what percent of obesity cases are the result of lifestyle choices?

8 minutes ago, NotYourBusiness said:

Here's another hint. You can feed this man six thousand calories a day, and he will stay skinny. His body is totally UNABLE to absorb any of it. See? I say again, it's not just about diet and exercise.

image.png.5e98be21d71bc944edae0994270550af.png

There are a few diseases that prevent weight gain or storing fat. Hyperthyroidism, diabetes, some gastrointestinal issues like crohns and celiac, and lipodystrophy, a very rare disease.  Otherwise it's still the same thing, eating too many processed foods or a sedentary lifestyle.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

There are a few diseases that prevent weight gain or storing fat. Hyperthyroidism, diabetes, some gastrointestinal issues like crohns and celiac, and lipodystrophy, a very rare disease.  Otherwise it's still the same thing, eating too many processed foods or a sedentary lifestyle.

You are getting warm. Two of the things you listed are hormone related. Anyone else? What is common between the fat babies picture and the skinny man picture? Neither of them has any real control of their weight. SOMETHING IS WRONG. What is it?

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, NotYourBusiness said:

Look again at the fat babies picture. Then look at the skinny man picture. Neither of them has any real control of their weight. What do they both have in common? There is your answer.

Congestive heart failure, renal anomalies, and/or endocrine disorders are rare but it happens in babies occasionally, and sometimes they gain more weight than normal.

100 %

Even those extremely rare medical conditions that make weight gain easy ..if those people cut down if their food they would still not get obese. It is impossible to gain weight when eating fewer calories that your body is using. 

6 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

100 %

Even those extremely rare medical conditions that make weight gain easy ..if those people cut down if their food they would still not get obese. It is impossible to gain weight when eating fewer calories that your body is using. 

OK thanks, but perhaps you missed the photo of the skinny man picture. He can continuously eat 10x the number of calories his body is using and NOT GET FAT. He is near death from starvation, all the while eating boatloads of calories.

Edited by NotYourBusiness
  • Confused 1

Just now, NotYourBusiness said:

OK thanks, but perhaps you missed the photo of the skinny man picture. He can continuously eat 10x the number of calories his body is using and NOT GET FAT. He is near death from starvation, all the while eating boatloads of calories.

I listed the diseases that prevent weight gain and that enhance weight gain. What do they have in common , seeing they are opposites as far as body types.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I listed the diseases that prevent weight gain and that enhance weight gain. What do they have in common , seeing they are opposites as far as body types.

Yes sir! This is the question of the century. Answer it, and you will understand the obesity epidemic and how to fix it. I say again, what is common between the fat babies and the skinny man? Neither of them has any real control of their weight. THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG with their bodies. What is it? It is definitely NOT concerning diet and exercise, and its NOT GENES! Please can everyone stop saying GENES thanks.

• Confused 1

People I have known who became obese, I believe one major reason is because they ate big meals late at night, after 8-9PM say, then went to sleep soon after.  There is also much research as others have noted on high fat foods, high sugar foods and drinks - even mastication (no not nasturbation) .  People who "gulf" down their food without chewing likely eat more possibly or screw up their digestion in other ways.  One person I knew here recently go addicted to "bubble tea"  gained a few kilos in a month. Metabolism must be understood by people, as not sure doctors can help. You need to know yourself and learn from your ancestors about how your metabolism works best for you according to your body type

One girl I came across on TF said her biggest love in life is food, "am pum pui and proud".  Everybody a little funny and crazy in their own way.  ????

Edited by Skallywag
  • Like 1

Yes sir! This is the question of the century. Answer it, and you will understand the obesity epidemic and how to fix it. I say again, what is common between the fat babies and the skinny man? Neither of them has any real control of their weight. THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG with their bodies. What is it? It is definitely NOT concerning diet and exercise, and its NOT GENES! Please can everyone stop saying GENES thanks.

Leptin resistance also exacerbates the disease, but it also can be controlled by diet.

