what percent of obesity cases are the result of lifestyle choices?

Just now, robblok said:

Processed food usually means those ready made meals. So frozen food like a complete meals is processed. The frozen fruits i buy for my yoghurt are not processed. Basically the more it looks like it came from the land and is not yet made into a meal is unprocessed.  No problems with frozen beans at all. Personally i used to buy the beans / corn / carot mix and steamed it or stirfried it and prepared some fish or meat with it.

Basically it means that you prepare your own food as food companies put in a lot of (bad) additives. Street food can be bad because of the oils / msg / sugar they put into it. When you make your own stuff you know what you put into it.

One of my meals is non flavored non sugar yoghurt from the makro (comes in big 1.8kg tubs). I add some musli and some frozen fruit and a scoop of casein powder. I like it it fills me up and ticks all the boxes. Others might argue its bad (not everone is a fan of dairy and not everyone things protein powders are good). For me protein powders are an easy way to keep protein a bit higher while not adding to many calories.

One of my meals is a salad from Jones salad, i then add some extra meat (1 or 2 beef patties from makro). Morning meal can be oatmeal or a toastie.

Right now im not eating that much as i quickly want to lose the weight i got on normally i eat a bit more.

But my main thing is that i removed all sweet drinks (i really liked them but i just cant stop at just one). Now i prefer to cut it all as its easier then to just drink one. 

Bread is processed but its not to bad if eaten in moderation. Pastries is a lot worse and more processed

I'm glad you mentioned no sugar yogurt from makro. we don't have a Makro here but Sisaket does. Now I can get it for myself and my wife. Milk isn't good with me (use soy) but yogurt is okay because it has less lactose. A lot of foods are processed  but you and I are talking about what we both said, adding things that aren't healthy.

Just now, Logosone said:

My woman makes exactly a similar yoghurt, nuts instead of muesli and no casein. Tastes good.

Okay so bread is processed food, but frozen food is not processed even though it underwent the freezing process.  But it is okay to eat bread. In moderation. 

How about potatoes, pasta and rice? Only in moderation or not at all? Do you eat that?

No sweet drinks? If you like them why don't you drink diet Sprite and Coke? Sweet but no sugar or calories? No fruit juices?

I've been eating pasta (up to 4 times a week until I came here), rice,potatoes and bread all the time. They are all good carbs, if the bread doesn't have too much sugar. If i  want to get lean, I'll cut down on the carbs a bit, but not eliminate them as they are the source of energy. protein is for muscle building. I drink diet soda but not too much, just before and during mowing the lawn or watering the grass and plants. Fruit juices are sugar. natural but almost the same as white sugar as far as the body processes them the same.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Logosone said:

My woman makes exactly a similar yoghurt, nuts instead of muesli and no casein. Tastes good.

Okay so bread is processed food, but frozen food is not processed even though it underwent the freezing process.  But it is okay to eat bread. In moderation. 

How about potatoes, pasta and rice? Only in moderation or not at all? Do you eat that?

No sweet drinks? If you like them why don't you drink diet Sprite and Coke? Sweet but no sugar or calories? No fruit juices?

Freezing is processing but not bad processing. The stuff stays the same. Bread went from grains to bread by grinding adding stuff and baking.. far more processed but in moderation its good.

Potatoes, pasta and rice also in moderation is good (its the quantity that counts). I eat those too but right now not that much as I want to go a bit faster in my weight loss. Normally i do eat it.

I do drink sprite and coke without sugar but there are concerns about aspham. But I occasionally drink it. Fruit juices are the worst. They might look healthy but its all sugar and almost no fiber. Better to just eat fruits. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I'm glad you mentioned no sugar yogurt from makro. we don't have a Makro here but Sisaket does. Now I can get it for myself and my wife. Milk isn't good with me (use soy) but yogurt is okay because it has less lactose. A lot of foods are processed  but you and I are talking about what we both said, adding things that aren't healthy.

