Visa agent experiences

4 minutes ago, AndyPa said:

I don't think its worth using a visa agent if you risk being arrested and deported.

If you can meet the requirements, you really don't need an agent.

It's 'simples' as the Meerkat would say.

9 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

It is legitimate  - fact. You can't have shades of legitimacy. 

An IO has the ultimate authority to decide whether to place his stamp in your passport. If he chooses to do so it is LEGAL........ irrespective of what happened to to get to that point.

Prior to myself shifting to Thailand ~ about 8 year back, I believe there was big "bust" of straight out FAKE stamps. Maybe some long term xpats can give more details. Think it was bkk, Sukhumvit?

Anyway that would and proved to be very dangerous. 

However in my 8 yr here and chatting in bars etc know many guys using agents.

In that time never heard of any issues. 

Half guys I know in Udon use agents.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

An IO has the ultimate authority to decide whether to place his stamp in your passport. If he chooses to do so it is LEGAL........ irrespective of what happened to to get to that point.

So according to you, corruption in Thailand is ackknowledged, accepted, and legal. Is this what you get out of all this????

I wonder?????

glegolo

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Head of the office does, and it'll be him signing off on the 'specials'.

No he doesn't and please read previous posts before jumping in.

Just for you!

Order 327/2557.

5. In the case where an alien applicant does not meet the full qualifications stipulated by the criteria herein or in other cases not specified in this Order but a competent officer equivalent to or higher than inspector is of the opinion that the alien has legitimate reason for staying in the Kingdom of Thailand, the application shall be forwarded to the Commander of the Royal Thai Police or an authorized competent officer for further consideration of the alien's application.

Why do you think they can't sign off on marriage extensions?

Edited by Tanoshi

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Head of the office does, and it'll be him signing off on the 'specials'.

I have never used agent. However reading tvf I get the impression that you give pp to agent and it takes week + to have it back.

Do agents do it in bundles to push up the line for sign off? I'm referring to retirement money in bank method.

Edited by DrJack54

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

I do not agree with you that a retirement extension stamp obtained via a fixer-agent (and complicit immigration officer) is as legitimate as one obtained by meeting the IO requirements.

The risk may be small (considering that it is done almost openly), but nevertheless there is a risk and some retirees have paid a heavy price (being deported) for choosing the illegit way.

which retiress have paid a price??
got anything to back up that statement?

As to corruption, its not, its really Bakshish and is as accepted in the thai culture as wai'ing a monk, regardless of his age

I know plenty of people that use agents,

Most just cant be hassled with dealing with immigration.

Are their extension not legal?

Edited by zzzzz

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I have never used agent. However reading tvf I get the impression that you give pp to agent and it takes week + to have it back.

Do agents do it in bundles to push up the line for sign off? I'm referring to retirement money in bank method.

Usually back in a day after the photo at IO

• Thanks 1

On 6/15/2020 at 6:06 PM, Peter Denis said:

Don't tell me that overlooking requirements by the immigration officer is legal and at their discretion.

From time to time Immigration has to 'set an example' resulting in immigration officers 'on the take' losing their job (no re-assignment elsewhere), as well as retirees having made use of those services being deported.

An agent can be useful for doing the legwork, but be aware that you are taking a risk when engaging them to fix some of the requirements that you are not able to meet.

It's not illegal

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

I do not agree with you that a retirement extension stamp obtained via a fixer-agent (and complicit immigration officer) is as legitimate as one obtained by meeting the IO requirements.

The risk may be small (considering that it is done almost openly), but nevertheless there is a risk and some retirees have paid a heavy price (being deported) for choosing the illegit way.

Never heard of a retiree being deported for using an agent...please advise of link/report as very interested to see

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

You have the extension stamp in your passport. On your next 90-day report, the IO wants to see your bank book. Or a statement from the bank that will immediately reveal when the stamp was put there, the required funds were nowhere to be seen. You really think the IO will give out a free pass?

I have no sympathy whatsoever for people who get caught and deported, because they are screwing things up for people who abide by the rules. Guilt by association.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

On your next 90-day report, the IO wants to see your bank book

There are VERY few imm office that require that. Jomtien being the main one. 

