Honda CRV prices in Thailand?

giddyup

A little curious. The price for a 2020 CRV top of the range is 1.7 mil baht, which is around $80,000 in Australia, but the same model sells in Australia for $45,000 or around 1 mil baht. Aren't the CRV's made in Thailand, and if so, why the difference in price?

2 minutes ago, uncleP said:

You will also find that Thai specs are not what they are elsewhere. CRV is overpriced and underspeced here. Mazda are a much better option

Yes, even the pickups have better options included in export models. My 2015 Triton didn't even come with a passenger airbag! You couldn't sell it like that in Oz.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

We're not in Australia, where you may pay higher income tax and fuel costs.

But yeah, cars are expensive here compared to abroad... and the difference is even greater for secondhand cars.

For cars made here, and with lower power and engine sizes, prices are ok. Then you pay more for where the vehicle is made, its engine size and its power output.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, 2long said:

We're not in Australia, where you may pay higher income tax and fuel costs.

But yeah, cars are expensive here compared to abroad... and the difference is even greater for secondhand cars.

For cars made here, and with lower power and engine sizes, prices are ok. Then you pay more for where the vehicle is made, its engine size and its power output.

But isn't the CRV made here? I've lived in Thailand for 11 years, so I know we pay ridiculous prices for both new and used cars here, but for cars that are made here I'd expect them to be cheaper than elsewhere.

Edited by giddyup

On 6/25/2020 at 1:02 PM, giddyup said:

But isn't the CRV made here? I've lived in Thailand for 11 years, so I know we pay ridiculous prices for both new and used cars here, but for cars that are made here I'd expect them to be cheaper than elsewhere.

It doesn't work that way. The gov't taxes on vehicles are high, plus the dealers operate a cartel to keep their profits high.  Additionally, except for luxury cars, standard and option eqmt is usually a couple of years behind what's offered in the West.  But houses are a lot cheaper!

Yes car prices are high and even for pickups it is about on par with Australia but the options and extras are not there. My 2014 Mazda BT 50 doesn’t have a heated demist a real pain in the tropical down pours, can’t imagine what it’s like up north in winter!!

houses are cheap-ish but fail to hold their value in Phuket at least from my experience.

• Like 2

The taxes are ridiculous.  In 2018 my partner and I paid about 1.5MB for an AWD model--about $46,000 USA dollars.  In USA, we could likely have bought the same model for around $25,000.  In America, that same $46,000 we spent could have gotten us into an Audi Q5.  And, not much negotiation on price allowed here.

• Like 1

I’ve a MUX a couple years ago in NE it was cold in the wee hours of the morning and I had take neighbor an hour away.. wife let someone borrow my only light jacket.., I was freezing...

looked and looked... what no heater? 

28 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

I’ve a MUX a couple years ago in NE it was cold in the wee hours of the morning and I had take neighbor an hour away.. wife let someone borrow my only light jacket.., I was freezing...

looked and looked... what no heater? 

Thailand gets the poverty pack models.

Speaking from experience. I owned a CR-V from 2018. Sold it last year. Cut my losses.

The car is OKish (it is not great at all) but is extremely expensive to run and maintain. Wouldn't mind if it was expensive and a great car, fun to drive etc. But it's not.

So we bought a Toyota Fortuna instead. Far far better car - more fun, and more economical to run and maintain.

Speaking from my experience, I would steer clear of the Honda CR-V.

J

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, JRG23 said:

Speaking from experience. I owned a CR-V from 2018. Sold it last year. Cut my losses.

The car is OKish (it is not great at all) but is extremely expensive to run and maintain. Wouldn't mind if it was expensive and a great car, fun to drive etc. But it's not.

So we bought a Toyota Fortuna instead. Far far better car - more fun, and more economical to run and maintain.

Speaking from my experience, I would steer clear of the Honda CR-V.

