Huge mosquito bite on upper spine...

moontang

Been a week, but I got a large mosquito bite almost on my upper spine/lower neck..complicating matters is that I was somewhat sunburned at the time, and my outer layer of skin peeled off, leaving a 35 mm lump, with a 15 mm scab.  Its location has made it difficult to monitor.  There is still a lot of fluid in it.  I cleaned it with hydrogen peroxide..and have been using Systral cream, which lists insect bites on the tube, for uses.  Just a bit concerned that the scab has the potential to be a secondary infection or some kind of sore that won't heel, with all the fluid underneath.  It is causing a little discomfort, but not painful.  Any treatment recs..on the swelling, keeping it clean, etc..?? I am not allergic to anything..been bitten lots over the years, and even had some large lumps, but never with a scab like this...Thanks, in advance.

3 minutes ago, steven100 said:

go to the hospital and they will know straight away. 200b

If they weren't so damn stingy with pain meds, I probably would.  Hate to pay 1500 THB for six paracetamol and a bag of salt to gargle with.

Thank you for taking one for the team! Its usually me who attracts  the attack of the muzzy,resulting in obsessive scratching ,turning into staff

infection.

Go to the emergency ward or  the pharmacy for antibiotics

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, moontang said:

If they weren't so damn stingy with pain meds, I probably would.  Hate to pay 1500 THB for six paracetamol and a bag of salt to gargle with.

I've always had good experiences with the clinics. Avoid the hotel hospitals and clinics in highly touristed areas.

• Thanks 1

I had a big one like this a long time back, it was on my arm, looked like a second elbow was growing out.

The pharmacist recommended that I take antihistamine tablets, but I know they can have side effects of making you really drowsy all day, so I tried systral cream first and it went away after a short while.

If the cream isn't working then I would suggest speaking to a pharmacist about antihistamine tablets for bites.

I've had a couple of 'scab' type lumps left over after mosquito bites in the past, they can stay for years, especially if you pick them all the time like I did, lol.

There was no liquid remaining on the bite site / lump I had but the scab was long lasting. I had a couple on my head for a long time, they eventually disappeared when I left it alone.

I googled this kind of scab / hard layered skin which is probably a more accurate description of what you seem to be describing and believe it's a dermatological condition thought to be caused by insect bites.

I can't find that google result I previously found maybe 7 or 8 years ago, I went looking for it as I got another one of these hard scab type things on the exact place on my arm where I'd had an insect bite.

So if it's bothering you a trip to see a dermatologist might be in order.

Edited by ukrules
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies.  I killed one in the act a few years ago..on the same spot..I think it had just put the blood thinner in, because it bled and bled..and I am not a bleeder, at all.  So don't know why that is a target, but that is one of the meatier locations if the legs and arms are covered by bedding.

It is almost the pop or not pop dilemma faced by a high school student with a zit.  And in this case I am not worried about scarring.  It seems to be a clear liquid, so it isn't like nasty puss, but I would think it would heal better without the liquid.  Doctors are going to be reluctant to pop it, though, in my experience.

The benedryl might have been better several days ago, but I think I will continue with Systral, and monitor it more closely.  Would be interested to know if anyone has had success draining one with a needle.

6 hours ago, moontang said:

Thanks for the replies.  I killed one in the act a few years ago..on the same spot..I think it had just put the blood thinner in, because it bled and bled..and I am not a bleeder, at all.  So don't know why that is a target, but that is one of the meatier locations if the legs and arms are covered by bedding.

It is almost the pop or not pop dilemma faced by a high school student with a zit.  And in this case I am not worried about scarring.  It seems to be a clear liquid, so it isn't like nasty puss, but I would think it would heal better without the liquid.  Doctors are going to be reluctant to pop it, though, in my experience.

The benedryl might have been better several days ago, but I think I will continue with Systral, and monitor it more closely.  Would be interested to know if anyone has had success draining one with a needle.

You really should nto attempt to do that yourself especially in a location you cannot see well.

Will nto cost much at all to have it done by a doctor. Who unlike you will have aq clear direct view of the lesion and has the training to distinguish abscess from cellulitis from scar tissue etc.

I am puzzled by your statement about pain meds. Why would you need string pain medication for this? As for cost, 50 to maybe 200 baht at a government hospiutal (but long wait, take at least half the day). Or 1000 - 2000 at a private hospital. As you prefer.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

You really should nto attempt to do that yourself especially in a location you cannot see well.

Will nto cost much at all to have it done by a doctor. Who unlike you will have aq clear direct view of the lesion and has the training to distinguish abscess from cellulitis from scar tissue etc.

I am puzzled by your statement about pain meds. Why would you need string pain medication for this? As for cost, 50 to maybe 200 baht at a government hospiutal (but long wait, take at least half the day). Or 1000 - 2000 at a private hospital. As you prefer.

Good pain meds are handy to have..and used to be much easier to get a small amount..kind of a benefit of paying xxx amount for five minutes of their time.  

I know the Systral is good for insect bites, but wonder about putting it on the scab.

Also, wondering if there is a good way to reduce the mass without popping it.  Like ice or heat or garlic, lol.  

I have never heard of a doctor popping a mosquito bite, but this would have been a good candidate.  That is why I asked about that.  If I were still in CM, I would go to big gov hospital, and actually live by MOPH in Nonth, and might have been a good idea to get familiar with that sprawling place, but lately, for some reason, I gave wanted to avoid health care facilities like the Plague, no pun intended.  Highly likely a physician would prescribe the same treatment as a pharmacist, at their pharmacy, of course...but gov hospital is usually a good option.  Looks slightly better, today..and I need more practice of taking photos of the back of my neck with a tablet computer, that is for sure.