Emoticons

Trillian

1 hour ago, Bob A Kneale said:

"...can you not do something about these things?"

Yes, they can but no they won't, why should they?   Maybe Thaivisa should introduce a "Supercilious" emoji. 

Funny, at least you helped one person understand what supercilious means.

• Sad 1

So your pompous OP requesting the removal of emojis from the forum because their use upsets your sensitivities was a deliberate waste of time just intended to disparage other members who choose not to engage in your threads? 

If you object to certain member's posts/comments/attitudes so much, just report them.

You didn't get it, did you! The thread was not about objecting to peoples posts and what they had written, it was about the use of emoji's as a proxy for what they could have written! Perhaps try reading the thread again.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Trillian said:

In the original version of Hamlet the word is written as protesteth and has only fairly recently been modernised to protest, even some stage production still use the olde English version.

"In Act III, scene II of Hamlet, the prince's mother dryly utters one of the most famous lines penned by Shakespeare, "Methinks the lady doth protesteth too much."  The phrase has come to mean that one can insist so strongly that something isn't true that people begin to suspect that it is".

https://www.definitions.net/definition/Protesteth#:~:text=Editors Contribution-,Protesteth,cover up a hidden truth.

Actually, the original text is “the lady protests too much, methinks.”  The “doth” is added modern prose...makes it more Olde Englishy.

putting “methinks” at the beginning is another common mistake.

http://shakespeare.mit.edu/hamlet/hamlet.3.2.html

https://www.nosweatshakespeare.com/hamlet-play/text/

https://www.sparknotes.com/nofear/shakespeare/hamlet/page_168/

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, Trillian said:
2 hours ago, Bob A Kneale said:

"...can you not do something about these things?"

Yes, they can but no they won't, why should they?   Maybe Thaivisa should introduce a "Supercilious" emoji. 

Funny, at least you helped one person understand what supercilious means.

It wasn't meant to be funny, it was a very serious suggestion.

53 minutes ago, Trillian said:

So your pompous OP requesting the removal of emojis from the forum because their use upsets your sensitivities was a deliberate waste of time just intended to disparage other members who choose not to engage in your threads? 

If you object to certain member's posts/comments/attitudes so much, just report them.

You didn't get it, did you! The thread was not about objecting to peoples posts and what they had written, it was about the use of emoji's as a proxy for what they could have written! Perhaps try reading the thread again.

Make up your mind!  This is what you posted...

"In truth this is more about a handful of posters that another poster alluded to earlier than about emoticons themselves..".

Seems that it's you who, to use your disparaging words, "doesn't get it"

16 minutes ago, Airalee said:

Actually, the original text is “the lady protests too much, methinks.”  The “doth” is added modern prose...makes it more Olde Englishy.

putting “methinks” at the beginning is another common mistake.

http://shakespeare.mit.edu/hamlet/hamlet.3.2.html

https://www.nosweatshakespeare.com/hamlet-play/text/

https://www.sparknotes.com/nofear/shakespeare/hamlet/page_168/

Jesus...anyone would think that Shakespeare's version of English is considered by some here to be the Queens English and relevant in 2020!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:

"In truth this is more about a handful of posters that another poster alluded to earlier than about emoticons themselves..".

I think those who post well thought out comments get by and large positive emotis. Where as, those who post rems of bs and negative comments get negative emotis. People get tired of some posters having nothing good to say and dump a emoti on them. Why respond to junk?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

welcome to the club. i will make a joke and 35 people will do a laughing face at my comment and my sad/confused troll will be the only one who does not understand the joke. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

welcome to the club. i will make a joke and 35 people will do a laughing face at my comment and my sad/confused troll will be the only one who does not understand the joke. 

The emoli are a way to show agreement or disagreement. There are some people that I often agree with and some that I don't. Its no big thing unless you make it so. 

With high negativity on this board. I'm surprised there are more negative emolis.

13 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

I think those who post well thought out comments get by and large positive emotis. Where as, those who post rems of bs and negative comments get negative emotis. People get tired of some posters having nothing good to say and dump a emoti on them. Why respond to junk?

What is amazing is that some posters actually seem to care what others think about their comments!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

The emoli are a way to show agreement or disagreement. There are some people that I often agree with and some that I don't. Its no big thing unless you make it so. 

With high negativity on this board. I'm surprised there are more negative emolis.

I can give you some if you like, got loads of spares....????

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

I doubt people consciously troll you especially to slap on an emoli. If you post a lot of negative stuff don't expect a lot of thanks or agree emolis. 

If you can't take it don't post it.

What on earth are you on about...? ????

4 hours ago, checkered flag said:

I doubt people consciously troll you especially to slap on an emoli. If you post a lot of negative stuff don't expect a lot of thanks or agree emolis. 

If you can't take it don't post it.

Says the man who gave me 5 emojis only the other day

Edited by faraday

14 hours ago, Bob A Kneale said:

The word "more" does not imply exclusivity, I'm guessing Anglo Saxon English is not your first language!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, faraday said:

^^^

Oh, are we grammar police today, Iona??

????

Do yourself a favour and read Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, it's an excellent book that I'm sure you'll enjoy.

Sorry but I'm not playing with the herd today, yesterday was fun but today I have to do some work, byee. 

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, faraday said:

Says the man who gave me 5 emojis only the other day

The emojis were given because you have no idea of reality and want to dictate what others think. Negative emojis mean people don't agree. You are a very fragile and thin skin if these honest comments bother you.

On the other hand positive emojis suggest agreement with the writer and offer encouragement. 

Always being positive will get you more agreement (emojis).

BTW Whose keeping count of emojis. Are they that important?

2 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

The emojis were given because you have no idea of reality and want to dictate what others think. Negative emojis mean people don't agree. You are a very fragile and thin skin if these honest comments bother you.

On the other hand positive emojis suggest agreement with the writer and offer encouragement. 

Always being positive will get you more agreement (emojis).

BTW Whose keeping count of emojis. Are they that important?

"Always being positive will get you more agreement (emojis).

BTW Whose keeping count of emojis".

It appears you might be!