what percent of obesity cases are the result of lifestyle choices?

2 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

Like we all mentioned before. This isn't about "dieting" but changing a lifestyle. No diets are healthy if they don't contain all the necessary nutrients. Yous doesn't have any protein, unless it's unhealthy raw fish that's found in Isaan somtam. You need protein for muscle growth and repair, carbohydrates for energy and fats for essential fatty acids and to absorb Vitamins A, D and E. Unless you of course we joking.

I was kind of joking. But, for the poster on here how says he can't loose weight by conventional means...if he ate this and nothing else for a month he would loose weight.

Also, we should not forget that there is animal and plant protein.  Plenty of vitamin A in the carrots in som tam...and vit D is in abundance from the sunlight.....PLANTS are amongst the best sources of vit E.   

I am vegetarian and so get most of my protein from plants including tofo and there is high protein in the peanuts on top of som tam...and plenty of carbohydrates in the sweet potatos.........thinking about it .my 'made up in a few seconds' diet is quite balanced actually..????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StreetCowboy said:

If you were mentally strong, you wouldn’t need dietary advice to lose weight.  You might need dietary advice to lose weight while maintaining health, strength, endurance, social connections or sense of humour.

I’m scared to lose any more weight that would take me into a lower Strava category

I don't really need advice.. i know how to do it and its never a major problem anymore. Just takes a bit of time. Usually don't need to lose weight. Injury messed me a bit up (lost motivation diet wise).

• Like 1

Started on Keto
onto Carnivore
never looking back

38kg lost
no exercise needed (i done nothing strenuous) 
no eating schedule, eat when you want,
(obviously over eating any food in ratio to your daily activity, will result in stored energy as fat)
never really hungry, as blood sugar not spiking
can fast easily if choose to do so

i eat meat, fish, eggs, and treat myself with Dairy (increases water retention)
Salt, pepper, garlic, herbs and spices, that's it
on my cheat days, i will eat Keto, avocados, nuts, coconut milk, and berries if i am really treating myself

What country eats the most processed food?
#1 United States of America (126.4 grams per person) There's no surprises here - as the land of processed food, soda, and candy, America takes out the top spot for sugar consumed per person per day.

I have read articles showing that American brand franks and brockworst have much higher sugar content than German brands. That is one of the reasons so many Americans are overweight/obese as there is just too much added sugar in most  of our food products. Even the diet sugar alternatives cause you to  crave sugar even if they themselves don't have  sugar in them.

10 hours ago, robblok said:

I am not against a short term diet to get in better shape followed by a lifestyle change. Sometimes you want to speed things up. But I mean really short time like a few weeks. Still I would never neglect my proteins. 

When I was just starting out bodybuilding, I ate a lot of tuna (and other fish), rice cakes,  salads, chicken and less of the other healthy foods like starches and cereals, just to get lean fast.

16 hours ago, Tony125 said:

Thru bad choices or bad luck you found youself unable to stay in Thailand and ended up in a nursing home in NZ asking TV posters how to order euthanasia drugs online because you had given up hope on a pleasant life. When given advice on working out doing things to feel better you always have an excuse why you can't. Said you hurt rotator cuff can't exercise.

You are confusing me with someone else. I'm not in a nursing home or wanting to off myself.

Don't have rotator cuff injury.

My life isn't ideal but it's not that bad at present, though dreading ending up in a rest home. I know people that work in good ones, and even those are not great for the victims, as understaffed and overworked.

16 hours ago, simon43 said:

Forgive me for asking, but does your supermarket not stock fresh fruit and vegetables, nuts, fresh milk for making kefir milk, fresh fish, probiotic yogurt?

Of course, but it's too expensive. Poor people eat bad food because it's cheaper. I do eat veges but who knows what chemicals they have on them.

I get fruit when in season from a farmer friend. Eating loads of Kiwifruit at the moment.

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Of course, but it's too expensive. Poor people eat bad food because it's cheaper. I do eat veges but who knows what chemicals they have on them.

