what percent of obesity cases are the result of lifestyle choices?

On 6/21/2020 at 1:00 PM, rvaviator said:

555555  okok ... I pass on the crickets, had enough of frogs when living in France.

Food looks great ???? ..... I let you know if I ever make it out from 'behind the great wall'.

Frogs?? I see them hopping around every night, and even the dog or any of the three cats won't touch them, so how can humans?

On 6/23/2020 at 4:07 PM, Tony125 said:

He started with a 30 min a day every day walk then gradually increased speed and distance. Also cut down on junk food,  sugar , ate more ballanced diet, more fish and drink water .  I never  drink diet drinks as the artificial sweetners are bad for you. Still drink a Coke or soft drink ow and then but only sweetened with natural sugar not HFC. Good idea to try a 15 min walk after the last meal of the day.

Artificial sweetners are not bad for you in moderation, even Sheryl will tell you that.

On 6/25/2020 at 6:30 PM, fredwiggy said:

That's what I meant when I said women first look at a man's eyes. I, to me, am just average looking, although I've been told different by women, but have always had a good build, and thought that's why I was always approached by pretty women. They said I was ruggedly handsome. I thought they meant a Charles Bronson type. Who knows. And tom Cruise is aging, and the botox and makeup don't hide that. And a dwarf? He's 5;7:. I'm 5'8". Guess I'm a dwarf also lol

I read somewhere that Tom Cruise was actually 5ft 5ins, he probably had 2 ins heels in his shoes like Tom Jones. ????

On 6/25/2020 at 7:01 PM, NotYourBusiness said:

OK thanks for comments, but I never said they were newborns, I said they were too young to walk, which eliminates exercise as the cause. I also said they were born this way and didn't choose it.

From your link: "The main point is clear, though: A lot of babies in this country may be at risk — if their high weight is sustained — of obesity. So, what is going on? To what degree is the mother's weight a cause of the baby's weight?"

We are getting somewhere. There ARE other factors besides diet and exercise.

It's the parents overfeeding them.

Normal babies fed normally, don't look like those fatties.

The white baby bottom left looks normal to me.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2020 at 3:14 PM, BritManToo said:

It's the parents overfeeding them.

Normal babies fed normally, don't look like those fatties.

The white baby bottom left looks normal to me.

No such thing as a normal fat baby. It's the parents giving it too much food, and often bad food at that.

On 7/24/2020 at 3:08 AM, StreetCowboy said:

We can all invent our own definitions, and then rubbish them accordingly.

Nanny states ensure that the least capable amongst us are still productive and healthy.  What I like most about that is that they (the least productive) do not become a source of ill health for the rest of us, either medically or socially.

Nanny states allow the fit and healthy but lazy to do nothing off the hard working that pay taxes. Hardly fair, is it?

• Like 1

Just now, possum1931 said:

Never heard of that one before, I use Equal, you can buy from any of the big stores.

I use Equal everyday, and it's aspartame. Not proven to be harmful, although some say it can raise blood sugar levels. If you aren't eating a lot of other sugar, it shouldn't be a concern. I've tried most of all artificial sweeteners, and Equal seems to be the safest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Never heard of that one before, I use Equal, you can buy from any of the big stores.

I googled aspartame and this came up in the google info at the top of the page.

I choose to believe it, but everyone should do their own research.

What are the long term effects of aspartame?
Dozens of studies have linked aspartame — the world's most widely used artificial sweetener — to serious health problems, including cancer, cardiovascular disease, Alzheimer's disease, seizures, stroke and dementia, as well as negative effects such as intestinal dysbiosis, mood disorders, headaches and migraines.May 31, 2019

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/25/2020 at 11:30 PM, fredwiggy said:

That's what I meant when I said women first look at a man's eyes. I, to me, am just average looking, although I've been told different by women, but have always had a good build, and thought that's why I was always approached by pretty women. They said I was ruggedly handsome. I thought they meant a Charles Bronson type. Who knows. And tom Cruise is aging, and the botox and makeup don't hide that. And a dwarf? He's 5;7:. I'm 5'8". Guess I'm a dwarf also lol

Women always say they want a man with a sense of humour, but there are a few comedians around that would struggle to get laid.

