Cost of drilling a well in Mae Rim

Jason Green

Howdy,

Tried doing a search for this but only found an older link in Sukhothai area…

I recently had a well drilled and I’m 99.99% positive that that I not only paid too much, but I also got completely fleeced. 

I’ve heard of prices anywhere from 7000 up to 120,000… Presumably variance is based on depth, bits, Equipment and level of jackery coming from who’s delivering the service.

Is there ever an instance, even if you had to drill 150 meters... that you would end up paying 250,000 baht? 

I do live on a hill… But I’m just pretty certain that I paid at least double what I should have for this. Please tell me that I’m mistaken!

2 hours ago, Jason Green said:

Is there ever an instance, even if you had to drill 150 meters... that you would end up paying 250,000 baht? 

Certainly there is.  Many variables you have not specified and each case is different.  

Since it is done and unlikely to be changed, why not accept it, remember to get several bids next time and now move on to live your life.  

If you are 99.99% sure you got fleeced, that should be sure enough. 

I believe the average price for a deep well is 20,000bht. 

Just for the hole with a max depth depending on the length of the extensions, but usually about 60m.   

As for being on a hill, there can still be water at the top of the hill. 

I'm speaking from experience, after finding water at 20m. On a mountain. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, guys! I definitely do have to just except what I paid, I have no problems with that… And yes, next time I will definitely get multiple bids.

The problem is essentially, I trusted my ex-girlfriend to “handle all of this” — some of which went down when I was not in the country… Now I’m learning that there’s this unspoken thing we’re thai people essentially get commissions for bringing foreigners to businesses & I’m Putting 2 and 2 together, realizing that I’ve likely overpaid for many many higher ticket expenses… Many of which seemed expensive at the time, but I was reassured that we were getting “the good one,” and “this man do very good.” ????

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jason Green said:

The problem is essentially, I trusted my ex-girlfriend to “handle all of this”

125k for her, 125k for the drilling.

I've known ladies do this on every purchase they make for a foreigner.

The shops/contractors will even give them receipts to show the inflated price.

They even do this deal with restaurants when you're buying them a meal.

My wife even tried adding 500k to the price of a house I was about to buy for her.

Amazing Thailand!

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Nobody can tell about the well price because OP does not know what he bought really.  How deep, bore diameter, pump specs, pipe specs.  He only knows a story told to him by an unreliable party, not facts.

150 meters deep, very unlikely. 

How long is a peice of string.

Mae Rim prices , vary from Tambon to Tambon,  village to village.

If located in a low water table location .you may find water,at such and such depth and perhaps at a later date,the bore may go dry.

Pavana Resort (formerly the Spa Chiangmai) has  experienced such bad luck.

Boring for water,is a roll of the dice,in prices and water table depth and supply.

6 hours ago, Jason Green said:

The problem is essentially, I trusted my ex-girlfriend to “handle all of this”

It does get old (and repetitive) to see these types of posts.   No matter how many times I or others repeat the necessity of learning the cost and ways of doing things here.......... the mistakes keep on

happenning to what i expect are grown and well educated western men.

The cost of pussy sure has an extremely wide range ,  depending on how naive or desperate guys are.

My advice is to start off making small mistakes.... then work your way up   lol

Note:  not really trying to rag on you Jason,  but just using your example to hopefully

get guys here to go slow,  and don't be so "trusting".    

Edited by rumak
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Jason Green said:

Thanks for the replies, guys! I definitely do have to just except what I paid, I have no problems with that… And yes, next time I will definitely get multiple bids.

Depending on the area where one lives there is an average depth where the deep water is .  I was living in an area ( toward jomtong, 80 km south of CM ) , and 5 years ago asked 3 drillers what depth they usually drilled and about how much the cost .   All said around 100 K baht to 150k  baht.  This was all inclusive, with a 2 HP pump inserted down into the 2" plastic pipe . The pump in thai is called a samert.

A 3hp motor would cost a bit more.   The depth in my area i was told was about 70 to 90 meters to get good flow.  If more than that depth the cost would go up a bit.  I chose the place where i knew the people,  and it turned out they were great.   Depth turned out to be 75 meters.

It took some time to ask around and try to find out who the drillers were.  Something as important and pricey as drilling a good well takes some time and effort to research.  It is not like buying a paint brush.

BTW:  a shallow well  (maybe 10 meters)  with a small pump above ground is NOT the same as a deep bore .   Anyone mentioning costs of 7000 baht is talking about that shallow drilling.  To get enough water to water an orchard one needs to drill deep.

Note:  if in a rocky area the cost can be much higher  ????

Edited by rumak
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

2” seems small ,  thought 4” was standard ??

you know,  i was having trouble remembering the size and called the drillers daughter at the shop.

she said they use 4" to drill ( metal shaft with bit)........... then 2" PVC is installed .  Seems what i remember, and the samert is cylindrical and fits into the pipe .  

