Social distancing on city transport to end on July 1

webfact

Social distancing on city transport to end on July 1

By THE NATION

800_c8836fcfc53b042.jpg?v=1592483543

Social distancing rules on public transport could be eased by early July, Transport Minister Saksayam Chidchob announced on Thursday (June 18).

However, the easing will be applied only on public transport modes involving less than 50 minutes of travel such as buses and city rail systems, while commuters will still have to wear face masks.

Saksayam cited medical findings that the chances of catching Covid-19 were zero for commuters who sat together, wore masks and did not take trips of more than 50 minutes.

The findings had prompted the government's Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration to consider easing the social distancing rules, he added.

Transport modes with travel times that exceed 50 minutes, such as trains and tour buses, will still have to adhere to social distancing rules.

Saksayam has instructed state transport agencies to complete new guidelines on social distancing by next week, covering measures such as signs explaining that friends and families can sit together.

He expects the relaxation of social distancing to begin on July 1.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30389869

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-06-19

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, smedly said:

every 50mins you need to move away from people you sat with in an enclosed space 

On the Trains...every other person just needs to switch seats with the person across from you.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Saksayam cited medical findings that the chances of catching Covid-19 were zero for commuters who sat together, wore masks and did not take trips of more than 50 minutes.

I’m happy too see that there are some Thai officials actually checking and applying science instead of scaremongering. Good news!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING SOCIAL DISTANCING !!!

103338565_10218237362191462_4640925857647866766_n.jpg

Maybe live in the same household?

Yet still wear a mask.

Any conclusion drawn from this picture 'stinks' without more information.

There's more potential danger if seats have not been disinfected after each time a person sits there as clothing and bare skin can carry the virus.

34 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Maybe live in the same household?

Yet still wear a mask.

Any conclusion drawn from this picture 'stinks' without more information.

There's more potential danger if seats have not been disinfected after each time a person sits there as clothing and bare skin can carry the virus.

Then again, maybe they were just weird girls.

"Maybe live in the same household?"

Judging by the matching sweaters and pants, that would be a good guess. 

As far as safety in sharing one seat, they wandered about during my time there. They sat, together, in a different seat, each time, returning to the waiting room. 

Edited by Curt1591

8 hours ago, webfact said:

So, how about citing medical finding that the chances of catching Covid-19 were greater than zero for commuters who sat together, wore masks and took trips of more than 50 minutes?  Is there any? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, connda said:

So, how about citing medical finding that the chances of catching Covid-19 were greater than zero for commuters who sat together, wore masks and took trips of more than 50 minutes?  Is there any? 

In the meantime there will be no social distancing requirements on domestic flights. So are we to assume that all domestic flights will last no longer than 50 minutes?

The social distancing tale is riddled with holes.  It's being dispensed with if hinders certain segments of the economy (airlines and some modes of public transport at the moment).  On one hand the "authorities" are telling you that you have to social distance because you will surely catch Covid and die, and then they make exceptions:
Domestic flights are Ok.  Then public transport is Ok.  But bars and pubs are not Ok.  Restaurants Ok. 

The fact that there is absolutely no consistency regarding social distancing policy, as well as no scientific proof that it accomplishes anything other than to increase public paranoia.
How can you believe this nonsense? 

• Like 1

I own a bar and rarely sit with the same customer for more than 20 minutes because I like to mingle so if all my customers did the same my bar should be safe therefore using the above logic I should be able to open TODAY!!!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, smiggley said:

I own a bar and rarely sit with the same customer for more than 20 minutes because I like to mingle so if all my customers did the same my bar should be safe therefore using the above logic I should be able to open TODAY!!!

Alternatively, you could be regarded as a potential 'super-spreader'.............................................. IF there was any Covid-19 in Thailand.

Wait... PHYSICS BREAK.

If the chance of catching a virus is zero after 50 minutes, then it is also mathematically provable to be zero for any length of time.

Any interval can be broken down into 50 minute or shorter intervals, each with a chance of zero. Therefore, there is no possible interval in the range [0,infinity> where the sum of those probabilities would be greater than zero.

So let's look at a more reasonable interpretation: that it is really some very, very small finite value but not exactly zero.  What is the answer then? As several posters said above, in theory, everyone simply needs to randomly swap seats every 50 minutes so you never sit next to anyone for any longer than 50 minutes. That would still imply long distance travel does not need to abide by these restrictions. Merely do a Chinese firedrill every 50 minutes of travel.

I wonder if anyone in government ever stops to think how ridiculous they sound and how much credibility they forfeit when they make these ridiculous statements?

And on other news, I went to Central Ladprao yesterday. Absolutely nobody manning the signin or QR code desks, and most people simply ignoring it and walking right past the whole checkin thing anyway. So no more social distancing and no more location tracking. Finally we're going to get back on track for herd immunity.  Let's get those borders open again.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2020 at 12:00 PM, connda said:

Not in the tea leaves, the Thai officials in charge, read...