Taxes on bike parts ordered directly from Europe

Agusts

I was interested in some Malossi parts for my bike and found them to be sold here almost double the € price on there website...!

So I contact them and they said if I order €200 or more they ship to Thailand free of charge,  so that is good news but what would be the taxes on say €300 worth of parts, how would the customs collects it...!? They contact me and I have to pay into their account, or collected by delivery guys...?

I don't know, maybe it works out the same and also takes a long time,  but at least you know it's genuine.

I'm sure some guys here ordered stuff from Europe directly and know the procedure, cheers.

If you're unlucky enough that they will stop your parcel, be ready to fork out up to 30% in taxes, plus the fee for keeping the parcel in the warehouse, plus the tax on the taxes, plus the "Special Tax" for the customs officer and another "help" for the agent who "facilitates" the whole transaction.

If you're lucky they will deliver it to your house without charges.

Some say it helps to have a Thai name as addressee, and sometimes it helps to declare a lower value on the invoice. If the value is too low and raises suspicions, they will just make up their own value and slap you with some unreasonable tax. 

Spin of the wheel and good luck.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Agusts said:

I'm sure some guys here ordered stuff from Europe directly and know the procedure, cheers.

Well I've ordered many m/c parts from UK and Holland and other places and never paid anything to Thai customs.

• Like 1

Okay, so it's a bit of luck then, these will be a bit bulky and heavy, otherwise I would just bring it with me on my next return trip...( I guess even then it can be inspected in the airport on arrival,  it would show up on their Xray)

At least I know the ballpark tax cost. In some other countries the value on the invoice determines if it is stopped or not...

53 minutes ago, Agusts said:

Okay, so it's a bit of luck then, these will be a bit bulky and heavy, otherwise I would just bring it with me on my next return trip...( I guess even then it can be inspected in the airport on arrival,  it would show up on their Xray)

At least I know the ballpark tax cost. In some other countries the value on the invoice determines if it is stopped or not...

As with most things in Thailand customs too are a lucky dip, Ive only ever ordered bike parts from Japan and the USA and every damn time I got slugged with 30% import taxes and the 7% VAT.

Some car parts I ordered  out of Australia earlier this year also got slugged.

• Like 1

While I've never imported car/bike parts, experience with other imports has been:

(1)  Customs has collected on every shipment sent by Courier;

(2)  Goods sent via Post have been rarely assessed

For me, I now avoid Courier shipments to Thailand