LINUX vs W10

stouricks

W10 works great on good computers. Linux might work better on more basic computers as it uses less resources. I must say since windows 10 never any problems anymore. But I do have a big strong computer.

• Like 1

It's horses for courses really, I use both Win10 and Kubuntu Linux. Windows on my two work laptops, as the software I use for work doesn't run under Linux, and Linux on two desktops which are used mainly for browsing, listening to music, watching videos and general office work. The wife, children and grandchildren use the desktops for Internet, homework and stuff. Their only complaint used to be about games, though with tablets and mobiles they don't complain anymore.

The amount of times I need to use a terminal is limited, most software can be installed either via the software center/manager or if downloaded via the package manager. The latest Snap and Flatpak apps make things even easier. As for VPN I use NordVPN which doesn't have an easy Linux interface, so I use the browser extension so not really an issue.

Whether you keep Linux is your choice, it was free so you've nothing invested except your time. 

• Like 2

I bought a new computer a few months ago that came with Windows 10 Home OEM version pre-installed.  This operating system was unusable.  I could only install software from the Microsoft Store.  I copied some files from my old laptop and they would disappear after the session.  Even simple personalizations like changing wallpaper weren’t persistent.  The screensaver kicked in after 5 minutes of inactivity, fortunately I found a free mouse move app on the Microsoft Store to suppress it or I couldn’t even watch Netflix.

I bought a used Windows 10 Pro license for 200 baht on eBay but couldn’t install it without Administrator privilege.  Finally, I had enough and was willing to pay the 4100 baht to upgrade the license but couldn’t even do that from the Microsoft store without admin privilege.  What is going on at Microsoft that they won’t accept your money?  Bill Gates would sh*t in his pants!  It’s like the motherboard is forever tied to Windows 10 Home OEM.

I installed Linux Mint as dual boot and doubt I’ll ever use Windows again on this machine.  Furthermore, I think the Cinnamon desktop is much better, simpler and more intuitive than W10, and this used to be Microsoft’s strength.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, camble said:

I bought a new computer a few months ago that came with Windows 10 Home OEM version pre-installed.  This operating system was unusable.  I could only install software from the Microsoft Store.  I copied some files from my old laptop and they would disappear after the session.  Even simple personalizations like changing wallpaper weren’t persistent.  The screensaver kicked in after 5 minutes of inactivity, fortunately I found a free mouse move app on the Microsoft Store to suppress it or I couldn’t even watch Netflix.

I bought a used Windows 10 Pro license for 200 baht on eBay but couldn’t install it without Administrator privilege.  Finally, I had enough and was willing to pay the 4100 baht to upgrade the license but couldn’t even do that from the Microsoft store without admin privilege.  What is going on at Microsoft that they won’t accept your money?  Bill Gates would sh*t in his pants!  It’s like the motherboard is forever tied to Windows 10 Home OEM.

I installed Linux Mint as dual boot and doubt I’ll ever use Windows again on this machine.  Furthermore, I think the Cinnamon desktop is much better, simpler and more intuitive than W10, and this used to be Microsoft’s strength.

Was there something that stopped you from asking for help here, before you embarked on a wild goose chase? Pride or something else?

I took a look. There is no thread started here by you asking for help/advice. 

The solutions are simple. You likely don't have Windows 10 Home OEM, but Windows 10 Home in S mode.

Just take it out of 'S' mode: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4020089/windows-10-in-s-mode-faq

First problem solved.

Second, if you want to use your eBay key to move up to Pro, there is a step that you need to take in between. If you need instruction I can do so via PM.

• Like 2

I habitually use a little "idea pad " as I am in writing this.

I changed from Win 10 as it came installed  with because  with limited memory it was incapable of coping with  some of the original massive updates  to Win 10 even if any other files were removed!

Linux  functions  very well and leaves  enough  memory available for other reasonably file downloads that it could not originally.

On another  machine  with  great capacity I  went  back to Win8 after trying  Win 10  in it's earlier days and found it a  nightmare !

Despite noting that complaints  about Win 10 have become much less for my purposes Win 8 is  good enough for me and  Linux equally so on a small very portable device.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Was there something that stopped you from asking for help here, before you embarked on a wild goose chase? Pride or something else?

I took a look. There is no thread started here by you asking for help/advice. 

The solutions are simple. You likely don't have Windows 10 Home OEM, but Windows 10 Home in S mode.

Just take it out of 'S' mode: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4020089/windows-10-in-s-mode-faq

First problem solved.

Second, if you want to use your eBay key to move up to Pro, there is a step that you need to take in between. If you need instruction I can do so via PM.

I’m very happy with Linux Mint.  ????   I can use my old laptop if I need anything Windows specific

Just now, Dumbastheycome said:

I habitually use a little "idea pad " as I am in writing this.

I changed from Win 10 as it came installed  with because  with limited memory it was incapable of coping with  some of the original massive updates  to Win 10 even if any other files were removed!

