small white bugs eating wood in bungalow

watgate

My wife has a wood bungalow built out of wood and  one of the beams under the bungalow has been basically eaten away from i guess termites. They have worked their way up to the wood floor and were just starting to go after the wood bed. She brought some stuff which is supposed to kill them and has sprayed it all over where their are signs of infestation. A builder is going to be coming to replace the wood beam and small section of flooring that has been eaten by these bugs, She is also in the process of buying something online which you are supposed to apply to the affected areas and if their are are any bugs there they eat or bring the spray residue back to the other bugs and it is supposed to kill them. I am wondering if there is anything you can apply to the wood to prevent these bugs from being able to penetrate the wood and start to eat it. My wiife said she is also buying something which you are supposed to spread around under the bungalows which repels these bugs from trying to eat the wood. If anyone has any info or experience dealing with this situation and any ideas to combat this problem I would be appreciative of any advice on how best to proceed.  Thank you

Pest Control. They pump around 40 gallons of insecticide into the ground beneath the building as the insects come from below. Then they spray all the floor wall junctions. You can also buy cans with metal spout from 7-Eleven but the underground treatment still need to be done.  

Moved to DIY forum

Buy some chaindrite from the hardware store and a hand spray dilute 14 to to one (from Memory)

There is also a chaindrite product you can paint on the wood.

• Like 1

"She is also in the process of buying something online which you are supposed to apply to the affected areas and if their are are any bugs there they eat or bring the spray residue back to the other bugs and it is supposed to kill them." 

This works with ants but sadly not with termites.

Edited by Oldie

There are special anti itermite paints every color shop has for sale. the wood should be painted before installation because the paint smell in the beginning.

termites eat all kind of wood except teak.

spray is only a temporary solution.

24 minutes ago, male expat said:

There are special anti itermite paints every color shop has for sale. the wood should be painted before installation because the paint smell in the beginning.

I live in a condo. I have been fighting against them for several years now. At the moment they eat my kitchen. If I had luck I could spray on the queen and then they were gone. They are hiding in the ceiling and under tiles and whatever. But after longer quiet periods they come again from outside. In the future I will avoid anything made of wood as far as possible. I think this is the best option. 

3 hours ago, male expat said:

Not correct check the pictures of my hardwood floor

I got a company who came and hopefully have fixed the issue, if you have areas with thin soft wood you can hear them munching the wood. If you pull of that piece there will loads of them in there.

P8010320.JPG

P8020331.JPG

• Sad 1

had to remove all the cupboards in the kitchen replace the whole 1st floor skirts & ceiling as well plus the bathroom & back door & frames, we also had them in the rendered walls. Unfortunately the treatment the thai "professionals" did was all watered down to make a bigger profit so it never stopped them, the treatment was the aussie one that is supposed to be the best around but the thais dont follow the requirements/guide lines so it doesnt work as its supposed to. The new wood was treated with chaindrite plus a powder was spread around under them as well to make sure.

Edited by seajae

9 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Pest Control. They pump around 40 gallons of insecticide into the ground beneath the building as the insects come from below. Then they spray all the floor wall junctions. You can also buy cans with metal spout from 7-Eleven but the underground treatment still need to be done.  

This, dont treat only  the bungalow, treat the ground its on.

11 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Even better, don’t use wood in the construction, only in furniture.

In my condo they eat the furniture too. This is the biggest damage.

A friend i knew  replaced some wood beams because the  Termites  had chewed their way through it, he replaced some of the damaged area with  breeze block (cinder blocks), after 12 months they had eaten their way through that too...