J

Why was it expensive to maintain? Surely it was on warranty for the time you had it, so other that putting fuel in it what other expenses were there?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, newnative said:

Our experience has been just the opposite with our CR-V.  We rented a Fortuner and felt it was like riding in a truck--and too big and bulky.  We are quite pleased with the CR-V.  The ride is great, very good on the highway, and we like its size--not too big or too small.  The 3rd row of seats has come in handy a few times and we like that we can haul quite a bit of stuff when we go antique shopping.  Haven't had any mechanical problems, just regular servicing.  

I concur. The crv is a much more comfortable ride than the fortuner. I have the diesel version. Just got 19.2km/l driving from Ratchaburi to Bkk tonight. I don't drive like a granny either. I wouldn't but the petrol version as its much heavier on fuel. The fortuner and it ilk ar best for driving in rough areas/offroad and need to carr a lot of stuff. 

• Like 1

why are there so many new cars driving around in a country that has a lot of poorly paid people.  I can never get my head around that. Out local shop keeper, whose clothes look 100 years old, as does he,  drives around in a 5 series BMW??? 

The CRV was designed from the ground up, not based on a Truck like the MU3 and Fortuna. Over the years it turned out to be a good all-rounder. I had a TRD Fortuna for about 9 months and was as pleased to sell it as the Buyer was to have it. I bought top CRV AWD Diesel at Christmas and as DavisH says it sips fuel  easy to get 20 kml.

19 hours ago, newnative said:

The taxes are ridiculous.  In 2018 my partner and I paid about 1.5MB for an AWD model--about $46,000 USA dollars.  In USA, we could likely have bought the same model for around $25,000.  In America, that same $46,000 we spent could have gotten us into an Audi Q5.  And, not much negotiation on price allowed here.

What relevance does the USD have in Thailand ?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The reality is that while many posters think all Thai people are poor because their only exposure to Thai’s is meeting farm-girls in a bar, there is actually a large and growing middle class of Thai’s with expendable income. 

That plus loan terms over 7 years.

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The reality is that while many posters think all Thai people are poor because their only exposure to Thai’s is meeting farm-girls in a bar, there is actually a large and growing middle class of Thai’s with expendable income. 

Spot on Comment. Something else Ferangs do thats stupid to me is bleat on about poor Thais as if there is no homeless/ poor in their own Country. Neither i suspect even bring the subject up back home.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, pineapple01 said:

Spot on Comment. Something else Ferangs do thats stupid to me is bleat on about poor Thais as if there is no homeless/ poor in their own Country. Neither i suspect even bring the subject up back home.

most of them are just sour because they found out the sick buffalo they had been paying for was not real.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, giddyup said:

Why was it expensive to maintain? Surely it was on warranty for the time you had it, so other that putting fuel in it what other expenses were there?

Service is not wholly 'free' at Honda. They tell you it is but you still have to pay for the majority, and for the CR-V it is expensive. 

7 hours ago, pineapple01 said:

The CRV was designed from the ground up, not based on a Truck like the MU3 and Fortuna. Over the years it turned out to be a good all-rounder. I had a TRD Fortuna for about 9 months and was as pleased to sell it as the Buyer was to have it. I bought top CRV AWD Diesel at Christmas and as DavisH says it sips fuel  easy to get 20 kml.

My wife can manage 21-22km/l. She always does better than me, regardless of what cars we drive ???? On the highway run it does better than out suzuki swift eco, and roughly the same around town (swift may have a slight edge). 

1 minute ago, DavisH said:

My wife can manage 21-22km/l. She always does better than me, regardless of what cars we drive ???? On the highway run it does better than out suzuki swift eco, and roughly the same around town (swift may have a slight edge). 

62MPG is damn impressive, wish my old clunker got even half that !

3 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

62MPG is damn impressive, wish my old clunker got even half that !

The gearing helps a lot. Get it over 130km/h to get it into top gear. It will cruise along at 1500rpm. To get 19km/h my speed varied quite a bit, with short bursts up to about 140km/h. Generally 110-120km/h. Slower will get me better mileage, and stoppign at lights or slow traffic does not hurt it that much.