What languge will we be speaking in 1000 years.

nausea

17 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

In the western world,

Rome fell nearly 2,000 years ago

Yeah, but it continued to be the lingua franca for a lot longer than that. Oops, I've destroyed my own argument, so let's say 2000 years from now.

Edited by nausea
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, klauskunkel said:

some computer/internet based language: Googlish

Yeah, you're probably right there. I'm guessing it'll be a mix up of everything. So the argument changes, what alphabet?

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

In the western world,

Rome fell nearly 2,000 years ago, before then it was Greek.

The Chinese appear to have been happy in China, doesn't appear to be any impetus for that to change.

But if white folk continue to fail to reproduce,

Europe will probably be speaking Arabic or Urdu, and the Americas will be speaking Spanish.

Rome did not fall that long ago, not until the 5th c in the west and 15thc in the East. In 1000 years we will be speaking Thai of course, they number one

Read where they were making a point about evolution of language that if you could line up a 100 generations in a row, father, son, grandson and on and on, of course everyone could speak to the one next to them but the first and last in the row would not be able to have a conversation.

Edited by Why Me
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Rotweiler said:

Silly question.  We will not be speaking.  We will all be dead.

I won't. I've decided not to bother with dying, just too boring to think about.  I'm brushing up on my Mandarin. 

6 hours ago, Why Me said:

if you could line up a 100 generations in a row, father, son, grandson and on and on, of course everyone could speak to the one next to them but the first and last in the row would not be able to have a conversation.

100?? I think it would be already difficult with 10 generations only ! (~250 years)

8 hours ago, nausea said:

So 1000 years ago it was Latin, now it's English. Seems to be related to the rise and decline of empires. Given that the British empire is in decline (and I include the US in this definition, as an offshoot), and the rise of asian powers, what do you think. My best guess is Mandarin Chinese.

You're a bit of an optimist aren't you?:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, olfu said:

Humans  will disappear as they move to digital form.

Best answer so far.

I also see by then if we have survived, hardly anything human about us left, communicating in code speechlessly maybe ?. The world will be full of alien life also as we stretch out into the Galaxy which no doubt holds an abundance of intel gent life

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/06/200616100831.htm

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hayduke said:

Thai, of course. Uncle General has already predicted this...and he is never wrong.

From 2017...

After awarding trophies to youths at the Government House,  Prayuth gave an address encouraging children to embrace their language, which he assured could one day become the world’s common language.

“The most commonly used language today is of course English. If it was Thai, we’d be a great power already. Is there a chance? Yes. If you do what I say, one day Thai will be the world’s lingua franca,” Prayuth said.

Do you mean Thainese?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Lacessit said:

The laws of thermodynamics say we will have cooked ourselves in a thousand years.

According to climate change activists we'll be gone in twenty to thirty years but they keep moving the goal posts so hard to pin down between 2040 and 2050, hence the climate change emergency.  

C19 seems to have killed them all off, though, as haven't heard a word about it for months.  C19 does have its uses.  

• Like 1