I get fruit when in season from a farmer friend. Eating loads of Kiwifruit at the moment.

Always a good idea to wash all vegetables as most farmers aren't organic. Production of vegetables is almost impossible on a grand level if pesticides aren't used. Thailand ranks fourth out of Asian countries in pesticide use, so if you want to eat vegetables and fruits, which are healthy choices, you must wash everything, to at least reduce the amount of residue. Poor people actually eat healthier food , especially here, because it's what they grow. Those that can afford more eat Americanized garbage and that's when you see Thai people getting fat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

When I was just starting out bodybuilding, I ate a lot of tuna (and other fish), rice cakes,  salads, chicken and less of the other healthy foods like starches and cereals, just to get lean fast.

Right now its not needed as I am getting lean quite fast and I am not fat by any means. But I can see how a short harsh diet can help people at times to kickstart things. However it must stay short. Else there will be other problems.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Always a good idea to wash all vegetables as most farmers aren't organic. Production of vegetables is almost impossible on a grand level if pesticides aren't used. Thailand ranks fourth out of Asian countries in pesticide use, so if you want to eat vegetables and fruits, which are healthy choices, you must wash everything, to at least reduce the amount of residue. Poor people actually eat healthier food , especially here, because it's what they grow. Those that can afford more eat Americanized garbage and that's when you see Thai people getting fat.

Yes people with money to burn on food often eat bad foods and get fat. Its ironic that healthy food costs more. 

Actually not so strange as they can mask taste and buy in in bulk to produce the cheap stuff and use a lot of fillers. 

Poor people actually eat healthier food , especially here, because it's what they grow.

That's why I enjoy living in north Laos.  The poor villagers come into town early every day to sell a few vegetables and fruit that they have grown.  I'm sure no pesticides or fertilisers are used.  I buy these fresh foods every day, typically 15-30 baht (equivalent) for a bunch of bananas, a Kg of apples about 45 baht.  The food tastes great and is more than healthy for you.

• Like 2

On 6/27/2020 at 10:24 AM, robblok said:

Yes its a lifestyle change and I understand that is hard its hard for most people. Just look at all the food that is available. The bad foods just taste good. However after changing to healthier food you will miss it a lot less. 

Now going to get 4 scrambled eggs with some onions and tomato. That is my breakfast for today. I am a bit late. 

When i was eating <deleted> food a couple of months ago I loved it. Nice to eat not 1 but 2 cheese cakes or order from taco bell a lot. Whatever i wanted i would take a lot. Because eating bad foods also increased my appetite. Its a fact that <deleted> food is more addictive. I was lucky that i did not gain too much fat and that much of it is gone already. Now just going back to clear the last bits till i got a 6 pack back. 

Bad food is addictive, sure you can eat a pizza or a cheesburger once in a while as long as you eat good foods the rest of the time. Especially during maintenance its not that bad.

I love eating ice cream more than anything, I kept avoiding it all the time to keep my weight at 75-76k, 6ft tall, then about three weeks ago, my wife brought me in some ice cream, and I loved it and started eating a lot of ice cream at week ends. My weight has not changed and I have kept up my usual exercise routine.

5 hours ago, balo said:

When I lived in Las Vegas for 2 months I rented an apartment with kitchen and we cooked all the food ourselves, I  went to the local supermarkets to do my shopping , as a European I was shocked how much processed food they had in the shelves.

Even normal bread was full of sugar, plenty of different brands but they all tasted the same . I could not find a local bakery or a local butcher, only processed food everywhere and all the junk food restaurants.  Terrible and sad really. No wonder Americans struggle with overweight and diseases.

Selective perception. It's about like going to Pattaya Beach but instead of seeing a wide, clean beach, seeing only a trash pile in Naklua.

In fact supermarkets in the USA have a large variety and always have had. They're bigger than European markets, confusing our poor European visitors, so it may take a few more minutes to find the healthy stuff. Organic food is in fact a big deal; all supermarkets have a lot of it, and all my friends over there are only eating organic most of the time. Plenty of farmers markets around:

https://www.vegas4locals.com/free-things-to-do-in-las-vegas/farmers-markets/

Similarly the variety of restaurants is astonishing and range from junk foods to huge salad bars. I might remind you that you can eat only a salad in McDonald's if you wish.

