NO clarity yet how your local IO will handle the application for a 1-year extension when your permission to stay expired

4 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Applying for a new visa outside of Thailand, or converting a visa exempt within Thailand is not really difficult, is it?

did i say it was difficult?  the oldfangled method of visa waiver to apply in country was pretty easy, except for opening the bank account.  thing is, nobody knows nothing yet.  nobody knows what the visa requirements will be, nobody knows when visa waivers will restart, nobody knows if new requirements for visa waivers will be added.

so, yeah, would be nice to avoid going through the process again if not necessary.  would be nice if they made it not necessary.

• Like 2

I did my 1 year extension end of April @ CW (Bangkok), arrived @ 10.00 & left @ 12.00.

I came back 30 days later... no problem at all! The WHOLE process went VERY smoothly, indeed. I collected my extension stamp then I did my 90-day report.. Arrived @ 9.45 left @ 11.00 ;-)

Trouble free!

• Like 2

This is a non-issue.  I extended my permission to stay based on original NonImm OA last week at CW, just as usual.   They did check my health insurance certificate and made me sign a form saying I knew my extension was valid only as long as my health insurance was valid, but otherwise no problem.

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

Applying for a new visa outside of Thailand, or converting a visa exempt within Thailand is not really difficult, is it?

The difficulty of changing visa-type (aka conversion) depends entirely on which office you use.  It is "easy" for a fee of 15K Baht, in Jomtien - a nightmare for many, otherwise.

Same goes for a plain Non-O visa - not available for retirement at all, in many countries now - so can only get the Non-OA, which rigs you into the insurance-scam.

Im about to have a go. My 60 day extension expired 9 June. At that time I thought I was covered by the amnesty but went in to Kalasin IO to ask and clarify what they want in support of application, income method, no Embassy letter (UK). At first I got a cannot, then an ok because of Covid from higher up. Thanks  so what do you need. Confusion ( theirs or mine, not sure) as to whether 2 months prior of 40k a month or 400k in bank for 2 months .. I went away thinking previous 2 months of 40k foreign income and got a bank statement. and letter confirming foreign transfer dates and amount as not clear from statement. Went back to IO to check. Ah no you misunderstood. 2 months is for 400k in the bank. For income method 1 year bank statement showing 40k a month. Also proof of source. That may take a while I said and I haven't been sending at least 40k every month for the last 12, only since beginning of year. Best you do 400k. Well I cannot now, next year can and anyway 2 months now takes me beyond end of amnesty. Ah yes it does. Best go Laos when borders reopen.

Anyway I'm now armed with a letter from my financial planner in UK confirming source. I pick up bank statement tomorrow I hope Need a new letter listing my international transfers in for 12 months. 

I hope by Monday if it's not a holiday I'll be armed with everything to make the application. And ubonjoe has provided me with the relevant police order on 2 or 12 months.  We'll see what they say when actually presented with it! If the answer is a clear cannot I will make sure I know exactly why. But then I will have to leave and who knows when it will be easy to return.???? Wife most unhappy.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Kalasin Jo said:

I hope by Monday if it's not a holiday I'll be armed with everything to make the application. And ubonjoe has provided me with the relevant police order on 2 or 12 months.  We'll see what they say when actually presented with it! If the answer is a clear cannot I will make sure I know exactly why. But then I will have to leave and who knows when it will be easy to return.???? Wife most unhappy.

Reading a previous post, you entered Jan 2020 on a Non Imm O ME, which has now expired.

You therefore need to apply for the Non O before the extension.

No seasoning period for the 40/400K for the Non O.

First time application for an extension 2 x 40K overseas transfers, or 400K for 2 months.

The question is, will they allow you to apply for the Non O whilst on permission of stay from the amnesty.

Please report back as these are the kind of answers @Peter Denis is looking for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Attached below a link to a report of experience at CW when applying for the 1-year extension of stay of a Non Imm O report of which the permission to stay already expired during the Amnesty.

Same as for the Phayao and Roi Et cases, the applicant can apply for the 60-day extension of stay (for reason of visiting his wife) and at the end of the 60-days permission to stay apply for the 1-year extension based on his Non Imm O Visa (allowing him sufficient time to meet the 2-month season requirement of his funds for that 1-year permission to stay)

Attached below a link to another report of experience at CW when applying for the 1-year extension of stay of a Non Imm O report of which the permission to stay already expired during the Amnesty.  The actual application experience is addressed in last 2 paragraphs of his report.

