Extension of Stay

My Extension of Stay based on Retirement expires on 24.8.20. I left Thailand on 3.3.20. I wish to return asap. I am stuck in Australia as at this stage. Australia won't let me out and Thailand won't let me in. I don't fit into any category as a prefered person for early re entry. Has there been any discussions or decisions regarding leniency regarding extensions of Stay for me and others trapped away from Thailand. 

• Like 1

There is nothing at this time that would allow you to enter the country until flights into the country are allowed for everybody.

Your extension will expire and you will have to start all over again after August 24th.

• Like 2

Thanks Joe.. BUGGAR.. Thought that would be the case. I guess my options are to get a 6 month tourist visa in Australia..convert it to a O visa then upgrade back to my Retirement. Is that the correct and best way to do it. 

12 minutes ago, Haso said:

Thanks Joe.. BUGGAR.. Thought that would be the case. I guess my options are to get a 6 month tourist visa in Australia..convert it to a O visa then upgrade back to my Retirement. Is that the correct and best way to do it. 

Yes. Obtain your non o retirement at immigration in Thailand. You can enter with setv or visa exempt (if ve still available) 

Be prepared for LONG wait

Edited by DrJack54

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes. Obtain your non o retirement at immigration in Thailand. You can enter with setv or visa exempt (if ve still available) 

Be prepared for LONG wait

Don’t forget that the 800k in that case must be from outside Thailand, so may not be so easy. Far better to enter with a Non-O.

30 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Don’t forget that the 800k in that case must be from outside Thailand, so may not be so easy. Far better to enter with a Non-O.

True. However he is from Oz and Thai embassy consulates don't issue non o retirement. It will be long time before he can enter Thailand, he should have plenty of time to do transfers to get the 800k.

Edited by DrJack54

I PM-ed you a comprehensive Guideline document outlining all options/details on how to apply for a Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement.  The document is written from the premisse that you are already in Thailand, but it also addresses the cases - like yours - where you are still in your home-country.

> To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your profile when logged in to the Forum.

not allowed to fly back and so if no allowance made by immigration and required to jump through all hoops to start anew I will simply advise them I am moving myself my funds and my support elsewhere. Goodbye to hassle and being taken for a ride.

9 hours ago, Haso said:

If Australia won't let you out of the country, why do you think anyone at TV would have an idea how to get here? You just need a 60 days tourist visa or even only a 30 days visa exempt if you meet the financial requirements in Thailand for the conversion. 

6 hours ago, Haso said:

Thanks for advice.. Keep the beer cold

Haso, very bad situation. I hate to say it but IMO will be long time to get back in, especially as you will be entering Thailand on a tourist visa or visa exempt given non o retirement not available in Oz.

Was chatting with my partner and she asked about our next trip Japan December.

I said don't even think about it. 

Hopefully you can get back in this year. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Haso said:

Probably not. If Australia allows exit and Thailand allows entry you may have to have a visa to enter Thailand, it is certainly possible maybe probable that visa exempt entry will not be allowed, in the near term, when entry of foreign visitors is permitted. 

If this is the case then after getting into Thailand an exit to a nearby country to get a Non-O visa (assuming that will be permitted) is likely to be a better choice, unless you want to transfer in the required 800,000 in new funds from overseas. 

As some offices do not accept regular foreign money transfers for issuing an Non-O in Thailand you may have little choice. 

All of this is speculation as no borders are open for non business/family entry. So you will have to wait and see the options that are available and base your visa on the best choice for you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

If this is the case then after getting into Thailand an exit to a nearby country to get a Non-O visa (assuming that will be permitted) is likely to be a better choice, unless you want to transfer in the required 800,000 in new funds from overseas

Your suggestion is very valid. I see it slightly differently. I know there are ways to send funds from Thailand back to home country. My main point is that I would be doing EVERYTHING to remain in Thailand if in OP situation and was able to enter. 

Certainly not exit to Laos. 

Even if I needed to get over the issue of funds from outside.