This is what i mean its not always available but then they have the 500 gram ones. This one is 1.8 liter or kg

yog.JPG

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I've been eating pasta (up to 4 times a week until I came here), rice,potatoes and bread all the time. They are all good carbs, if the bread doesn't have too much sugar. If i  want to get lean, I'll cut down on the carbs a bit, but not eliminate them as they are the source of energy. protein is for muscle building. I drink diet soda but not too much, just before and during mowing the lawn or watering the grass and plants. Fruit juices are sugar. natural but almost the same as white sugar as far as the body processes them the same.

Indeed i never totally remove carbs, some people do so I don't I just need them. I tried eliminating it all but did not help me that much. I prefer balanced. So fat, carbs and proteins. 

I like my pasta and again its the quantity that counts. Eat too much and it is bad, but same goes for proteins and fats.

Just now, Logosone said:

How about sweets, you don't eat cakes, muffins, chocolate, wafers, ice cream I imagine? None at all, since it's processed?

And of course no snacks like potato crips, like ever?

No cakes, pies muffins or wafers.. Baked chips sometimes and pretzels. I'll sneak a bite of candy once in a blue moon. Sugar free ice cream and frozen yogurt if it's low fat sometimes. Love a good New York/ New Jersey pizza but haven't found that here (yet). I'll have one when I fly back to visit as soon as this Covid deal gets better.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

This is what i mean its not always available but then they have the 500 gram ones. This one is 1.8 liter or kg

yog.JPG

That'll work fine. The wife has diabetes so her sugar days are over. I used to agg low fat granola to yogurt before it became a fad. Now I'll do that and also fruit like mango

2 minutes ago, Logosone said:

How about sweets, you don't eat cakes, muffins, chocolate, wafers, ice cream I imagine? None at all, since it's processed?

No I don't eat those.. because once i start its hard to control myself. Though when I am lean I might take an ice-cream once in a while. But its rare. 

I have found for me that its better to cut it out as moderation is my problem. It starts with a lil bit and gets more and more. 

Especially when I want to lose weight those things you mention really contain a lot of calories. 

I am not blessed with a fast metabolism, im blessed that i can get muscle (relatively) easy. So I just have to watch myself. 

Everyone is different some people can easily get away with the things you mentioned others cannot. Also I am trying to go far lower in bodyfat then the average person. Its a goal for me something to work towards. If i just wanted to maintain my current state (slim no belly) then it could be eaten in moderation. But for my goal its just not smart to do.

But these things really depend on your goals and how fast you want to lose the weight. It also depends on yourself. Some people can take one muffin others like me would like to have one every day or more then. For me its just hard to control so not taking it works better. 

Some things you have to figure out yourself as we all have different triggers.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

I don't see the relevance anyway. We are talking about what to do to lose weight, to prevent obesity. Looking at the average person who doesn't have a disease and will have results from a diet and fitness lifestyle change. Even those affected by an underlying disease will benefit. What happened to those babies and man isn't a normal thing. Some babies are born with extra fat but not that much. That is from a disease like those mentioned previously. The man also, his having something to do with his thyroid possibly. This post is what percent of obesity cases are from lifestyle choices, and we've covered that. It's most of them, meaning over 90% of the cases, the rest being underlying diseases and medicine, which again, will still be helped by a diet change.

And what if you are wrong?

Thought exercise. Let's say that there is this fictional country where there is something in the water that makes people incredibly hungry twenty four hours a day, so they eat much more than an ordinary person would eat. Not only that, but this mysterious substance also makes any food these poor people eat get immediately stored as fat and not burned. It would be reasonable to expect in this fictional country that there would be more fat people than in a county without this substance in the water. Probably all the people would be fat or at least fatter.

Question for you: would you say that these fat people in this country, which has this substance in the water, are fat because of choices they made? Because I wouldn't.

• Confused 2

6 hours ago, Logosone said:

None at all. Never any snacks like potato crisps. It's a lifestyle. I'll typically, since I'm lazy, snack on some natural yogurt w/ berries; a glass of unsweetened soy milk w/ coconut milk, some raisins, and a scoop of protein powder + a square of 90% dark chocolate; a couple of teaspoons of natural unsweetened peanut butter w/ raisins; or a couple of boiled eggs w/ half a glass of coconut milk.

7 hours ago, Logosone said:

No. Water, coffee, tea most of the time. Half a glass of wine with dinner. A beer or two (no more than 2) when I'm out, diet Coke or Pepsi on some rare occasion. Used to drink unsweetened tomato juice a lot but got tired of it and decided it's not that good for me anyway.