12 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I fully understand the obesity epidemic. People eat too much processed and fatty foods and have sedentary lifestyles. Not rocket science. I'm talking about billions of people. Not a few babies that have a disease or a very thin man that also has a disease. The only way to "fix" obesity is changing the way you live This effects billions, not just a few, and the answer is the same.

Nope, fatty foods are definitely not the root problem. And yes there is fundamentally something wrong with the way we live, and the result is a lot of fat people. So YES, of course we will need to change something. But the difference is, I can tell you, if the change you are recommending is diet and exercise, it WON'T work for the vast majority of people. This has been proven time and time again.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/07/120725200304.htm

I made a change, it was NONE of the things you mentioned, and it is working fine, easily losing lot's of weight, same foods, no exercise, no drugs, no diseases or other medical problems. I already told you where to find the answer.

• Sad 1

The change I've recommended, along with Robblok here, is the same changes I've been recommending for 45 years, first as a bodybuilder that read everything I could get on nutrition while I was weight training, without drugs, and then as a certified trainer , working in 6 different clubs in two states. The people I recommended these changes to did "fix" their problem, which was a reliance of fatty, processed foods and little exercise. After getting them involved in weights, which is by far the best exercise you can do, as it involves all muscle groups, and if done correctly, leaves little chance for injury, and recommending a diet change to healthy, grown foods, and lean fish and meat, they all got leaner. I saw these people daily, and saw the progress that they made. Of course I don't see them anymore, as I live here, but if they stuck to what I recommended, they will still be lean and strong. Tell us what you did, as you haven't except for the hunter/ gatherer link. Yes, people in earlier days worked for their foods, and didn't have McDonalds. KFC and sugary drinks back then, so they stayed leaner. Life is getting easier by the day here, and obesity is the end result, to those that don't exercise, and just HAVE to have processed foods to live. I love fatty foods, as it's fat that gives them flavor, along with sugary foods, but I'd rather be healthier and lean, so I gave up those foods except for the occasional "cheat". This is from the link you gave us..........................

The team ran several analyses accounting for the effects of body weight, body fat percentage, age, and gender. In all analyses, daily energy expenditure among the Hadza hunter-gatherers was indistinguishable from that of Westerners. The study was the first to measure energy expenditure in hunter-gatherers directly; previous studies had relied entirely on estimates.

These findings upend the long-held assumption that our hunter-gatherer ancestors expended more energy than modern populations, and challenge the view that obesity in Western populations results from decreased energy expenditure. Instead, the similarity in daily energy expenditure across a broad range of lifestyles suggests that habitual metabolic rates are relatively constant among human populations. This in turn supports the view that the current rise in obesity is due to increased food consumption, not decreased energy expenditure.

Edited by fredwiggy

30 minutes ago, robblok said:

Your exactly one of those guys who always deny what works. It makes no sense to debate with you.

You find extreme examples to justify something while the MAJORITY of fat people dont have those problems.

Nope ????

To sum up what your link said, which we already know, some people do not exercise and still are lean. This is because they are either young with a faster metabolism, which is possible, or more likely, they are eating less than those that are getting fat. Especially processed foods, concentrated fat and sugar calories.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

To sum up what your link said, which we already know, some people do not exercise and still are lean. This is because they are either young with a faster metabolism, which is possible, or more likely, they are eating less than those that are getting fat. Especially processed foods, concentrated fat and sugar calories.

Life is not fair, some people have a faster metabolism. It can be as much as 20% between the slow people and the fast people of equal weight.  

Then you got people who don't have the same hunger response (had a gf who had no hunger response if the food was not to her liking was thin as a reed). 

But fact remains nobody was obese many years ago so its just the amount and kind of food. There will always be differences between individuals just live with it.

I now got a friend who is busy gaining muscle he is ecto and has a hard time. I on the other hand don't have that much problems but have a harder time to keep the fat off. Bodies are different solutions are different but it all boils down to eating unprocessed foods cutting out sugar and eating less then you burn. 