Quite a good volume of water emerges,  but  for large acreage they probably do use larger pipe and bigger pumps 

I had 7 rai,  and probably system would be fine for maybe 20 rai , though a 3hp samert would do better

Edited by rumak
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rumak said:

Depending on the area where one lives there is an average depth where the deep water is .  I was living in an area ( toward jomtong, 80 km south of CM ) , and 5 years ago asked 3 drillers what depth they usually drilled and about how much the cost .   All said around 100 K baht to 150k  baht.  This was all inclusive, with a 2 HP pump inserted down into the 2" plastic pipe . The pump in thai is called a samert.

A 3hp motor would cost a bit more.   The depth in my area i was told was about 70 to 90 meters to get good flow.  If more than that depth the cost would go up a bit.  I chose the place where i knew the people,  and it turned out they were great.   Depth turned out to be 75 meters.

It took some time to ask around and try to find out who the drillers were.  Something as important and pricey as drilling a good well takes some time and effort to research.  It is not like buying a paint brush.

BTW:  a shallow well  (maybe 10 meters)  with a small pump above ground is NOT the same as a deep bore .   Anyone mentioning costs of 7000 baht is talking about that shallow drilling.  To get enough water to water an orchard one needs to drill deep.

Note:  if in a rocky area the cost can be much higher  ????

Good post. Everything is correct information.

we did one shallow 18 meter last week. 

Water start 14 meter but make it 4 meter more for be sure. 

4 inch pipe. Is 1,700 per meter with the pipe/worker. (Ranong)

Extra is two water truck to help it 600 baht x 2= 1200

And pump 3,800 baht. 

We have electric close already (not extra) 

Total for 18 meter= 30,600 + 1,200+ 3,800 = 35,600.

If deep well can be 150,000+ with good pump etc. connection electricity for pump etc

Every bornam is different cost. Up to the place. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rumak said:

you velly sa mart

Tang kew.  Hansom dooey. I know pum joom.  Also things like "geah", "clut", "walv" and other motor parts. 

My Thai bro-in-law in the US is a cook, but was a mechanic in Thailand.  He fixes cars for people on the side.  I get caught in the cross-fire trying to find parts like transmission solenoids, or procedures for retraining car computers for shift points or whatever.  Never a dull day.

Edit:  Oh, I did have another bro-in-law who worked for the Thai govt doing big wells. He'd occasionally ask me to find some obscure $*** 300 PSI pressure gauge or something.

Edited by Damrongsak

1 hour ago, Damrongsak said:

Tang kew.  Hansom dooey. I know pum joom.  Also things like "geah", "clut", "walv" and other motor parts. 

It does seem like you took it quite literally when someone told you to  "pai loei"  !

• Haha 1

The cost for drilling is 800-1200bt per metre, for using small rigs or hand drilling.

Cost per metre will go up beyond 30m when large drilling rigs and set uo is required.

I havnt heard of anyone around CM needing to go drop beyond 30m.

I dont think you were ripped off, maybe squeezed a little but you should have researched costs and the local office geology records before you started.

Would have been cheaper to collect rainfall from a mountain than drill the other way

• Like 2

16 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

The cost for drilling

Sorry to say, that you, have been listening in the wrong places.????

• Like 1

17 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

You can usually find water within 30 meters but very good quality water in enduring quantity is often 2X or 3X or 4X deeper.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dante99 said:

You can usually find water within 30 meters but very good quality water in enduring quantity is often 2X or 3X or 4X deeper.

My neighbour of 100m away interestingly had a well drilled last year and they hit gold at 17m ( we are only 3k from the ping.(it could be leaking!)

A friend of ours in san patong had a well drilled last month and 60m was their lucky number.

Both paid 800bt/m plus 2/3k for a pump. Both had to be approved by the local tessabaan engineers.

I averaged a 30m in the CM area as I havnt heard anyone with a shocking number to report. Elsewhere in Thailand yes there are reports of some real money being spent

10 hours ago, deej said:

Sorry to say, that you, have been listening in the wrong places.????

Can you drill down and enlighten me of your experience with drilling wells around chiang mai and I will add it to my drilling map for future reference.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

I averaged a 30m in the CM area as I havnt heard anyone with a shocking number to report.

So in effect your average  30m average in Cmai, is  a wild guess .

Your post above , says it all????

My better half,was with her Ex, in the Water Bore business.She assures me

To find quality water at 30 metres ,you have been a extremely lucky customer,let alone a  30 metre average figure in Cmai that has been posted on this thread.

On 6/20/2020 at 3:12 PM, eyecatcher said:

The cost for drilling is 800-1200bt per metre, for using small rigs or hand drilling.

Cost per metre will go up beyond 30m when large drilling rigs and set uo is required.

2 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

17m

60m

Both paid 800bt/m plus 2/3k for a pump.

First cost is higher deeper than 30m then cost is same for 17m and 60m? Help me out please.  What am I missing?