It's hard at first to cut out all the <deleted> (though I did it many years ago), but you get used to it. Believe me, I don't miss it at all. Never even think about it. If I'm forced to help eat somebody's birthday cake, I'll just have a few bites. That's another trick: have only a bite or two of the evil food just to remind you, then stop--but you have to stop.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, NotYourBusiness said:

And what if you are wrong?

Thought exercise. Let's say that there is this fictional country where there is something in the water that makes people incredibly hungry twenty four hours a day, so they eat much more than an ordinary person would eat. Not only that, but this mysterious substance also makes any food these poor people eat get immediately stored as fat and not burned. It would be reasonable to expect in this fictional country that there would be more fat people than in a county without this substance in the water. Probably all the people would be fat or at least fatter.

Question for you: would you say that these fat people in this country, which has this substance in the water, are fat because of choices they made? Because I wouldn't.

That's not a fictional thing. Most people do eat more then they need. You would be surprised how little food we need to get by, and healthy. Exercise, although it doesn't burn many calories per hour with the exception of downhill skiing, jumping rope, kickboxing, running and cycling, requires a little more food but not that much. It isn't in the water. It's a lack of willpower because food tastes so good, and some can't resist eating more then they need. Again, as someone said, if you go back just 100 years. most people weren't fat, mainly because food wasn't processed with added sugars and fats. People ate what they grew, and raised, and usually worked harder. Today, and more each year, technology is making humans lazier, and the ones that don't set out to exercise frequently, won't be building muscle (which burns fat), and will have to eat less because many jobs like sitting at a desk don't burn many calories per hour, and unless you're on your feet for a lot of the time, your body will not need much food every day. Eating food adds up. You don't get fat overnight, and you can't burn it off in a day either. If your body needs 1500 calories a day, taking into consideration resting and moving but no exercise, and you eat that and drink a soda extra every day, that's over 70,000 calories of pure sugar added to your body every year. When you eat carbohydrates, your body has to burn them first before it burns stored fat. Think of how much stored fat you're getting from that 1 extra soda a day. If you ate 1500 calories a day and exercised 1 hour 3x a week cycling, usually burning an average of 500 calories an hour, that's 1500 extra calories you would burn a week, 7800 a year. You could lose 2 pounds of fat a year just from that exercise alone. That may not seem like a lot, but that's fat kept off because your lifestyle includes not eating more than you need, plus you added exercise to burn more. If there was a country where something was in the water that made people eat more, some would know this and adjust their caloric intake, because some would have the will power and the desire to be lean. The will power that keeps you on track, that puts you back on track when you slip, as everyone does at times. If everyone was fat because of something in the water, they might move to the other countries where they see lean people, knowing it has to be something where they are living. The USA has up to 65% obese people, while Thailand has no more than 22% obese. Most anyone could recognize that it's because of two things. More hard working farmers and a leaner diet (on average) than the US has. People here get fat because they get "Americanized". They drink sugar sodas, and eat processed food. If all countries had something in the water, everyone would be fat so no one would know the difference. It seems like you are referring to Cushings syndrome or hypothyroidism  like I mentioned earlier. Unless you had a live in roommate that was adding something to your water for years and you finally discovered the truth, threw them out, and now are losing weight because you eliminated the problem.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