Most likely chat to agent (which I have never used) 

The OP flying from Oz will enter BKK or DMK.

56 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Your suggestion is very valid. I see it slightly differently. I know there are ways to send funds from Thailand back to home country. My main point is that I would be doing EVERYTHING to remain in Thailand if in OP situation and was able to enter. 

Certainly not exit to Laos. 

Even if I needed to get over the issue of funds from outside.

Most likely chat to agent (which I have never used) 

The OP flying from Oz will enter BKK or DMK.

Once it’s possible to fly in from Australia, even if there is a quarantine, it’s is very likely that a trip to one of the nearby countries to get a Non-O visa will also be possible.

It maybe that bring in 800K in new funds is a good choice for the OP.

I will never discuss the benefits/risks of illegal activity and that is what the “agents” are doing. 

13 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There is nothing at this time that would allow you to enter the country until flights into the country are allowed for everybody.

Your extension will expire and you will have to start all over again after August 24th.

Joe, I’m in uk but have until 22 January on my current Non imm O  retirement visa extension, so time yet to see what unravels. Since my current extension I have been bringing in 65k plus each and every month sinceJanuary and intend to continue with that until this January to qualify on the income qualification. Should the same happen to me and cannot get back in by then and have to restart will I be able to use my proof of Income over the previous 12 months as the basis for extending what I presume will be my new visa? I am married but prefer to avoid that visa if possible and having to deposit 400k - although of course that is far less onerous than the retirement 800k conditions 

7 hours ago, nchuckle said:

Since my current extension I have been bringing in 65k plus each and every month sinceJanuary and intend to continue with that until this January to qualify on the income qualification. Should the same happen to me and cannot get back in by then and have to restart will I be able to use my proof of Income over the previous 12 months as the basis for extending what I presume will be my new visa?

Yes you can.

9 hours ago, nchuckle said:

Joe, I’m in uk but have until 22 January on my current Non imm O  retirement visa extension, so time yet to see what unravels. Since my current extension I have been bringing in 65k plus each and every month sinceJanuary and intend to continue with that until this January to qualify on the income qualification. Should the same happen to me and cannot get back in by then and have to restart will I be able to use my proof of Income over the previous 12 months as the basis for extending what I presume will be my new visa? I am married but prefer to avoid that visa if possible and having to deposit 400k - although of course that is far less onerous than the retirement 800k conditions 

If you are able to re-enter Thailand before your current permission to stay expires (22 January), you will be able to apply for a 1-year extension of stay based on that Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement, because you meet the financial requirements when having transferred +65K (with foreign origins proven) each and every month during the 12 months preceding your application.

However, in the unlikely case that you are not able to re-enter Thailand before 22 January, your current permission to stay will be void and you will have to start from scratch again by applying for a new Visa and subsequent extension.  When doing so, you only need to show that you did ONE transfer at the moment of application, so obviously your 12 transfers will qualify for a new Visa application.

>> I have PM-ed you a comprehensive guideline document outlining all details/options to apply for a Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement.  The document starts from the premisse that you are already in Thailand but also covers the options when still abroad. 

Hope you won't need it and that you are able to return to Thailand before 22 January

On 6/24/2020 at 9:42 AM, Haso said:

hardly a big deal since you are out of the country already, you will have one extra step when you come back - conversion to 90 day Type O in Thailand

18 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Highly likely his 800k came from outside Thailand

8 hours ago, smedly said:

Highly likely his 800k came from outside Thailand

It makes no difference where his money that is in Thailand came from, unless he is able to get a fresh bank document confirming that and it’s quite possible that even that document  (if the transfers were years ago) could be rejected.

The requirement to get a Non-O for retirement in Thailand is 

5.3 Evidence of foreign currency fund transferred to Thailand 

(Documents under 5.1, 5.2 and 5.3 must be issued and updated to be the same date of the Application and all documents must be in the Applicant's name.) 

It is quite likely that unless he brings in a fresh 800,000 from overseas he will not be able to fulfil 5.3