Nothing terrible or sad here except how many people choose the bad over the good, and, like yourself, think they have no choice for one reason or the other. They do the same in European countries, and it ain't American junk food making them fat. One reason, as thaibeachlovers said, is that good food tends to be more expensive.

Go read up on what's really going on; you seem out of touch.

Clare Moore began to eat too much when she was stressed at work. “Big tubs of granola with full-fat yogurt, chips, pizzas, takeaways,” the 32-year-old explained, at a Weight Watchers meeting one recent evening in a church hall in Egremont, about a ten-minute drive from Whitehaven.“I had takeaways twice a week: Indian, Chinese, kebabs. I was eating all the wrong things.”

At her biggest, she weighed 21 stone. “I am massive,” she thought. “What happened?”

How did Britain get so fat?

Edited by BigStar

21 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

I am not meaning bulging ripped muscles. 

Me neither.

If a person walks a lot, cycles and swims every day they will have toned up muscles where flab and fat used to be instead.  

Good in their way, better than nothing, but only the muscles used for those activities will be "toned up." You can walk all day but still hardly be able to climb a flight of stairs. Most people do so-called aerobics too slowly to be be very helpful and so get less bang for the wear and tear on the joints and tendons.

You can be pumped up with muscles like a bodybuilder but still be really unfit. And you can be lean and skinny and very healthy and able to run miles.

"Health" is rather a different issue than "fit" and the two are easily confused. In fact the challenge is to exercise in such a way as to help fitness without hurting health in the short or long term. Running miles doesn't automatically help your health, either. 

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BigStar said:

Nothing terrible or sad here except how many people choose the bad over the good, and, like yourself, think they have no choice for one reason or the other. They do the same in European countries, and it ain't American junk food making them fat. One reason, as thaibeachlovers said, is that good food tends to be more expensive.

That might be, but in 2012 I did not find a lot of healthy options , except for vegetables and yoghurt. Maybe things have changed since then,  people start eating healthier. But supermarkets still want to sell you the unhealthy food. as long as they make a profit.  

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BigStar said:

Me neither.

Good in their way, better than nothing, but only the muscles used for those activities will be "toned up." You can walk all day but still hardly be able to climb a flight of stairs. Most people do so-called aerobics too slowly to be be very helpful and so get less bang for the wear and tear on the joints and tendons.

"Health" is rather a different issue than "fit" and the two are easily confused. In fact the challenge is to exercise in such a way as to help fitness without hurting health in the short or long term. Running miles doesn't automatically help your health, either. 

Most aerobic exercises and other exercises don't transfer well. Like you said you can be walking all the time and still have problems with a flight of stairs. You can be a great runner but no stamina for biking and so on and so on. 

6 hours ago, simon43 said:

That's why I enjoy living in north Laos.  The poor villagers come into town early every day to sell a few vegetables and fruit that they have grown.  I'm sure no pesticides or fertilisers are used.  I buy these fresh foods every day, typically 15-30 baht (equivalent) for a bunch of bananas, a Kg of apples about 45 baht.  The food tastes great and is more than healthy for you.

All the farmers where I live use both

1 hour ago, balo said:

But supermarkets still want to sell you the unhealthy food. as long as they make a profit.  

And will continue making a profit as long as people want to eat the unhealthy food, which they learn from an early age. Lots of Thais are fat & unhealthy despite never buying food in supermarkets, BTW.

14 hours ago, BigStar said:

And will continue making a profit as long as people want to eat the unhealthy food, which they learn from an early age. Lots of Thais are fat & unhealthy despite never buying food in supermarkets, BTW.

They buy the junk food in the mom and pop stores in every village. Of the several near to my wife's village all sold sugar drinks, sugar snacks, salted snacks etc. Everything in them was unhealthy. The only source of healthy food was their own garden and the weekly markets.