That's not a fictional thing. Most people do eat more then they need. You would be surprised how little food we need to get by, and healthy. Exercise, although it doesn't burn many calories per hour with the exception of downhill skiing, jumping rope, kickboxing, running and cycling, requires a little more food but not that much. It isn't in the water. It's a lack of willpower because food tastes so good, and some can't resist eating more then they need. Again, as someone said, if you go back just 100 years. most people weren't fat, mainly because food wasn't processed with added sugars and fats. People ate what they grew, and raised, and usually worked harder. Today, and more each year, technology is making humans lazier, and the ones that don't set out to exercise frequently, won't be building muscle (which burns fat), and will have to eat less because many jobs like sitting at a desk don't burn many calories per hour, and unless you're on your feet for a lot of the time, your body will not need much food every day. Eating food adds up. You don't get fat overnight, and you can't burn it off in a day either. If your body needs 1500 calories a day, taking into consideration resting and moving but no exercise, and you eat that and drink a soda extra every day, that's over 70,000 calories of pure sugar added to your body every year. When you eat carbohydrates, your body has to burn them first before it burns stored fat. Think of how much stored fat you're getting from that 1 extra soda a day. If you ate 1500 calories a day and exercised 1 hour 3x a week cycling, usually burning an average of 500 calories an hour, that's 1500 extra calories you would burn a week, 7800 a year. You could lose 2 pounds of fat a year just from that exercise alone. That may not seem like a lot, but that's fat kept off because your lifestyle includes not eating more than you need, plus you added exercise to burn more. If there was a country where something was in the water that made people eat more, some would know this and adjust their caloric intake, because some would have the will power and the desire to be lean. The will power that keeps you on track, that puts you back on track when you slip, as everyone does at times. If everyone was fat because of something in the water, they might move to the other countries where they see lean people, knowing it has to be something where they are living. The USA has up to 65% obese people, while Thailand has no more than 22% obese. Most anyone could recognize that it's because of two things. More hard working farmers and a leaner diet (on average) than the US has. People here get fat because they get "Americanized". They drink sugar sodas, and eat processed food. If all countries had something in the water, everyone would be fat so no one would know the difference. It seems like you are referring to Cushings syndrome or hypothyroidism  like I mentioned earlier. Unless you had a live in roommate that was adding something to your water for years and you finally discovered the truth, threw them out, and now are losing weight because you eliminated the problem.

Ok man thanks, but you haven't told me anything new that I haven't heard before 100x, in particular from my body building friends. It makes a great story, but just because a million people say it, that doesn't make it true. And in fact, it's counterproductive because I spent a large part of my life following exactly this faulty advice and never addressing the root cause.

I have tried what you have said countless times before, and it has NEVER worked, ever. It's too difficult over long periods to maintain for anyone except fitness buffs. But now I am doing something easy and it works! And I feel that you are sincerely trying to help others, but you are doing a grave dis-service by ignoring all the evidence that "eat less, exercise more" is a failed mantra, while simultaneously closing your mind to the possibility that a chemical imbalance is causing millions of people to be hungry all the time and gain weight easily. Because if that is true, you can exercise all you want but as soon as you stop, the weight comes back on and even more than before, which matches the evidence we see when we look out into the world. Since you are not open to the possibility, I am wasting my time telling you. You need to find it for yourself, but you won't because you are fit. And you lead people down a dead end road. I know for myself that what you have said sounds good but HAS NOT WORKED FOR ME EVER. And millions of other people as well.

To answer the OP, I think that certainly there ARE people who don't care about their weight. But I think the number is low, perhaps 10%. The rest would change it in an INSTANT if they could, but they can't with your advice, it doesn't work. When I say it doesn't work, what I mean is it works a little bit with huge expenditure of energy while they are doing it, but it is TOO DIFFICULT to maintain for long periods. So the end result is FAIL. There IS another way that works.

Once again, I fixed the chemical imbalance in my body and the weight is MELTING off, no exercise needed. I believe this is true of millions of people. But you are too closed minded to even consider the possibility. My problem, and millions of other people's problem, is definitely NOT A LACK OF EXERCISE PROBLEM. The proof is in the scale numbers. And I believe there are MILLIONS of people just like me, don't even know it, and their leaders are leading them down a dead end path, which is why their problem is never able to be solved. Very sad.

Edited by NotYourBusiness
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, robblok said:

@BigStar

Have you never fallen of the wagon for a few months or a month ? I must say that like you say you start to get used to eating the healthier stuff quite fast. It takes a few weeks. 

Normally, left to myself, not really. It helps to keep nothing unhealthy in the house. I do splurge on occasion, that's about it. And the splurge can be anything, notably pizza or Mexican if there's any decent to be had. I have a shot of bourbon now and then (which I greatly enjoy) and a good cigar. Somehow a splurge satisfies me for a few weeks at least.