Portraying a sense of danger, or being a rock star always works though.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Nanny states allow the fit and healthy but lazy to do nothing off the hard working that pay taxes. Hardly fair, is it?

If it means that the least fit amongst us can still be productive and they do not become a source of ill health for the rest of us, either medically or socially, then it seems a small price to pay.  The lazy are unlikely to contribute much in any case

On 7/22/2020 at 1:27 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Nanny states treats everyone like imbeciles and uses punishment, rather than reward to enforce their excessive regulations.

Far as I'm concerned, a police force, defence force, free health care, free education to secondary level and environmental/ food safety regulations are all that is needed. A safety net for those that really need it and temporary assistance if one loses one's job all the social welfare needed. Living on welfare without end is not healthy or recommended.

Very valid points .. and I think most people will agree with the idea / concept  ... The problem is implementation and interpretation of the various 'criteria' that has to be defined to implement ... 'a safety net' ...   etc .. etc ....

4 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

I use Equal everyday, and it's aspartame. Not proven to be harmful, although some say it can raise blood sugar levels. If you aren't eating a lot of other sugar, it shouldn't be a concern. I've tried most of all artificial sweeteners, and Equal seems to be the safest.

Sucralose and aspartame are artificial sweeteners. Fillers help mellow their intense sweetness and add a few calories. Splenda does not contain aspartame, though it has fillers that are also found in aspartame-based sweeteners

Splenda is actually made with real sugar with the calories removed, is a safer alternative to Aspartame.

1 hour ago, Tony125 said:

Sucralose and aspartame are artificial sweeteners. Fillers help mellow their intense sweetness and add a few calories. Splenda does not contain aspartame, though it has fillers that are also found in aspartame-based sweeteners

Splenda is actually made with real sugar with the calories removed, is a safer alternative to Aspartame.

I used Splenda and liked it back in Texas. Haven't seen it here yet.

Just now, BritManToo said:

Wouldn't it be simpler to just exercise a bit?

3 days a week before it was 4, still looking to join the local gym. Trained people for 16 years, been weight lifting 45 years. Weed and water the 1 rai yard daily, mow it 2x a week. Other days look for mushrooms and help at the family farms. I get too much exercise.

21 hours ago, rvaviator said:

Very valid points .. and I think most people will agree with the idea / concept  ... The problem is implementation and interpretation of the various 'criteria' that has to be defined to implement ... 'a safety net' ...   etc .. etc ....

Singapore in the 70s had an excellent safety net. If someone could not find a job the government paid them to cut grass. If they didn't like cutting grass they put the hard yards in to get educated and get a proper job.

Obviously if someone was disabled there were alternatives. No one was homeless, except the old Sikh guys that slept on a bed outside shops as security during closed times. For all I know they did have a home too.

Singapore in the 70s was a very law abiding place- no strikes either. Caning was a real deterrent to criminals and vandals.

19 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I hate exercise. I'd rather be fat than exercise. However, once summer comes back I have several tons of dirt to shovel, and that'll reduce the blubber.

It's winter when it's cold and wet outside and it's far nicer to sit and write on TVF that is the problem. When I worked as a nurse I walked miles and miles every day and did lots of physical activity, and on holiday in LOS I'd walk miles and miles and miles sightseeing.

On 7/31/2020 at 7:35 AM, fredwiggy said:

There's an Equal made w/ Stevia:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/equal-stevia-1-40-i1318114914-s3270368483.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.1.2e4194b8jm9N1u&search=1

I've used that and it's quite OK. There's at least one other Stevia-based artificial sweetener commonly found in Foodland at least.

The dangers of aspartame are greatly exaggerated and certainly less than those of just being obese. Typically the overweight will whinge that artificial sweeteners "don't taste good." This is their real issue with health eating. Reminds me of babies in high chairs refusing to eat veggies.

2 hours ago, Tony125 said:

Obesity not defined by weight, says new Canada guideline

That's daft. Of course obesity is not defined by weight. I have very heavy bones, so would have been overweight even when I was fit and slim.

Far as I know obesity is defined by fat thickness.

