Pattaya: Yearlong police foot dragging; Brit pensioner, 80 turns to the media after 350K theft by "uni student"

webfact

Pattaya: Yearlong police foot dragging; Brit pensioner, 80 turns to the media after 350K theft by "uni student"

1pm.jpg

Picture: Channel 7

An 80 year old British pensioner has turned to the Thai media for help after a Thai uni student ripped him off to the tune of 350,000 baht. 

The Brit is unable to get his visa extended until he gets the money. And it has been 11 months since he told the police all about it. 

Wisanu Phutthasa-art, a close friend of the victim, went to Channel 7, after the police failed to do anything more than issue an unanswered summons.

He said that back on July 15th last year the victim had gone to the Pattaya police to tell them that his ATM card had been used to transfer 350,000 baht to a Udon Thani university student that the victim had met a couple of times. 

Seven transfers of 50,000 baht were made on one day, July 6th. 

When confronted with the matter the student reportedly denied it was him but after being shown bank evidence he reportedly admitted the theft and promised to repay it after the Covid-19 situation calmed down. 

Now everything has gone quite on his telephone, Facebook and Line. 

Pattaya police issued a summons but said that the alleged thief had not responded and now the victim needs his money to show for a visa extension so he has turned to the media through his friend for help. 

Source: Channel 7

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-06-23

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, AlfHuy said:

Is there not a daily limit on how much you can withdraw or transfer?

The default daily withdrawal limits on Thai bank cards tend to be quite high, often up to 500,000 baht per day if the accountholder doesn't specifically set a lower limit. And that's just a daily limit. The same thing could be repeated in the next 24 hour cycle, etc etc.

You should check your Thai cards. You might be surprised!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

As for the ATM Withdrawals - it mostly depends on your bank and the limits you've set with them. My Bangkok Bank card for example lets me take 25,000 per withdrawal but I think I can make as many withdrawals as I want. (I did it once at the airport when I wanted to convert some cash into US $ before going back to Afghanistan. I made 6 withdrawals of 20,000 baht in a row, then took 4 steps to the left, handed the cash to the clerk in the exchange and he handed my back a wad of US. No questions asked, no hassles from the ATM.)

I used K-Bank with the usual limits. One time I had to get 200,000 cash and I called the bank. They told me to use my K-Plus App on my phone. I could easily set the limit to a high value and get all the money I wanted out of the ATM. So much about protection.

Maybe the young fried of the old guy borrowed his phone to play on it for a minute or two...

1 hour ago, AlfHuy said:

why he got your bankcard and Pin?

Is there not a daily limit on how much you can withdraw or transfer?

Correct. I have a large balance but the daily limit is 50,000 Baht. Several transfers in a day aren't possible from an ATM. Sounds like a sugar daddy deal gone bad.

Edited by checkered flag

The reality is that the 80 year old will not get his money back, unless the media coverage triggers off donations. Which is a good idea, IMO. As for the Uni student, it's more than likely that he won't be prosecuted because the 80 year old hasn't any money to hire a lawyer - or enough to encourage the police to act.  

And I agree there's more to this story that hasn't been revealed... e.g. a relationship, perhaps? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stephenterry said:

The reality is that the 80 year old will not get his money back, unless the media coverage triggers off donations. Which is a good idea, IMO. As for the Uni student, it's more than likely that he won't be prosecuted because the 80 year old hasn't any money to hire a lawyer - or enough to encourage the police to act.  

And I agree there's more to this story that hasn't been revealed... e.g. a relationship, perhaps? 

Great idea to start a "Go Fund Me" page for a stupid Brit who gave away everything and now want help.

Why would I want to help out someone so mentally febrile. So he can do it again?

• Sad 2

He's probably hoping that a police report will allow him to renew his Extension without having the necessary funds in the bank. Pretty much zero chance he will see a penny of it again and even if he somehow came up with the money he probably still wouldn't get a renewal because of the time needed to have the money in the bank.

If they turn someone down who had a couple monthly transfers come in at barely 20 baht under 65k, I doubt they'd have much sympathy for someone who "met a uni student a few times" and lost 350k in the process.

2 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

He's probably hoping that a police report will allow him to renew his Extension without having the necessary funds in the bank. Pretty much zero chance he will see a penny of it again and even if he somehow came up with the money he probably still wouldn't get a renewal because of the time needed to have the money in the bank.

If they turn someone down who had a couple monthly transfers come in at barely 20 baht under 65k, I doubt they'd have much sympathy for someone who "met a uni student a few times" and lost 350k in the process.

He's toast. Go home to the land of toast and baked beans. Starting with 350K he was well short of the required 800K required so if he's really broke then there are other problems.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

He's toast. Go home to the land of toast and baked beans. Starting with 350K he was well short of the required 800K required so if he's really broke then there are other problems.

He could have had a lot more than that in the bank but maybe 350k was all the uni guy was able to get from the account.

But he won't have many choices if that was what he needed to meet the requirement and hasn't been able to replace it himself over the last year.

Another good reason to keep your "Visa" (Extension) money in a Fixed Term account. Saves you from doing stupid things with it and people can't access it through your ATM card (or online account). 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

None of us are perfect, because we all have human frailties. That's part of life. 'There but for the grace of God go I', comes to mind.

So you can line up as the first donator on the "Go Fund Me" thing. I give to things I know are legit and I'm never cheap. More like ... deviance.

Edited by checkered flag

7 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

He could have had a lot more than that in the bank but maybe 350k was all the uni guy was able to get from the account.

But he won't have many choices if that was what he needed to meet the requirement and hasn't been able to replace it himself over the last year.

Another good reason to keep your "Visa" (Extension) money in a Fixed Term account. Saves you from doing stupid things with it and people can't access it through your ATM card (or online account). 

In other  words he's screwed, without help from his fellow Brits. 

Who said that University students weren't smart?

Edited by checkered flag