But friends in the States are the worst influence. You know how they eat over there, and mine always want to go out to eat at restos that serve monster portions. I take half of every meal home to have for lunch the next day. Get tired of mostly ordering the same overpriced salads, too. So much good bread over there . . . . I put up a good rear-guard action anyway.

And I've gone thru a few months of drinking too much beer when I've lived with an old friend over there who is a world-class beer drinker. But he can't stop once he starts until he gets drunk. To me, that's alcoholism. I sip one beer slowly to his three and stop early. Here in Pattaya I'll leave friends to drink themselves under the table in the beer bars if they want to. Just does nothing for me. 

What raised my consciousness was growing up with a severely diabetic father who always had to watch his diet and take injections. Went into comas several times over the years. I've sometimes weighed more than at other times, esp after a visit to the States, but if I gain more than a couple of kilos over "normal" and my pants start feeling too tight, I'll work on losing it, be stricter about the eating window or even intermittent fast.

So I typically annoy friends by urging them to watch their diets and have been told off a few times. ???? Well, I just feel obligated to try at least. Maybe I'll have some effect and more of them won't die early on me.

27 minutes ago, NotYourBusiness said:

Once again, I fixed the chemical imbalance in my body and the weight is MELTING off, no exercise needed.

Never discount the placebo effect, eh. Quackery can be effective, no question.

28 minutes ago, NotYourBusiness said:

you are doing a grave dis-service by ignoring all the evidence that "eat less, exercise more" is a failed mantra

Straw man argument to pretend that your brilliant solution is being ignored when you haven't actually revealed the brilliant solution yet while building up the drama. ???? All posters here do in fact recognize that the overweight and obese are failing to eat less and exercise more, with emphasis on the eat less (one way or the other).

35 minutes ago, NotYourBusiness said:

while simultaneously closing your mind to the possibility that a chemical imbalance is causing millions of people to be hungry all the time and gain weight easily.

Expansion of same straw man argument. Leptin has been mentioned, most everyone, esp here, knows the role of insulin in metabolic syndrome from poor diet or other reason.

42 minutes ago, NotYourBusiness said:

Since you are not open to the possibility, I am wasting my time telling you.

Laughable. What's the real reason you don't wanna tell?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Normally, left to myself, not really. It helps to keep nothing unhealthy in the house. I do splurge on occasion, that's about it. And the splurge can be anything, notably pizza or Mexican if there's any decent to be had. I have a shot of bourbon now and then (which I greatly enjoy) and a good cigar. Somehow a splurge satisfies me for a few weeks at least.

But friends in the States are the worst influence. You know how they eat over there, and mine always want to go out to eat at restos that serve monster portions. I take half of every meal home to have for lunch the next day. Get tired of mostly ordering the same overpriced salads, too. So much good bread over there . . . . I put up a good rear-guard action anyway.

And I've gone thru a few months of drinking too much beer when I've lived with an old friend over there who is a world-class beer drinker. But he can't stop once he starts until he gets drunk. To me, that's alcoholism. I sip one beer slowly to his three and stop early. Here in Pattaya I'll leave friends to drink themselves under the table in the beer bars if they want to. Just does nothing for me. 

What raised my consciousness was growing up with a severely diabetic father who always had to watch his diet and take injections. Went into comas several times over the years. I've sometimes weighed more than at other times, esp after a visit to the States, but if I gain more than a couple of kilos over "normal" and my pants start feeling too tight, I'll work on losing it, be stricter about the eating window or even intermittent fast.

So I typically annoy friends by urging them to watch their diets and have been told off a few times. ???? Well, I just feel obligated to try at least. Maybe I'll have some effect and more of them won't die early on me.

I fallen off a few times usually if something happens with my training. For me they go hand in hand. Also had a period that i really had problems with insomnia (seems to be cured for some reason now) that made me eat bad. 

I know what you mean with people with a bad influence. I have given up (mostly) on correcting friends the responses are not hat great. But i will help if they made the choice themselves. 

I am lucky beer never did anything for me.. if i drank alcohol it was to get drunk never for the taste. 

Yes I never gained too much after losing my weight (never more then 5 kg) .. I did gain but usually its gone quite fast. Yes pants are a good way of showing you you have strayed works the same for me. 