The applicant did apply for the 60-day extension of stay (for reason of visiting his wife) and it was provided from the day of application.  So at the end of the 60-days permission to stay, it was confirmed by IO that he could apply for the 1-year extension based on his Non Imm O Visa (allowing him sufficient time to meet the 2-month season requirement of his funds for that 1-year permission to stay).

13 hours ago, problemfarang said:

thanks. i will check with nothaburi IO coming week, waiting for my new passport

When going to Nonthaburi IO next week, please enquire whether and how they will handle applications for a new Non Imm O Visa or a 1-year extension of your present Non Imm O Visa, when your current permission to stay already expired during the Amnesty.

All reports on specific IO experience would be useful to share.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Fab5BKK said:

I did my 1 year extension end of April @ CW (Bangkok), arrived @ 10.00 & left @ 12.00.

I came back 30 days later... no problem at all! The WHOLE process went VERY smoothly, indeed. I collected my extension stamp then I did my 90-day report.. Arrived @ 9.45 left @ 11.00 ????

13 hours ago, JTXR said:

This is a non-issue.  I extended my permission to stay based on original NonImm OA last week at CW, just as usual.   They did check my health insurance certificate and made me sign a form saying I knew my extension was valid only as long as my health insurance was valid, but otherwise no problem.

@Fab5BKK and @JTXR and @DJ54 > The point is whether your permission to stay had already expired, when applying for the 1-year extension of stay.  If you applied before your permission to stay expired, it is simple Business as Usual.

But do let us know if your successful application was done AFTER your permission to stay had expired already.

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Like 2

On 7/8/2020 at 12:06 PM, worgeordie said:

I did my 1 year extension at beginning of May,the offices were open,

so why not do it,while they were not so busy,have also been doing 

my 90 day reports, another one due next week,will try online first,

if that not working ,just do it by post,don't want to leave anything

to chance.I can just imagine the chaos at IO ,when the amnesty

ends, it's bad enough after ,say a 3 day holiday.

regards worgeordie

Totally agree, ideal time to visit immigration for 1 year extension while quiet, using the amnesty as a reason not to, is only asking for problems !

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Im about to have a go. My 60 day extension expired 9 June. At that time I thought I was covered by the amnesty but went in to Kalasin IO to ask and clarify what they want in support of application, income method, no Embassy letter (UK). At first I got a cannot, then an ok because of Covid from higher up. Thanks  so what do you need. Confusion ( theirs or mine, not sure) as to whether 2 months prior of 40k a month or 400k in bank for 2 months .. I went away thinking previous 2 months of 40k foreign income and got a bank statement. and letter confirming foreign transfer dates and amount as not clear from statement. Went back to IO to check. Ah no you misunderstood. 2 months is for 400k in the bank. For income method 1 year bank statement showing 40k a month. Also proof of source. That may take a while I said and I haven't been sending at least 40k every month for the last 12, only since beginning of year. Best you do 400k. Well I cannot now, next year can and anyway 2 months now takes me beyond end of amnesty. Ah yes it does. Best go Laos when borders reopen.

Anyway I'm now armed with a letter from my financial planner in UK confirming source. I pick up bank statement tomorrow I hope Need a new letter listing my international transfers in for 12 months. 

Hope it works out for you. Otherwise, you'd have to wait for news on a possible amnesty extension. Don't expect to be allowed to enter any neighboring country anytime soon. The rules are likely to be as complicated (possibly more so for some countries) than to re-enter Thailand.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

would be nice if somewhere in the process they remember there are quite a few foreigners on marriage/retirement extension stuck outside the kingdom.

maybe offer them an "amnesty" program to return within a certain time frame, allow use of the expired re-entry permit, and allow renewal of the expired extensions......

Quite.  I have a neighbour who left Thailand in early March to stay in his condo in Spain for 3 weeks with his Thai gf.  They are both still there.  She has her name down for a repatriation flight, doesn't have any idea when it may be and isn't looking forward to 2 weeks stir.  He's thinking that if his retirement extension and consequently his multi re-entry expire (December) before he can get back here without having to pay for quarantine and get all the paperwork, he might as well stay in Spain until a return is more feasible. He's lucky in that he's not got accommodation to pay for and his cost of living is not much different to here. The only downside is have to go through the "o" visa and extension from scratch.  I pity folks that are still in hotels etc. - must be costing a fortune.