Perhaps anyone using and agent and deal with these rogue offices can give some info. Not sure but think Udon is another that does this report back with bankbook.

In which cities are these kind of visa agents available: I've read Pattaya, Bangkok and Udon but I don't think these visa agents are available in Chiang Mai or other parts of Thailand?

Edited by cada33

Just another data point, but I was quoted 18k to convert from a visa exemption to Non-O, then another 14k to do the 1-yr retirement extension, so a total of 32k per person.  We could also do only the non-O conversion (without extension) initially, which would give us an additional three months, possibly all we need before we relocate.

I was a bit taken aback at the big price for the conversion to non-O, but the 18k may have to do with "special processing" because the visa exemption is now technically expired (extended only by the amnesty) -- I believe I read on another thread that convestions to Non-O may now be an expensive proposition, agent or not.  I am qualified and could actually do the process for myself, but really don't want to deal with it (strong Chaengwattana aversion) if I can avoid it.

Current plan is to simply wait to see if the visa amnesty is extended, but it's best to be aware of available options.  I'd be curious to hear if anyone else has recently been quoted a price for conversion from exempt/tourist to Non-O (retirement), either from an agency or directly at Chaengwattana. If so, a PM would be appreciated.

Edited by eppic

3 hours ago, cada33 said:

In which cities are these kind of visa agents available: I've read Pattaya, Bangkok and Udon but I don't think these visa agents are available in Chiang Mai or other parts of Thailand?

They certainly existed in Chiang Mai in the past, but were a bit pricier than in some other areas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Freddie G said:

Wouldn't the online 90 day reporting solve the concern about bank books?

Not if you have been specifically informed that you must do the first 90-day report in person with the requisite financial proof. Luckily, this is not enforced at most immigration offices.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

There are VERY few imm office that require that. Jomtien being the main one. 

Perhaps anyone using and agent and deal with these rogue offices can give some info. Not sure but think Udon is another that does this report back with bankbook.

Have seen reports of the 800K bank-book balance check after 3 months at the Jomtien, SriRacha, UdonThani and PathumThani offices.

Just now, Peter Denis said:

Have seen reports of the 800K bank-book balance check after 3 months at the Jomtien, SriRacha, UdonThani and PathumThani offices.

Peter, what would be the point of using an agent because you may not have the 800k in the bank, if after 3 months you have to show 800k in the bank, it just doesn't make any sense.

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

Peter, what would be the point of using an agent because you may not have the 800k in the bank, if after 3 months you have to show 800k in the bank, it just doesn't make any sense.

The agent gets around all of the requirements, the money up front, the money after 90 days, the 400k for the rest of the year etc.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Olmate said:

No bank book checks or questions at 90 days for agent customers,all part of the package.

Yes I know, I as trying to quell any uncertainties from people that think otherwise.

13 hours ago, AndyPa said:

I don't think its worth using a visa agent if you risk being arrested and deported.

For sake of clarity: It is perfectly legal to use a Visa agent to do the legwork for you.

Many people use them as they do not like the often long waits at the Immigration office, the perceived stress and insecurity of your application being checked by a sometimes grumpy officer, and to avoid having to come back because of some missing or incomplete documents.

What is NOT legit is using an agent to 'fix' some requirements for you that you are not able to meet (the most common being no or insufficient proof of financials).

The risk is (very) small that you will suffer any consequences when doing so, but stating that it is legit because you did get the approval stamp in your passport is absolutely incorrect, and it is not 100% risk-free as retirees have been deported when an audit at their IO revealed that they got their Visa or extension without meeting the the requirements (and obviously that was also Game Over for the agent and complicit immigration officer).

I don't want to scare-monger, but those using or consider using a fixer-agent should be aware that it is not completely risk-free.

Note: And this is not a 'moral judgement' from my part, because I would not hesitate using a fixer-agent myself if I was unable to meet the requirements and I had no other options.

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Like 1

Has it crossed anyone's mind that their Clients shouldn't be here anyway. An Agent is extremely usefull to those with mobility problems and meet the Financial requirements for their type of Visa. The only good point of us having jump through the Visa Hoops is to keep the Bums OUT.