11 hours ago, robblok said:

Freezing is processing but not bad processing. The stuff stays the same. Bread went from grains to bread by grinding adding stuff and baking.. far more processed but in moderation its good.

Potatoes, pasta and rice also in moderation is good (its the quantity that counts). I eat those too but right now not that much as I want to go a bit faster in my weight loss. Normally i do eat it.

I do drink sprite and coke without sugar but there are concerns about aspham. But I occasionally drink it. Fruit juices are the worst. They might look healthy but its all sugar and almost no fiber. Better to just eat fruits. 

Artificially sweetened drinks could be worse than sugar-laden ones, new study suggests

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/article-artificially-sweetened-pop-could-be-worse-than-sugar-laden-soft-drinks/

Diet Soda Could Actually Be Worse For You Than The Regular Stuff

https://www.businessinsider.com/diet-soda-may-not-be-any-better-for-you-2013-7

• Haha 1

For one thing, I am not closed minded, and look at what works before I make a judgement. It works for me and millions of others, so it has been proven to be true. If you "fixed" a chemical imbalance in your body, and millions of others are doing it like you say, please tell us how, because if you don't need the money, at least help others with your discovery. Otherwise it looks like you are looking for attention, and pulling our chains.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BigStar said:

Laughable. What's the real reason you don't wanna tell?

Because no one here is ready to listen and understand (well a few people are). You are too busy preaching failed mantra and thereby misleading everyone, with the best intentions. I don't mean you personally, I mean fitness pro's who lack understanding. And anyone who preaches diets and exercise lack understanding.

"1. As weight loss programs, diets don't work! Yes, you lose weight, but about 95% of people who lose weight by dieting will regain it in 1 to 5 years."

https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl/blog/changepower/201010/why-diets-dont-work-and-what-does

Nine five percent%!!  Furthermore, regain the weight and EVEN MORE!! The end condition is WORSE than the start. After a few tries, overweight people are mentally crushed, resigned to their fate. No thank you. Please stop telling people diets and exercise work. Science proves it doesn't.

What I am doing works, without any special foods, and no exercise, and it is EASY! And I have already told you where to find the answer.

39 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

For one thing, I am not closed minded, and look at what works before I make a judgement. It works for me and millions of others, so it has been proven to be true. If you "fixed" a chemical imbalance in your body, and millions of others are doing it like you say, please tell us how, because if you don't need the money, at least help others with your discovery. Otherwise it looks like you are looking for attention, and pulling our chains.

Hello Fred, please read my posts again. I never said millions of people are doing it. I said millions of people have this problem and are NOT doing it because they are too busy failing at diet and exercise and getting mentally crushed in the process. Please stop doing this to people thanks man. Diets and exercise don't work. Yes they work for fitness guru's. For the vast majority of humans, it doesn't work.

"The average American spends $1,860 annually on health and fitness, including gym memberships, reports GOBankingRates."

https://www.coloradoan.com/story/money/2020/01/11/health-and-fitness-spending-gym-memphership-worth-it/40960733/

That is an amazing statistic and from where I am standing it is a TOTAL FAILURE. Please stop recommending a failed mantra thanks.

9 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Telling us look at the two pictures to see what they have in common does nothing. Yes, most people that start a diet program do fail, because it's never a diet that works in the long run, as all kinds of diets have come and gone over the years. It's still a lifestyle change that works, and always works. Why keep posting the same things, like you say we are doing? If you had a special plan that actually works, others would have it by now, unless you invented this plan and are keeping it secret, which is selfish as you know how many are failing at dieting. Tell us again where to find the answer because I must have missed it somehow. This is an excerpt from the link you provided.................So the first step towards permanent healthy weight loss is, somewhat ironically, to lose the diet and the diet mindset. Instead think about a Healthy Eating Plan (a HEP) that you could live with and enjoy for life. The best answer to dieting, then, is a lifelong program of everyday healthy, pleasurable eating coupled with regular exercise. To lose weight, eat less and exercise more. How boring! How prosaic! Yet how true..............................Lifestyle change

OK perhaps we are getting somewhere. So you are in agreement that diets and exercise don't work? BigStar? Robblock? ????