• Like 1

As an afterthought, I understand that some, if not all, banks need to make sure you are legally entitled to stay in the country before you can open an account, i.e. you have a valid passport with all the right visas etc.  Assuming your retirement extension and the "o" visa it stems from have lapsed, is it still possible to operate your Thai bank account? 

1 hour ago, phetchy said:

As an afterthought, I understand that some, if not all, banks need to make sure you are legally entitled to stay in the country before you can open an account, i.e. you have a valid passport with all the right visas etc.  Assuming your retirement extension and the "o" visa it stems from have lapsed, is it still possible to operate your Thai bank account? 

Yes but the staff may not know about the amnesty.

I'm preparing for my 1 year extension and was down at the bank a while ago.  The lady noticed the stamp and pointed out that it was expired so i explained about the amnesty and she didnt understand what i meant so she went and made a call and then came back and said "no problem". 

Edited by Okis
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Okis said:

Yes but the staff may not know about the amnesty.

I'm preparing for my 1 year extension and was down at the bank a while ago.  The lady noticed the stamp and pointed out that it was expired so i explained about the amnesty and she didnt understand what i meant so she went and made a call and then came back and said "no problem". 

Less of a problem if you can call in to the bank and have a face to face chat.  I was thinking more of those in the same boat as my mate, who are overseas somewhere and may need to use the bank for something more involved.  I guess though the banks will cut some slack when they are made aware of the circumstances.

regards worgeordie

just did mine last week via an agent>
if your looking at getting an extension on your own, ( have the Baht in the bank or deposits to show)  OR using a agent

Zero reason to wait

• Like 1

4 hours ago, phetchy said:

no problem internal bank matters.  i can log onto bangkok bank online from china, move cash between accounts, buy and sell mutual funds.  i just can't get any money out!  that requires an OPC code sent to the thai phone number registered with my accounts.  a phone number no longer in service, the sim card in a drawer in the bangkok apartment.  changing the number i believe requires an in-person visit to the branch that maintains the accounts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

changing the number i believe requires an in-person visit to the branch that maintains the accounts.

Not sure that changing a mobile number from a Thai to a Chinese one would be deemed acceptable by Bangkok Bank in any event, if that's what you had in mind doing!

15 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

a phone number no longer in service, the sim card in a drawer in the bangkok apartment. 

Is there anybody that could get your sim card and put it a phone so that they could receive the OTP. Just matter of having them on the phone when it is received.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Is there anybody that could get your sim card and put it a phone so that they could receive the OTP. Just matter of having them on the phone when it is received.

not a chance they'd be able to find the sim card in the apartment!  we packed everything away, covered in plastic dust sheets, left late last summer.  not that finding it would do any good.  normally i pick up a 50 baht card at 7-11 when i arrive and extend for the 2-3 months i'm there, stash in a drawer when i switch to my china sim in case there are numbers or messages stored thereon i may want later.  that true card expired long ago, the number likely already reissued.

we're good for now.  i swifted a couple thousand dollahs from my credit union to the next door neighbor to handle everything until we return - planning on next summer.  main thing was to get some cash deposited in hunny-bunny's accounts to pay her monthly bupa and social insurance for the next 8-10 months.  we left enough in the insurance savings accounts to cover the time we'd be gone plus a few months.  they draw from accounts at different banks.  i can sell some of her bond funds to recharge one, but we can't move funds between banks.

hunny-bunny has her eyes on a piece of land in her hometown.  if flights start up again, she may fly back (i expect i won't be allowed by then) around xmas for the purchase.  in that case, we can swift cash from her bank of china directly to one of her accounts at home.  untouched by foreign fingers.

Edited by ChouDoufu

On 7/9/2020 at 6:56 AM, Tanoshi said:

Reading a previous post, you entered Jan 2020 on a Non Imm O ME, which has now expired.

You therefore need to apply for the Non O before the extension.

No seasoning period for the 40/400K for the Non O.

First time application for an extension 2 x 40K overseas transfers, or 400K for 2 months.

The question is, will they allow you to apply for the Non O whilst on permission of stay from the amnesty.

Please report back as these are the kind of answers @Peter Denis is looking for.