For some that is easy for others its harder but its not impossible only for a marginal percentage of the population. That percentage does not correlate with the obese people around. 

26 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

The change I've recommended, along with Robblok here, is the same changes I've been recommending for 45 years, first as a bodybuilder that read everything I could get on nutrition while I was weight training, without drugs, and then as a certified trainer , working in 6 different clubs in two states. The people I recommended these changes to did "fix" their problem, which was a reliance of fatty, processed foods and little exercise. After getting them involved in weights, which is by far the best exercise you can do, as it involves all muscle groups, and if done correctly, leaves little chance for injury, and recommending a diet change to healthy, grown foods, and lean fish and meat, they all got leaner. I saw these people daily, and saw the progress that they made. Of course I don't see them anymore, as I live here, but if they stuck to what I recommended, they will still be lean and strong. Tell us what you did, as you haven't except for the hunter/ gatherer link. Yes, people in earlier days worked for their foods, and didn't have McDonalds. KFC and sugary drinks back then, so they stayed leaner. Life is getting easier by the day here, and obesity is the end result, to those that don't exercise, and just HAVE to have processed foods to live. I love fatty foods, as it's fat that gives them flavor, along with sugary foods, but I'd rather be healthier and lean, so I gave up those foods except for the occasional "cheat". This is from the link you gave us..........................

The team ran several analyses accounting for the effects of body weight, body fat percentage, age, and gender. In all analyses, daily energy expenditure among the Hadza hunter-gatherers was indistinguishable from that of Westerners. The study was the first to measure energy expenditure in hunter-gatherers directly; previous studies had relied entirely on estimates.

These findings upend the long-held assumption that our hunter-gatherer ancestors expended more energy than modern populations, and challenge the view that obesity in Western populations results from decreased energy expenditure. Instead, the similarity in daily energy expenditure across a broad range of lifestyles suggests that habitual metabolic rates are relatively constant among human populations. This in turn supports the view that the current rise in obesity is due to increased food consumption, not decreased energy expenditure.

Hello Fred, thank you for your excellent post, which fills in some of your background. I find that most people who preach "diet and exercise" have been training for most or all of their lives. A good friend of mine was badgering me about diet and exercise, which we did together. He was previously a body builder also. He really worked hugely hard at it, he lost weight, but it was SLOW and DIFFICULT.  I didn't lose at all. I don't lose weight on low carb. Low carb allows me to stop gaining. In other words, I usually gain about 1kg per year. Yeah low carb, allowed me to stop gaining, but I was unable to lose.

Another friend told me to install a tracking ap and eat 2,000 calories per day. There is no WAY I eat 2,000 calories in a day, more like 1,000, but still getting fat.

But the badgering from my friend motivated me to dig deep and do my own research and find out what it was that was wrong with me (IT'S NOT GENES) making me fat. And it WASN'T diet or lack of exercise. Now that I have lost 15kg WITHOUT diet and exercise, and he saw it working WITHOUT diet or exercise, he actually apologized. He realized my problem was NOT diet and lack of exercise. All that nagging talk to me was NONSENSE. It was not the root problem.

I already told you where to find the answer. What is the common thing in these two pictures?

image.png.35a45096207f22717084dad6871e6cc8.png  image.png.57f7cd62cca1cc09aa4007d4bf6fe218.png

20 minutes ago, robblok said:

Life is not fair, some people have a faster metabolism. It can be as much as 20% between the slow people and the fast people of equal weight.  

Then you got people who don't have the same hunger response (had a gf who had no hunger response if the food was not to her liking was thin as a reed). 

But fact remains nobody was obese many years ago so its just the amount and kind of food. There will always be differences between individuals just live with it.

I now got a friend who is busy gaining muscle he is ecto and has a hard time. I on the other hand don't have that much problems but have a harder time to keep the fat off. Bodies are different solutions are different but it all boils down to eating unprocessed foods cutting out sugar and eating less then you burn. 