Eat Drink and Be Merry for Tomorrow Ye Shall Die. Diets only turn nice natured people into a grumpy pain in the But, and near to unbearable when more weight piles back on later. Some of these posts border on Neurotic caused by the power of the Media, Big Business, n vanity. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Diets DO work, but I hasten to differentiate between the 2 definitions of the world 'diet'.

For many, the word 'diet' means some sort of special, short-term food regime, aimed at rapidly taking the Kg off your body.  After that short-term event, many people return to eating unhealthy and fattening foods, as well as not doing any exercise.

For me, the word 'diet' simply means following a healthy eating and exercise lifestyle EVERY DAY, not some short-term fad.  If you want to lose weight and keep that weight off, forget about short-term dieting programs.  You need a complete, long-term lifestyle change over to healthy food and regular exercise.

Don't suddenly cut out the unhealthy food.  Take things very slowing and start to reduce the size of your food portions.  Start to add some fruit and vegetables etc.  It took me maybe 2+ years to slowly change from an unhealthy lifestyle to a relatively healthy one.  When I started, I couldn't even jog 100 metres!  Now I can jog 10,000 metres.  I eat smaller portions of food and cut out all processed foods.  As a scientist teacher, I understand that my body still does need some sugar and salt, as well as a range of foods that provide protein, carbs, good fats, vitamins and minerals.  I can eat small meals without feeling hungry and my mind is clear and sharp - no brain fog.

So... forget about crash fad diets. This is a life-long change and it's your choice whether you want to go down that path.  Good luck.

Hello Simon and thank you for your contribution. Congratulations and no one can argue with your success. You don't mention how many kilo's you lost, if any. And you don't mention what will happen when you are unable to do these exercises. And YES we can all agree that regular exercise is great for one's general health. Where we differ is everyone here is saying that the obesity epidemic is a diet and lack of exercise problem. I disagree strongly.

Lastly, what if, for every success like yours, and Fred, and Robblok, there are TWENTY failures, like mine, and millions of others. Because that is what the data shows. Would you still say that diets and exercise work?

20 minutes ago, NotYourBusiness said:

OK perhaps we are getting somewhere. So you are in agreement that diets and exercise don't work? BigStar? Robblock? ????

As I said before, it isn't diets that work. It's, again, a lifestyle change. If you don't like exercise, which does help build muscle, and muscle burns more fat, you change the way you have been eating. Exercise burns calories and helps, as stated. You can sit around , not exercise ,and eat donuts all day, but telling others what I recommend is wrong IS hurting them, as there are many lean people that die every day from a bad diet. If you don't have the will power to make a lifestyle change, and stick with it, as millions have, you will go back to eating badly again, and suffer the consequences. If you want to get lean, you have to eat to get lean. If you want to get fit, you have to eat and exercise to get fit. You stated, perhaps we are getting somewhere, after I posted about the link you provided. That link tells people to adopt a lifestyle change, as we have been saying all along. You still haven't said anything about what you are doing, acting more like a troll every post. I've done this for 45 years, and have stayed lean all that time, so what I'm talking about works, for me and anyone who has done it. Yes, most people fail because they don't want to do what's required. Sticking to the plan, forever. There are no short cuts, no quick fixes. If you want to stay lean, and have a problem with weight, you change the way you have learned to eat all your life, you adopt new habits, and stick with them. Simple.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

As I said before, it isn't diets that work. It's, again, a lifestyle change. If you don't like exercise, which does help build muscle, and muscle burns more fat, you change the way you have been eating. Exercise burns calories and helps, as stated. You can sit around , not exercise ,and eat donuts all day, but telling others what I recommend is wrong IS hurting them, as there are many lean people that die every day from a bad diet. If you don't have the will power to make a lifestyle change, and stick with it, as millions have, you will go back to eating badly again, and suffer the consequences. If you want to get lean, you have to eat to get lean. If you want to get fit, you have to eat and exercise to get fit. You stated, perhaps we are getting somewhere, after I posted about the link you provided. That link tells people to adopt a lifestyle change, as we have been saying all along. You still haven't said anything about what you are doing, acting more like a troll every post.

Calling someone a Troll because they have a strong view is like todays Snowflakes playing  the Raciest Card when your loosing a debate or being challenged.

• Like 1