a dirty job, to confront illegal dangerous activity. It is inevitable that they will get dirty every once in a while , Of course there will be a "Macho" attitude. Who becomes a cop, Librarians? How do you intimidate a Criminal with kisses and hugs?  I agree that there needs to be a system of oversight to keep things from getting out of hand, but this is ridiculousness. Burning down your Neighborhood? Autonomous city sections? 

If the oversight system is not adequate. investigate it , and reform it. This Knee-jerk reaction every time things happen is counterproductive for both the Police community and the community they try to protect.

Who would want to be a cop after this? Certainly not good intelligent people. I would not want to be a cop ,I don't think you would want either. 

Anyway, I have a lot more to say about this but , this is getting way too long. I know I know your intentions are good. but you know what they say about the best Intentions. Something concerning  Hell and paving LOL 

SUPERB post. You covered it well. I would like to add that the cops had to wonder what the thug was going to do with the taser he had just stolen from them. There were innocent civilians nearby. A thug that's willing to assault cops and steal a weapon from them would have no problem using that weapon to take a hostage. From what I saw, what they did was reasonable and appropriate. Your mention of them having to make split-second decisions is critical to have in the forefront of any discussion regarding police using deadly force.

I'm sure there are other instances where I would gladly march arm-in-arm with you and any other person I occasionally consider political adversaries for REAL and OBVIOUS cases of police brutality such as the case with George Floyd.

Now, I also have to commend you for the personality angle with this. And no offense to Earl, but what would someone with his overall personality and demeanor make an effective police officer? Obviously not. Not to worry, I'm not a much better choice. But yeah, to some extent, a cop needs to be a kick some ass type of person to some degree.

I salute you, sir.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

unlike that moron cop..

You are entitled to your opinion. However, your opinion is based on bad assumptions. A violent thug trying to leave the area after assaulting cops and stealing a weapon from them must be stopped in order to prevent further violence- likely on innocent civilians. It's not the cop who's the moron in this situation. There's the violent thug and at least one other person. I'll leave it to you to figure the rest out. Good luck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

Running from the cops is not a capital offence , but pointing a weapon at them could be.

I have seen a few clips of black guys being shot in the back by police, while running away. They did not present a threat, even if this guy may have.

The problem is in the way policing is done in the USA. Black people can expect to be beaten, and possibly killed by police. Police routinely resort to violence for the most trivial situations. Of course things escalate, and cops will often shoot to kill on the slightest pretext.

US police killings are way off the charts - black and white victims.

Edited by teatime101
  • Haha 1