The Most Comfortable Face Masks

LuckyLucas

I've found that they all start to itch after a while. The cotton ones less so than the medical versions, but they're hotter to wear. And as for the N95 masks - forget it! On top of which, after a few minutes I inevitably find myself breathing through my mouth rather than my nose, and end up with a dry, itchy throat which starts me coughing and then everyone glares at me because they're sure I've got C19. They're a necessary evil, but I sure do wish somebody would come up with a more comfortable model. I can manage for an hour or so, but for a 12-hour flight? It might be a long time before I set foot in Blighty again.

• Like 2

Most comfortable thing i have found is what you would call a "Snood" sits round your neck like the soccer players used to wear Carlos Tevez, Mario Balotelli etc etc  Get the right material ..cool lightweight...and it,s not uncomfortable at all and will not aggravate your ears like most other masks imho

• Like 1

On 6/18/2020 at 4:38 PM, keithsimmonds said:

Most comfortable thing i have found is what you would call a "Snood" sits round your neck like the soccer players used to wear Carlos Tevez, Mario Balotelli etc etc  Get the right material ..cool lightweight...and it,s not uncomfortable at all and will not aggravate your ears like most other masks imho

Photo, please!

On 6/18/2020 at 4:07 PM, Guderian said:

I've found that they all start to itch after a while. The cotton ones less so than the medical versions, but they're hotter to wear. And as for the N95 masks - forget it! On top of which, after a few minutes I inevitably find myself breathing through my mouth rather than my nose, and end up with a dry, itchy throat which starts me coughing and then everyone glares at me because they're sure I've got C19. They're a necessary evil, but I sure do wish somebody would come up with a more comfortable model. I can manage for an hour or so, but for a 12-hour flight? It might be a long time before I set foot in Blighty again.

I was just browsing the TV channels, and several game and music shows had everybody wearing transparent face shields. The purpose of the masks is to reduce the spread of droplets carrying the virus, so the face shields look like they would be even more effective. I don't know where you'd buy them, though. I suppose any drug store. I don't have any problem with the surgical masks, so I'll keep wearing those when I go out. 

ETA: The N95 (or KN95) masks are really only for medical professionals. They need to be fitted.

Edited by Acharn

build yourself a UV-C steriliser. I'm in London at the moment and there's no requirement to wear masks in the workplace, so we don't wear masks much. But if the rules were draconian as other places I'd build a uv-c steriliser so I could reuse the masks more often.

The studies show that risks to under 45s in negligable. Nobody is testing 100% of the people, I think it has spread a lot further than doctors think and that would make the death rate from covid really low. A lot of people catch covid and they don't even show any real symptoms, they have a sore throat for a day and it passes by them the following day - these people never suspected they had it, never got themselves tested.

Shops that deal with the public are better off with perspex barriers instead of wearing a mask for 10 hours of the day, here in the UK at least.

The theory was that we wont be as worse off as other countries where you have multi generations of families living in the same home. Here in the UK, old people live in care homes predominantly, it turns out that families shield their elder family members better than the care homes do, because covid entered and spread into the care homes and killed tens of thousands of people 75+ y/o

2 minutes ago, teatime101 said:

I keep using a soft black one piece mask that we picked up for free at Market Village. No mask I've used is as comfortable or breathable.

Yes because that's completely useless, and the best choice imho. The black ones do absolutely nothing against virus or pollution but you can breathe and everybody is happy that you comply with the rules. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Acharn said:

I was just browsing the TV channels, and several game and music shows had everybody wearing transparent face shields. The purpose of the masks is to reduce the spread of droplets carrying the virus, so the face shields look like they would be even more effective. I don't know where you'd buy them, though. I suppose any drug store. I don't have any problem with the surgical masks, so I'll keep wearing those when I go out. 

ETA: The N95 (or KN95) masks are really only for medical professionals. They need to be fitted.

Face shields don't really protect spreading/breathing in droplets . They should be worn with a mask. Just like medics do.

I have masks made from cleanroom material. They are comfortable, can go in 60 C wash. But you need to tie them. There is no mask you can wear all day. Once it gets wet, change. I found disposable ones are most uncomfortable if you nead to wear for longer.

I find something like this works well.  You can tighten or loosened around the back of the neck to make it more or less sealed.   And mine is washable with the inserts out.  That is the big advantage.   You can remove the n95 filter and just cover the face with something that breathes well.  Put the filters in when appropriate, like in a small room with others.  Then remove the filters when you need to breathe better, walking outdoors or not close to others people.

1079357459_images(22).jpeg.9abd6902d31573730fee619096e60806.jpeg

20 hours ago, Acharn said:

I was just browsing the TV channels, and several game and music shows had everybody wearing transparent face shields. The purpose of the masks is to reduce the spread of droplets carrying the virus, so the face shields look like they would be even more effective. I don't know where you'd buy them, though. I suppose any drug store.

I saw transparent face shields in Top Chaeron optician a couple of days back

15 hours ago, Sundown said:

because that's completely useless

Any mask is better than no mask. The thicker and heavier the mask, the more likely people will lower them for relief, which happens a lot.

Edited by teatime101