Bones of their A$$...

DDBKK

I am sure lots of people have reasons why they don't return "back home". And I am also sure many of these reasons are not for the public. Maybe an arrest warrant, outstanding payments to the bank, the ex, the children, little chance to get a job which makes money, stress with the family back home, and and and.

And like others mentioned above: Going "home", finding somewhere to live, finding a job, paying for everything before that fist paycheck, cost a lot of money.

I.e. if I would want to go home without money I would probably have to stay with my 80+ old parents and hope they feed me. Then I would have to take the bus to the city and try to get a job, and I would need warm clothes for that cold climate, and and and. That doesn't sound like something I would want to do. Luckily I have work in Thailand. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Everybody has their own circumstances. I chose to live in Thailand rather hand to mouth each month by renting out my house in the UK as my only income so I could live with my wife. Course when the guy I was renting out to , turned out to be a drug fueled unemployed hippie that falsified all his documents it fell apart and I had to return for a year to redo my house up (yes it took that long as he wrecked it and I only had universal credit). Now, I have a good tenant (one that I worked with previously and know his work ethic), an early 55 year old pension and a nice lump sum for emergencies and whereas previously I did not meet a lot of the financial requirement before, I do now.

I worried that the 39,000 baht a monthly income was not enough to live on with my wife and kid back then, that the rest of the farang world in Pattaya had much more income than us. but we lived pretty much OK. Ate well, always paid the bills and had happy life with each other which was really all we wanted. My wife was an ex-teacher and not a demanding bar girl which helped enormously !

Since returning to Pattaya I found out that the 39,000 we used to live on was quite higher than what a lot of my friends actually have now. I know Frenchmen living on 30,000 a month, men from Australia living on 32,000 and others just on UK state pension which I guess is a little less than 30k.

Their reason for living and staying in Thailand is pretty much they have nothing back in their own country to go back for - no family, no jobs (too old) and no house other than a box on the street. A beach ion the sun, is a better option for most old people than a cardboard house in the snow.

Course that said they were mostly daft enough to spend all their money in the sweetie shop.

Given your information about those foreigners with no intention of going back since they have got nothing to go back to, can you blame the Thai authorities for their stringent requirements for long stay ? Given that those old foreigners ended up destitute when their medical problems catches up with them? They are barely existing as it is.

• Sad 2

9 hours ago, DDBKK said:

I take it your user name is supposed to be ironic then....

There are people in Thailand with very low pensions, but they get by. They won't survive financially in their home country and might not even have a place to stay. Maybe no family and they don't want to sleep on the couch in the home of a friend. They don't have that many options. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Not everyone comes from the UK !!

Thousands of pensioners in the UK die every winter through cold related illnesses because they cannot afford to heat their home, they find themselves with a choice of eating or heating their home.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Thousands of pensioners in the UK die every winter through cold related illnesses because they cannot afford to heat their home, they find themselves with a choice of eating or heating their home.

And zero relevance to someone on the bones off their a$$ in Thailand !!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, Enoon said:

For OP:

"what they think motivates them to remain close to/actually destitute in Asia?"

They can do no other than be the people they are, and follow their own trajectory........just as you can do no other.

There are as many reasons why a person may be not be the person you are as there are people in the world.

Everyone is compelled to run the race in their own way.

Not everyone finishes the race.

feeling sad that 

One may win many sprints against the Reaper, but he always wins the Marathon.

"Enjoy the rest of your day".

I only read the first part of the OP post, then saw your offering, and went back n read the whole thing slowly and carefully. I admit to having a feeling of sadness at seeing the words he wrote and which you kindly quoted. I then had a thought about this attitude and the US at the moment and how many seem to hold a similar attitude and look where it has gotten them and is rapidly getting them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

Not like the truth tropposurfer?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Ctkong said:

Given your information about those foreigners with no intention of going back since they have got nothing to go back to, can you blame the Thai authorities for their stringent requirements for long stay ? Given that those old foreigners ended up destitute when their medical problems catches up with them? They are barely existing as it is.

The "stringent requirement" is 15K baht to an agent - so, yes, to the extent this is even a problem worth worrying about, they are 100% responsible for it.  All they had to do to fix the "problem" is ban agents.  If homeless-bums are roaming about, just pick them up and deport them.  That shouldn't take more than a day's work.

As to foreigners not paying medical bills:  Add 100 Baht to each person upon entry, to cover ALL unpaid-foreigners medical bills (not just retired folks), with 50% of the take left-over to help poorer Thais.  That's based on the last "unpaid foreigner's hospital bill" numbers I saw.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Not long ago there was a fella whose poster name was CanarySun who lived in Pattaya and had a lovely life with 10,000bht/mo. He didn't drink, smoke or hang out with loose women.

Always enjoyed his posts, @canarysun - good idea to avoid loose women too, although finding a tight one in Pattaya is Mission Impossible ????????

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I've always found it a bit weird when people worry about what everyone else is doing.

Live your own life, ignore everyone else outside those living with you.

Maybe they suffering from 'net curtain' syndrome ????

I live very happily in Laos for less than $1,000 USD per month, which covers my house rent (3 beds, garden, 100 metres to the Mekong river), food, drink, expat medical insurance etc. I earn considerably more than that as an online science teacher, and so am able to save $$ each month.

A couple of years ago, I seriously considered returning to live in Europe, such as France.  But quite frankly, I would be worse off in any EU country.  In any case, the 'western world' seems to be going to the dogs! In the case of the UK, it is already like a stinking dog poo ????

• Like 2

Hello.

I know many guys who seem to compete with each other as to what little  they can spend each month, myself I spend enough to live well, but remember what my mum n dad said don't spend it all save a little, I would think that not to many die skint and that there was more money that they could have used but didn't.

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

I live very happily in Laos for less than $1,000 USD per month, which covers my house rent (3 beds, garden, 100 metres to the Mekong river), food, drink, expat medical insurance etc. I earn considerably more than that as an online science teacher, and so am able to save $$ each month.

A couple of years ago, I seriously considered returning to live in Europe, such as France.  But quite frankly, I would be worse off in any EU country.  In any case, the 'western world' seems to be going to the dogs! In the case of the UK, it is already like a stinking dog poo ????

You are coonnnsssiddderrrbly richer than me 

• Like 1

Wasn't there a TV member Parrot or something like that, claimed he lived on what 10K or something like that a month. Would go around bragging about it.

I'm sure there are hundreds of reasons why or why not!