what percent of obesity cases are the result of lifestyle choices?

3 hours ago, simon43 said:

I found it impossible to get a grasp of my own body status without doing some basic counting of calories and the nutrients contained in them.  For example, nuts are very healthy, but are also high calorific.

As to your question, no one is doomed to a life of obesity, (except for a few medical conditions). IMHO, "make a sincere effort to exercise and eat reasonably healthy)" are words practically unknown to the vast majority of ALL humans, and not just those who are obese.  Greed, selfishness and laziness are natural human traits, and very few seem to understand the real meaning of 'sincere effort'.   Too many times I've seen people on the treadmill at the gym, walking slowly, playing with their mobile phone, making no effort to reduce their food calorie count.  Ignorance and laziness, nothing else.....

Yes most people don't have to go overboard but at the same time they can't keep drinking as much as they like or eat all the bad stuff as much as they like. Its just cutting a bit out but most are not willing to do so. 

Also exercise some people go for it.. pushing themselves others just go through the motions never pushing themselves. Then you cannot expect any changes. 

16 hours ago, BigStar said:

Not much. Resistance exercise does, though.

I got an assault air bike.. just realized how much of a weakling I am. I thought i could do 20 minutes. I got off at 5 (its hard to go slow so you always have to put quite some effort in it). I believe its more used for HIIT. I must say just a bit on that bike and my legs were pumping like crazy sore and hurting. Will increase what i do on it. But some cycle exercises like the assault air bike certainly build muscle. 

11 hours ago, BananaBandit said:

I walk and do pushups. I don't count calories or anything, but if it's obvious the food is junk, I don't eat it. Virtually no soda, juices, alcohol. 

...Perhaps the subject of obesity is far outside your area of expertise...but I still wish to ask:  In your scientific judgment, about what percent of the human population is essentially doomed to a life of obesity (even if they make a sincere effort to exercise and eat reasonably healthy)?

I think maybe 1-5% talking about medical problems. For the rest it just depends how much they want to change. But you really have to be strong and convinced you want it. Its like stopping with smoking not easy but if you really go for it you can do it. 

17 hours ago, simon43 said:

Too many times I've seen people on the treadmill at the gym, walking slowly, playing with their mobile phone, making no effort to reduce their food calorie count.  Ignorance and laziness, nothing else.....

Okay, so you think almost all obesity cases are behavioural. 

Having taken account of your viewpoint (and, by the way, thank you for giving it), I wish to hear your scientific rationale for why so many of you formally educated types go out of your way to emphasise that obesity has complex causes and that it's not about the individual's behaviour.   Why is this position so popular?

8 hours ago, BananaBandit said:

Okay, so you think almost all obesity cases are behavioural. 

Having taken account of your viewpoint (and, by the way, thank you for giving it), I wish to hear your scientific rationale for why so many of you formally educated types go out of your way to emphasise that obesity has complex causes and that it's not about the individual's behaviour.   Why is this position so popular?

Because even I who believes in exercise and diet knows that there are big differences between people how much they burn and how their hunger works. So while diet and exercise work its not as if everyone's efforts are rewarded equally. 

If you were to start biking (forget about his drug use) you wont get the same results as Lance Armstrong. So some people have to put more effort in it then others.

Plus bad food is tasty and cheap healthy food is often quite expensive. 

So while everyone can lose a lot of weight its not as if its easy and if all efforts are rewarded equally. 

• Like 1

On 6/22/2020 at 7:31 PM, Emdog said:

I started coming to Thailand in '82. Rare to see fat Thais. Now quite common as fast food has become something of a status thing, and people don't like to walk (true everywhere, I imagine).

Look at newsreels of crowds in the West pre-60's. Rare to see lots of obese. Fatty Arbuckle would be called "slim" these days.

Seems no one sure how many genes are involved with obesity, but probably safe to say many of those genes are activated by what people eat and how much they exercise.

Now people are being called out for "fat shaming" as if it were something like sexism or racism. Sorry Porky, but you chose to get fat and I choose to call you out. Fat isn't beautiful besides being a major health risk and we all end up paying for your choices.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2019/07/05/world/science-health-world/genes-yes-obesity-pandemic-mostly-diet-study/

I used to be a ward nurse in the 80s and we never had to use a crane for patients. I doubt there are many patients that don't need one now.

If overweight just remember next time you are stuffing your face that eventually you are going to end up in hospital from disease caused by being overweight, and you will be humiliated by being lifted by a crane. No longer are nurses going to ruin their backs by lifting fat people.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, robblok said:

So while everyone can lose a lot of weight its not as if its easy and if all efforts are rewarded equally. 

Agreed, which is why I'm overweight. However, I know that if I really wanted to I could lose weight by eating less, but I'm hoping for a massive heart attack and going out quickly, as starving myself to lose weight and never eating anything I like again is not something I want to do. What's the point of suffering just to live longer in a rest home?