4 hours ago, balo said:

And your point is?  

That supermarkets aren't even a necessary prerequisite for the obesity epidemic in the USA, your basic  point derived from a visit to Las Vegas 16 years ago, when you got lost the supermarkets, unable to find any healthy in food in them that did in fact exist--nor in any restos or farmers markets around--and the deduction that the situation you'd wrongly understood then is still the same now, not only there there but indeed throughout the entire USA.

Supermarkets are of course facilitators but the situation is far more complicated than you've implied from a wrong conclusion.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

They buy the junk food in the mom and pop stores in every village. Of the several near to my wife's village all sold sugar drinks, sugar snacks, salted snacks etc. Everything in them was unhealthy. The only source of healthy food was their own garden and the weekly markets.

That, but more than that. There's also the pigging out on too much rice & noodles and dumping sugar on everything that isn't already saturated with sugar. Dishes that might have been healthy, or at least innocuous, are made unhealthy. Not too surprising in view of the fact that Thailand has long been a big sugar producer and sugarcane farmers form a powerful political lobby.

But never mind. It's clearly stated in the Bible of TVF Nutrition, and has always been a cherished given, that obesity everywhere is due to American fast food, even in villages that have no fast food outlets. Oh--or in India, too. ???? Works in well with the general anti-Americanism.

7 hours ago, BigStar said:

That supermarkets aren't even a necessary prerequisite for the obesity epidemic in the USA, your basic  point derived from a visit to Las Vegas 16 years ago, when you got lost the supermarkets

It was in 2012, not 16 years ago.  Are you trying to tell me the obesity problem is the same in Thailand?
I would think more than 70% of the US population are overweight. 

I do not only blame the supermarkets, also the junk food chains and inactivity. 

1 minute ago, balo said:

It was in 2012, not 16 years ago.  Are you trying to tell me the obesity problem is the same in Thailand?
I would think more than 70% of the US population are overweight. 

I do not only blame the supermarkets, also the junk food chains and inactivity. 

The US has about a 65% obesity rate, (adults and children) with a lot more that are overweight. Thailand is around 24% obese and another 17% overweight overall, and it will increase as more are getting "Americanized".

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, BigStar said:

That, but more than that. There's also the pigging out on too much rice & noodles and dumping sugar on everything that isn't already saturated with sugar. Dishes that might have been healthy, or at least innocuous, are made unhealthy. Not too surprising in view of the fact that Thailand has long been a big sugar producer and sugarcane farmers form a powerful political lobby.

But never mind. It's clearly stated in the Bible of TVF Nutrition, and has always been a cherished given, that obesity everywhere is due to American fast food, even in villages that have no fast food outlets. Oh--or in India, too. ???? Works in well with the general anti-Americanism.

Different countries have their own junk food. Sure there are a lot of American fast food restaurants all over the world but we don't need those to get fat.

As people got more money to spend a larger portion goes to meat and junk food. 

I see plenty of deep fried Thai food available on markets (fried pork and sausages and all kind of <deleted>). All those ice teas or bubble teas (not american) are not that good either.

Its a fact that American fast food restaurants are partly responsible but a lot of it comes from Thai fast food too. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

Different countries have their own junk food. Sure there are a lot of American fast food restaurants all over the world but we don't need those to get fat.

As people got more money to spend a larger portion goes to meat and junk food. 

I see plenty of deep fried Thai food available on markets (fried pork and sausages and all kind of <deleted>). All those ice teas or bubble teas (not american) are not that good either.

Its a fact that American fast food restaurants are partly responsible but a lot of it comes from Thai fast food too. 

Just looked this up to respond to Bigstar's post............The Germans and Italians have had problems for a long time from their own diets, German being a lot of sausage and potato pancakes, along with other things, and the Italians, who generally eat healthy food, use a lot of cheese and meat in their cooking. Italian children are among the highest childhood obesity rates in the world. I do agree, being an American, about American fast food being a culprit everywhere now...................https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obesity_in_Germany

Edited by fredwiggy