For some that is easy for others its harder but its not impossible only for a marginal percentage of the population. That percentage does not correlate with the obese people around. 

I was never able to lose weight in my adult life no matter what I tried. It was hopeless. Now the weight is melting off easily. I am very confident I will reach my weight goals, and I was NEVER able to say that is the past. And I have done NONE of the things you mentioned. I have no disease, I take no medication, nothing wrong with me, eating the same foods, little or no exercise. In fact, after all this typing, I think I will eat my THIRD donut this morning and I'll STILL be losing weight, without even trying. THIS is the goal. Then ADD exercise and feel GREAT! My body builder friend APOLOGIZED to me, seeing it work and realizing that diet and lack of exercise was NOT the root cause of my weight problem.

• Haha 1

I was never able to lose weight in my adult life no matter what I tried. It was hopeless. Now the weight is melting off easily. I am very confident I will reach my weight goals, and I was NEVER able to say that is the past. And I have done NONE of the things you mentioned. I have no disease, I take no medication, nothing wrong with me, eating the same foods. In fact, after all this typing, I think I will eat my THIRD donut this morning and I'll STILL be losing weight, without even trying. THIS is the goal. Then ADD exercise and feel GREAT! My body builder friend APOLOGIZED to me, seeing it work and realizing that diet and lack of exercise was NOT the root cause of my weight problem.

You're on the donut diet. Eat three donuts daily and lose weight. You ate three donuts this morning and will not eat again until tomorrow. As far as what we have been saying, this is what works for most people. eating less processed foods and increasing exercise. You keep this lifestyle, you'll stay lean. If you have a way to solve the obesity epidemic without changing your lifestyle, the world needs to know and you'll have more money than Trump.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NotYourBusiness said:

Nope, fatty foods are definitely not the root problem. And yes there is fundamentally something wrong with the way we live, and the result is a lot of fat people. So YES, of course we will need to change something. But the difference is, I can tell you, if the change you are recommending is diet and exercise, it WON'T work for the vast majority of people. This has been proven time and time again.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/07/120725200304.htm

I made a change, it was NONE of the things you mentioned, and it is working fine, easily losing lot's of weight, same foods, no exercise, no drugs, no diseases or other medical problems. I already told you where to find the answer.

Where  to find the answer is you (allegedly).  IF you have found the solution why not help others by telling us this break thru way to get healthy and lose weight that you have discovered?

Just now, Logosone said:

Is the common link related to glucose, hyperglycemia or insulin?

I don't see the relevance anyway. We are talking about what to do to lose weight, to prevent obesity. Looking at the average person who doesn't have a disease and will have results from a diet and fitness lifestyle change. Even those affected by an underlying disease will benefit. What happened to those babies and man isn't a normal thing. Some babies are born with extra fat but not that much. That is from a disease like those mentioned previously. The man also, his having something to do with his thyroid possibly. This post is what percent of obesity cases are from lifestyle choices, and we've covered that. It's most of them, meaning over 90% of the cases, the rest being underlying diseases and medicine, which again, will still be helped by a diet change.

Edited by fredwiggy

I dont see the problem with exercising, its something that will enhance quality of life (unless you over do it). But there are enough kinds of exercises out there to do. Biking, swimming, walking, running, jogging, weight lifting, golf, TRX band work,aerobic, and on and on  whatever. As long as its done consistently and the people like it.

Its not a great too for weight loss at all though studies show it helps to keep weight off. I certainly don't see exercise as a tool for weight loss. It can help but diet (lifestyle change) is the main thing. 

Just go from processed food to unprocessed foods eat your veggies and fruits eat some meat (or not)

As for eating donuts... you might be losing weight but its still not an healthy diet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I don't see the relevance anyway. We are talking about what to do to lose weight, to prevent obesity. Looking at the average person who doesn't have a disease and will have results from a diet and fitness lifestyle change. Even those affected by an underlying disease will benefit. What happened to those babies and man isn't a normal thing. Some babies are born with extra fat but not that much. That is from a disease like those mentioned previously. The man also, his having something to do with his thyroid possibly.