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

Agreed, which is why I'm overweight. However, I know that if I really wanted to I could lose weight by eating less, but I'm hoping for a massive heart attack and going out quickly, as starving myself to lose weight and never eating anything I like again is not something I want to do. What's the point of suffering just to live longer in a rest home?

All depends on how long you want to live. You don't have to starve yourself. I eat 5 times a day, and have for 45 years. The only thing I've given up is sugar loaded foods, fatty meats and most dairy products. I eat pizza, cheeseburgers , lasagne, pasta all the time, baked potatoes, sweet potatoes, eggs, Thai food cooked in oil, rice and other healthy things. Just small portions.

• Haha 1

On 6/20/2020 at 11:21 AM, Sundown said:

Genetic is an excuse as well as ohhh I cannot lose weight because of thyroid problems. Never seen someone with genetic obesity in Africa. 

Never seen a Zulu then? 

Sorry, did not see the word genetic when I posted. Not sure that it makes a difference though. 

Edited by rott

What's the point of suffering just to live longer in a rest home?

If you look after your body (and that includes exercising your brain), there's no reason at all to consider 'waiting to die' in a rest home.  You should be able to live at home, maybe with some assistance in your later years.  Want a long and healthy life? The idea in your latter years is not to slow down but to speed up....!  My dad dropped dead at 89 years old, but was physically and mentally active every day in his own home.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I really don't see living healthy as suffering. Also its not as bad as you think if your a bit flexible. I went to a great korean suki place. (bit expensive we spend around 2000 bt per person) But the beef was heavenly (each around 200 grams per person). With starters and all but loads of veggies mushrooms and the likes. I really enjoyed the meal. It was healthy too.

I actually enjoy salads too and can eat a pizza once in a while. Its more that you cannot eat <deleted> food too often. If you just want to lose weight and no belly it does not mean you have to give up everything. 

I dont mind dying early I would hate living with major ailments from being overweight a lot more. 

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

All depends on how long you want to live. You don't have to starve yourself. I eat 5 times a day, and have for 45 years. The only thing I've given up is sugar loaded foods, fatty meats and most dairy products. I eat pizza, cheeseburgers , lasagne, pasta all the time, baked potatoes, sweet potatoes, eggs, Thai food cooked in oil, rice and other healthy things. Just small portions.

I love sugar. If I could I'd eat nothing but sugary food in all it's many versions. I don't because I don't want to get diabetes, but I'll probably get it anyway as my mother died from diabetic complications.

I do eat a lot of sugar anyway as it's in most supermarket food and that's my only practical option of getting food. I eat a banana in the morning and one meal at night. Of course it should be the other way around, but I'd have to change my whole life around to do that, so I won't.

My problem is I don't do enough to burn the calories I eat, and that isn't going to change.

50 minutes ago, robblok said:

I really don't see living healthy as suffering. Also its not as bad as you think if your a bit flexible. I went to a great korean suki place. (bit expensive we spend around 2000 bt per person) But the beef was heavenly (each around 200 grams per person). With starters and all but loads of veggies mushrooms and the likes. I really enjoyed the meal. It was healthy too.

I actually enjoy salads too and can eat a pizza once in a while. Its more that you cannot eat <deleted> food too often. If you just want to lose weight and no belly it does not mean you have to give up everything. 

I dont mind dying early I would hate living with major ailments from being overweight a lot more. 

I do know all that, but just don't have the motivation to make the effort. However that's a whole different subject.

BTW beef is really bad for you. I never eat it anymore, and try to stick to chicken and fish, but still love a lamb roast, though not all the time.

One of the major problems with food now that people don't realise is that wheat is contaminated with weedkiller and it affects us badly. Every time we eat bread we are probably poisoning ourselves. I have a condition called leaky gut caused by it which makes me look twice as fat as I actually am. Unfortunately it's really, really hard to not eat anything with wheat in it.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I do know all that, but just don't have the motivation to make the effort. However that's a whole different subject.

BTW beef is really bad for you. I never eat it anymore, and try to stick to chicken and fish, but still love a lamb roast, though not all the time.

One of the major problems with food now that people don't realise is that wheat is contaminated with weedkiller and it affects us badly. Every time we eat bread we are probably poisoning ourselves. I have a condition called leaky gut caused by it which makes me look twice as fat as I actually am. Unfortunately it's really, really hard to not eat anything with wheat in it.