Yes. My Savanakhet non O multi by marriage expired a few days after entry. At entry I got 90 days. I then got 60 day extension before that expired as I could see that border closures were imminent and certainly didn't want to get stuck in Laos so I didn't head over to Savanakhet. 

Not much later along came the "amnesty" and I cursed that I'd used the 60 day extension. That expired 9 June. 

I actually intended to leave Thailand on 1 May with my wife and head to France, where I have a home and am actually resident. I only spend around 6 months a year here usually in 2 90 day slots.  So also intended to pop over to Savanakhet for a fresh non O multi for the year.

We still want to get to France  and for me asap now, but I felt that getting a 1 year extension plus a re entry permit before leaving would secure the next 12 months, subject we now know to the currently stringent Thai Covid entry conditions...for both of us! When I leave I won't be coming back on those conditions so I guess I won't be coming back for some time even though my wife may have to after 90 days unless we get her a French longer term residency permit.

So obviously I didn't get to Savanakhet nor did I leave as our flights were cancelled. I thought I was covered by the " amnesty" or whatever it technically is and that surely things would be easier by its end. Now, obviously not. Now also my wife needs a new visa for France which is in hand, appointment next week.

I went in to Kalasin IO on 8 June to clarify what's needed by them to add on a 1 year marriage permission. Plus a further visit when they talked about 1 year bank statement plus proof of source. It's now been a further month on getting that together. 

So @Tanoshi you think I've wasted my  ( considerabl amount now) time on this and if I visit the IO on Monday I should ask for an in country issued non O as if since 10 June I've been here visa exempt by way of the "amnesty"?

What's needed for that?

And if they play ball on that then apply for a 1 year marriage extension before the 90 days is up with either adequate proof of 40k a month for 2 months or 400k in the bank for 2 months.

Well I can't whisk up 400k until next year, so would be income, no problem as long as they accept the letter I have about it's source and and which do now show as foreign transfers.

But I do not want to be here for another 3 months, actually at least 4 months allowing for the under consideration period for the extension. I need to get back to France where things need some attention after  6 months away! And in 5 may be 6 months would be considering return to Thailand in the normal course ie next year. Well who knows where things will be by then these days.

So my question still remains, after that long commentary: is it worth going in to the Kalasin IO ith what I now have and formally applying for a 1 year extension by marriage, income based, or should I pull the plug on that and just leave as soon as we can get a flight out ( once my wife has her new visa  which I am confident she will after emails from the French Embassy).

I must say I'm not confident of success with Kalasin IO but I have a tendency once I've invested time and effort either to be a dog with a bone....or for flogging dead horses ( take your pick!).

Any further thoughts?

regards worgeordie

EXACTLY !    I have been doing everything same as the last 50 years (well, slight exaggeration) and

no problems.   Retirement...Non O ...... 800 k in bank.     These requirements have barely changed over

many many years.    Even marriage extensions can be done ( in CM, which is one of the toughest).

I recently did my retirement extension in June.  Why would i not ?

Complications exist for other types of extensions which have been discussed on this Forum endlessly

with all different experiences from members.   If you want hassle free (almost)........... it has been that way for me and others using retirement/ 800 k in bank.  Otherwise , as the saying goes, your experience may not go as planned.  Everyone here knows the arguments and complaints of those that want or need to try the other options .    

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

So my question still remains, after that long commentary: is it worth going in to the Kalasin IO ith what I now have and formally applying for a 1 year extension by marriage, income based, or should I pull the plug on that and just leave as soon as we can get a flight out ( once my wife has her new visa  which I am confident she will after emails from the French Embassy).

I must say I'm not confident of success with Kalasin IO but I have a tendency once I've invested time and effort either to be a dog with a bone....or for flogging dead horses ( take your pick!).

Any further thoughts?

Agent ?

8 hours ago, rumak said:

Agent ?

possible but not up here in the sticks where  I am obliged to apply locally because it's a marriage extension being asked for. Would need to be Bangkok or Pattaya and retirement extension I believe.

We have been caught by totally unforeseen circumstances. I was doing nothing illegal, just what suited best my come and go needs.

It seems a very long time ago, and chaotic change almost daily had not yet begun when we took a holiday on Phuket at the end of February. Still plenty of tourists of all nationalities, many families. Busy but not teeming is how I saw it.

By mid March things were starting to look more serious.

Then world wide panic broke out towards the end of March, Europe was consumed by Covid, borders tight shut, home confinement for 2 months for most there. Did I want to return? No! Could I return? Not at all easy. Life here in the sticks went on much as before  for me here. Much more attractive!