Yes, it's true, exercise and diet will benefit anyone. However, it may be this person has found a particular hormone or physical related cause for his overweight, and by addressing it is able to reduce weight without excercise or diet. Would be interesting if that were the case. Yes, could be thyroid.

Edited by Logosone
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

Just go from processed food to unprocessed foods eat your veggies and fruits eat some meat (or not)

What does "processed" food mean exactly? Is bread processed food? Is frozen food processed?

So no bread? ? No frozen green beans though frozen food has the same vitamins as non-frozen?

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Logosone said:

What does "processed" food mean exactly? Is bread processed food? Is frozen food processed?

So no bread? ? No frozen green beans though frozen food has the same vitamins as non-frozen?

Processed food usually means those ready made meals. So frozen food like a complete meals is processed. The frozen fruits i buy for my yoghurt are not processed. Basically the more it looks like it came from the land and is not yet made into a meal is unprocessed.  No problems with frozen beans at all. Personally i used to buy the beans / corn / carot mix and steamed it or stirfried it and prepared some fish or meat with it.

Basically it means that you prepare your own food as food companies put in a lot of (bad) additives. Street food can be bad because of the oils / msg / sugar they put into it. When you make your own stuff you know what you put into it.

One of my meals is non flavored non sugar yoghurt from the makro (comes in big 1.8kg tubs). I add some musli and some frozen fruit and a scoop of casein powder. I like it it fills me up and ticks all the boxes. Others might argue its bad (not everone is a fan of dairy and not everyone things protein powders are good). For me protein powders are an easy way to keep protein a bit higher while not adding to many calories.

One of my meals is a salad from Jones salad, i then add some extra meat (1 or 2 beef patties from makro). Morning meal can be oatmeal or a toastie.

Right now im not eating that much as i quickly want to lose the weight i got on normally i eat a bit more.

But my main thing is that i removed all sweet drinks (i really liked them but i just cant stop at just one). Now i prefer to cut it all as its easier then to just drink one. 

Bread is processed but its not to bad if eaten in moderation. Pastries is a lot worse and more processed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

Processed food usually means those ready made meals. So frozen food like a complete meals is processed. The frozen fruits i buy for my yoghurt are not processed. Basically the more it looks like it came from the land and is not yet made into a meal is unprocessed.  No problems with frozen beans at all. Personally i used to buy the beans / corn / carot mix and steamed it or stirfried it and prepared some fish or meat with it.

Basically it means that you prepare your own food as food companies put in a lot of (bad) additives. Street food can be bad because of the oils / msg / sugar they put into it. When you make your own stuff you know what you put into it.

One of my meals is non flavored non sugar yoghurt from the makro (comes in big 1.8kg tubs). I add some musli and some frozen fruit and a scoop of casein powder. I like it it fills me up and ticks all the boxes. Others might argue its bad (not everone is a fan of dairy and not everyone things protein powders are good). For me protein powders are an easy way to keep protein a bit higher while not adding to many calories.

One of my meals is a salad from Jones salad, i then add some extra meat (1 or 2 beef patties from makro). Morning meal can be oatmeal or a toastie.

Right now im not eating that much as i quickly want to lose the weight i got on normally i eat a bit more.

But my main thing is that i removed all sweet drinks (i really liked them but i just cant stop at just one). Now i prefer to cut it all as its easier then to just drink one. 

Bread is processed but its not to bad if eaten in moderation. Pastries is a lot worse and more processed

My woman makes exactly a similar yoghurt, nuts instead of muesli and no casein. Tastes good.

Okay so bread is processed food, but frozen food is not processed even though it underwent the freezing process.  But it is okay to eat bread. In moderation. 

How about potatoes, pasta and rice? Only in moderation or not at all? Do you eat that?

No sweet drinks? If you like them why don't you drink diet Sprite and Coke? Sweet but no sugar or calories? No fruit juices?