I disagree that beef is bad, it is all about quantity and quality.  As long as your not eating too much too often its ok. (goes for all foods actually)

Never had a problem with wheat, but i have heard about people with your problem before. It might be that because I eat healthy otherwise I don't have the problems you have. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Thru bad choices or bad luck you found youself unable to stay in Thailand and ended up in a nursing home in NZ asking TV posters how to order euthanasia drugs online because you had given up hope on a pleasant life. When given advice on working out doing things to feel better you always have an excuse why you can't. Said you hurt rotator cuff can't exercise. I injured mine and took 7 months to slowly exercise and repair it but as you have said you have no motivation to try.  Rather eat a lot of sugar try to bring on a heart attack rather than do things to improve your health just to linger in a home. After having a heart attack 5 years ago got a 2nd chance ,for 5--6 months didn't eat anything bad but started working out as I had done before coming over here. Later started eating eggs (2 for breakfast) chocolate on occasion if 70+% cocoa, more fish. You say you won't starve yourself and never be able to eat the things that make you happy again just to be healthy and live in the home. I eat everything I ate before just not in the same quantities or every day. Eat a lot more healthy foods but still eat 2 donuts, McDonalds, Pizza but not everyday or even every week. Maybe you will check links below to at least fix your gut problems.

How to Heal Leaky Gut In 7 Easy Steps

https://www.parsleyhealth.com/blog/heal-leaky-gut-5-easy-steps/

https://badgut.org/information-centre/a-z-digestive-topics/leaky-gut-syndrome/

How To Heal Leaky Gut in 7 Easy S

I do eat a lot of sugar anyway as it's in most supermarket food and that's my only practical option of getting food.

Forgive me for asking, but does your supermarket not stock fresh fruit and vegetables, nuts, fresh milk for making kefir milk, fresh fish, probiotic yogurt?

• Like 2

On 6/27/2020 at 5:08 PM, BigStar said:

Not much. Resistance exercise does, though.

I am not meaning bulging ripped muscles. 

If a person walks a lot, cycles and swims every day they will have toned up muscles where flab and fat used to be instead.  

You can be pumped up with muscles like a bodybuilder but still be really unfit. And you can be lean and skinny and very healthy and able to run miles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anyone saying they cant loose weight no matter what they do...follow my diet a few weeks and you will see you loose weight.

Breakfast....NOTHING

Lunch......one portion of Som Tam

Dinner..... Small bag of streamed sweet potatoes 

Drink...... Only water and unsweetened herbal teas..with no milk.

No need to exercise to loose the weight if you don't want to be healthy. 

Eat ONLY this for a month and you will be a lot lighter. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

I am not meaning bulging ripped muscles. 

If a person walks a lot, cycles and swims every day they will have toned up muscles where flab and fat used to be instead.  

You can be pumped up with muscles like a bodybuilder but still be really unfit. And you can be lean and skinny and very healthy and able to run miles.

Sure you can have loads of muscle and no stamina. I am working on stamina but its still hard.

Got an assault air bike and its many times harder then a real bike. Im still trying to do more on it but its hard physically and mentally.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, balo said:

Or just eat oat porridge for breakfast and nothing else that day except water. Maybe a banana for supper. You'll survive.  

Ill be going crazy and womt be able to work as the hunger would distract me.

I prefer eating just a lil less then i burn and go slow. But yes your way would work if your mentally strong

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Anyone saying they cant loose weight no matter what they do...follow my diet a few weeks and you will see you loose weight.

Breakfast....NOTHING

Lunch......one portion of Som Tam

Dinner..... Small bag of streamed sweet potatoes 

Drink...... Only water and unsweetened herbal teas..with no milk.

No need to exercise to loose the weight if you don't want to be healthy. 

Eat ONLY this for a month and you will be a lot lighter. 

Like we all mentioned before. This isn't about "dieting" but changing a lifestyle. No diets are healthy if they don't contain all the necessary nutrients. Yous doesn't have any protein, unless it's unhealthy raw fish that's found in Isaan somtam. You need protein for muscle growth and repair, carbohydrates for energy and fats for essential fatty acids and to absorb Vitamins A, D and E. Unless you of course we joking.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

Like we all mentioned before. This isn't about "dieting" but changing a lifestyle. No diets are healthy if they don't contain all the necessary nutrients. Yous doesn't have any protein, unless it's unhealthy raw fish that's found in Isaan somtam. You need protein for muscle growth and repair, carbohydrates for energy and fats for essential fatty acids and to absorb Vitamins A, D and E. Unless you of course we joking.

I am not against a short term diet to get in better shape followed by a lifestyle change. Sometimes you want to speed things up. But I mean really short time like a few weeks. Still I would never neglect my proteins. 

3 hours ago, robblok said:

Ill be going crazy and womt be able to work as the hunger would distract me.

I prefer eating just a lil less then i burn and go slow. But yes your way would work if your mentally strong

If you were mentally strong, you wouldn’t need dietary advice to lose weight.  You might need dietary advice to lose weight while maintaining health, strength, endurance, social connections or sense of humour.

I’m scared to lose any more weight that would take me into a lower Strava category

• Haha 1