But now perhaps is the time to go rather than fight probably unsuccessfully or if not expensively with Immigration here, especially as  I do now need to go.. 

Not so long ago I thought that things would have eased by now here. They are just getting tougher. Perhaps rightly as I think Covid has far from finished with the human race.

11 hours ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Yes. My Savanakhet non O multi by marriage expired a few days after entry. At entry I got 90 days. I then got 60 day extension before that expired as I could see that border closures were imminent and certainly didn't want to get stuck in Laos so I didn't head over to Savanakhet. 

Not much later along came the "amnesty" and I cursed that I'd used the 60 day extension. That expired 9 June. 

I actually intended to leave Thailand on 1 May with my wife and head to France, where I have a home and am actually resident. I only spend around 6 months a year here usually in 2 90 day slots.  So also intended to pop over to Savanakhet for a fresh non O multi for the year.

We still want to get to France  and for me asap now, but I felt that getting a 1 year extension plus a re entry permit before leaving would secure the next 12 months, subject we now know to the currently stringent Thai Covid entry conditions...for both of us! When I leave I won't be coming back on those conditions so I guess I won't be coming back for some time even though my wife may have to after 90 days unless we get her a French longer term residency permit.

So obviously I didn't get to Savanakhet nor did I leave as our flights were cancelled. I thought I was covered by the " amnesty" or whatever it technically is and that surely things would be easier by its end. Now, obviously not. Now also my wife needs a new visa for France which is in hand, appointment next week.

I went in to Kalasin IO on 8 June to clarify what's needed by them to add on a 1 year marriage permission. Plus a further visit when they talked about 1 year bank statement plus proof of source. It's now been a further month on getting that together. 

So @Tanoshi you think I've wasted my  ( considerabl amount now) time on this and if I visit the IO on Monday I should ask for an in country issued non O as if since 10 June I've been here visa exempt by way of the "amnesty"?

What's needed for that?

And if they play ball on that then apply for a 1 year marriage extension before the 90 days is up with either adequate proof of 40k a month for 2 months or 400k in the bank for 2 months.

Well I can't whisk up 400k until next year, so would be income, no problem as long as they accept the letter I have about it's source and and which do now show as foreign transfers.

But I do not want to be here for another 3 months, actually at least 4 months allowing for the under consideration period for the extension. I need to get back to France where things need some attention after  6 months away! And in 5 may be 6 months would be considering return to Thailand in the normal course ie next year. Well who knows where things will be by then these days.

Any further thoughts?

i think it worth so much to do 1 year extension. Many reasons, but i will write 2 best: do you really think its good idea to go to europe these days? And if the IO said you can extend it, just do it. you have nothing to lose but many plus. 

I will try this week based on salary too, but probably cannot because my visa expired and i dont think nonthaburi IO is ok with that. So you are lucky, go for it. I dont even know why you are thinking about it. lol

Edited by problemfarang

7 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

i think it worth so much to do 1 year extension. Many reasons, but i will write 2 best: do you really think its good idea to go to europe these days? And if the IO said you can extend it, just do it. you have nothing to lose but many plus. 

I will try this week based on salary too, but probably cannot because my visa expired and i dont think nonthaburi IO is ok with that. So you are lucky, go for it. I dont even know why you are thinking about it. lol

@Kalasin Jo

The problem is that the 90-day permission to stay of his 1-year ME Non Imm O marriage Visa, already expired, and that he also already used the 60-day extension based on that Visa.

So he needs to rely on the goodwill of his local IO whether they will accept his application for the 1-year extension of stay, now that he is on the Amnesty.

Some IOs will not do that, their reasoning being that he did 'choose' for the Amnesty (and therefor accepted that he needed to leave the country once it was over) instead of applying for the extension when his permission to stay was still valid.

He should enquire at his local IO about his options.  And obviously if they do allow him to apply for the 1-year extension of stay, he would also need to meet the 2 month seasoning-requirements of his funds on a thai personal bank-account which are part of the requirements for a 1-year extension of stay application.

If everything fails and he cannot or doesn't want to leave Thailand, there is still the 'last resort' option of engaging a Fixer Agent and apply for a 1-year extension for reason of retirement (the marriage extension requires divisional approval and is hence more difficult and expensive to 'fix').