Anyway, we only have to look at someone to know if they are obese, or merely a bit chubby.

On 8/1/2020 at 2:59 PM, BigStar said:

There's an Equal made w/ Stevia:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/equal-stevia-1-40-i1318114914-s3270368483.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.1.2e4194b8jm9N1u&search=1

I've used that and it's quite OK. There's at least one other Stevia-based artificial sweetener commonly found in Foodland at least.

The dangers of aspartame are greatly exaggerated and certainly less than those of just being obese. Typically the overweight will whinge that artificial sweeteners "don't taste good." This is their real issue with health eating. Reminds me of babies in high chairs refusing to eat veggies.

No one is going to get slim just by using aspartame instead of sugar. That's a nonsense.

If one wants to get slim eat less and exercise more.

When I was in my 20s I was slim and fit despite consuming very large amounts of sugar because I did a physical job that burned calories. People just need to get off their butts and go do something physical for 8 hours a day.

On 7/31/2020 at 1:41 PM, BritManToo said:

Agree.  People don't realize that exercise is not just for losing weight.  It can help prevent all manner of ailments including heart disease, diabetes, Alzheimers, lung disease, etc.  And for expats in Thailand, it can also help with sexual endurance....if that's your thing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That's daft. Of course obesity is not defined by weight. I have very heavy bones, so would have been overweight even when I was fit and slim.

Far as I know obesity is defined by fat thickness.

Anyway, we only have to look at someone to know if they are obese, or merely a bit chubby.

Most everyone's bones weigh about the same. If you are very tall, your bones may weigh a tad more than someone shorter, but not by much. This post is something we knew 50 years ago. It's body fat percentage that determines obesity and being overweight.

18 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Agree.  People don't realize that exercise is not just for losing weight.  It can help prevent all manner of ailments including heart disease, diabetes, Alzheimers, lung disease, etc.  And for expats in Thailand, it can also help with sexual endurance....if that's your thing. 

In my past days fun was my exercise. I always left LOS lighter than when I arrived, and not just in my wallet.

16 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

Most everyone's bones weigh about the same. If you are very tall, your bones may weigh a tad more than someone shorter, but not by much. This post is something we knew 50 years ago. It's body fat percentage that determines obesity and being overweight.

Sorry but I disagree. I am negatively buoyant in water. When I went scuba diving i needed no weights and had to use my inflatable vest to stop sinking - no one else had to use an inflated vest ( no one else was obese or had excess body fat to float with ). I can also sit on the bottom of a swimming pool. I had a problem passing my scuba test because I don't float.

I was of average build- not skinny or large.

I also avoided a broken femur when a tree fell on me, so strong bones too.

Unless you have a different explanation I'm sticking with heavy bones.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

57 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sorry but I disagree. I am negatively buoyant in water. When I went scuba diving i needed no weights and had to use my inflatable vest to stop sinking - no one else had to use an inflated vest ( no one else was obese or had excess body fat to float with ). I can also sit on the bottom of a swimming pool. I had a problem passing my scuba test because I don't float.

I was of average build- not skinny or large.

I also avoided a broken femur when a tree fell on me, so strong bones too.

Unless you have a different explanation I'm sticking with heavy bones.

You might be surprised at how little bones actually do weigh; Boditrax composition scans show what a body is made up from, including bone.

For example, a 1.60m (5 ft 6”) woman who weighs 60kg (9st 4ib) scan shows that her skeleton weighs 2.4kg approximately 5ib which is just 4% of her total body weight

A 1.93m (6ft 4”) man who weighs 84.4kg (13 stone 2ib) scan shows that his skeleton weighs 3.9kg (8.5ilb) which is 4.6% of his total body weight.  From these scans you can see how tiny skeletons are!  From this..................https://www.sll.co.uk/blog/heavy-bones/

• Like 1

On 6/19/2020 at 7:55 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

...  And then there is of course the question of the motivation. Long time ago "back home" I was young and slim and most of the young and pretty girls were not interested in me. Now, in Thailand, older and fatter, I get all the attention I want. 

I have a feeling it's your wallet that's getting attention  ????

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1