Linux  functions  very well and leaves  enough  memory available for other reasonably file downloads that it could not originally.

On another  machine  with  great capacity I  went  back to Win8 after trying  Win 10  in it's earlier days and found it a  nightmare !

Despite noting that complaints  about Win 10 have become much less for my purposes Win 8 is  good enough for me and  Linux equally so on a small very portable device.

Windows 10 is the same. The problem you suffered was an early issue to do with Windows 10 and the way it delivered feature updates.

Clean install it now and you won't have the problems you had before with space and updates.

Now a clean installation reserves the space for features updates by default. Also they have changed the way feature updates are delivered.

Remember that the Windows 10 interface is also affected by your choices on install. You should avoid choosing an Express install or allowing Microsoft to coerce you into signing in with a Microsoft account.

Just now, camble said:

I’m very happy with Linux Mint.  ????   I can use my old laptop if I need anything Windows specific

Now I see why you didn't ask for help. Stubborn. ???? 

You can put Linux Mint on your old computer and use your new one in the way it was intended.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

You can put Linux Mint on your old computer and use your new one in the way it was intended.

Hardware has an expectation?

????

Edited by Stocky
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Hardware has an expectation?

????

Yes. It will have Drivers specially designed to work with the hardware. He will also get to use Windows 10 in the way it was intended. Otherwise, what is the point of having dual boot??

Just wipe the drive and replace it with Linux Mint. If you are going to have it on a dual boot basis, fix it instead of complaining about it.

• Like 1

Driver support and optimization -> much better on windows there is no contest (Yeah go ahead and find me some drivers for the asus pce-ac88, the fastest  wifi adapter available on the market, I'll wait).  You will find the generic drivers for the chipset but the card will barely touch 10% of the speed it is capable of - Good luck with the troubleshooting )

Much larger application pool -> Windows (don't get me started on games support)

Much better overall application quality - Windows ,no contest.

Easier to use....  Windows

Security  - I see a lot of people saying Linux (insert distro here) is secure and Windows is not. Haahahahaha (click me while you laugh) Then why do I compare the number of exploits found on Linux vs the ones on Windows and Linux has much more? Also as someone was talking earlier about linux mint ... back in 2016 they had a backdoor in their ISOs. Much security.

Unless you use some really old hardware , do some dev work / technical student or you are REALLY cheap I fail to see the advantages of linux considering a win licence can be had for as little as 10 bucks from the grey market. Yeah I am going to save a fortune just so I bother with the above. Nahhh. If  you are a 15-20 year old I guess you can start having fun but I've grown up and want simpler things in life that work out of the box.

Never ever will free things be better than paid ones just like you won't find free sandwiches out there.  I just suddenly remembered LibreOffice and the horrors I face with  that FREE junk (and a special thai company where I worked in that still used that )

Edited by anon7854
  • Like 2

My machine(s) are at Linux Counter 3406 since 1993-10-23, they are feeling well and I am feeling even better. The first thing I always remove from a new member of my computer family is from Redmond. And no - I am not missing that stuff. Thank you for your time and bandwidth.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, anon7854 said:

Driver support and optimization -> much better on windows there is no contest (Yeah go ahead and find me some drivers for the asus pce-ac88, the fastest  wifi adapter available on the market, I'll wait).  You will find the generic drivers for the chipset but the card will barely touch 10% of the speed it is capable of - Good luck with the troubleshooting )

Security  - I see a lot of people saying Linux (insert distro here) is secure and Windows is not. Haahahahaha (click me while you laugh) Then why do I compare the number of exploits found on Linux vs the ones on Windows and Linux has much more? Also as someone was talking earlier about linux mint ... back in 2016 they had a backdoor in their ISOs. Much security.

Unless you use some really old hardware , do some dev work / technical student or you are REALLY cheap I fail to see the advantages of linux considering a win licence can be had for as little as 10 bucks from the grey market. Yeah I am going to save a fortune just so I bother with the above. Nahhh. If  you are a 15-20 year old I guess you can start having fun but I've grown up and want simpler things in life that work out of the box.

Never ever will free things be better than paid ones just like you won't find free sandwiches out there.  I just suddenly remembered LibreOffice and the horrors I face with  that FREE junk (and a special thai company where I worked in that still used that )

Using Linux as the only operating system for more than 10 years I can confirm everything in this post.

I can argue a bit about security but I'm too lazy to describe details and tech ppl out there know everything about it already.

I started this thread, so I can say that I have reverted back to W10, took me 2 hours to do a clean install plus all my app & updates. Linux Mint is now in the bin. No comparison with how easy W10 is to use, how fast, far better. Bye bye Linux.

15 hours ago, anon7854 said:

I'm writing this from a Fedora 32 Linux desktop. I've been using Linux desktops for many years, but I've done a lot of Linux server and security work since 1993-94. The Linux desktops are not yet on par with Win10, but have gone a long way. My current laptop is the newest Lenovo Legion with Ryzen 4xxx and Nvidia 1650, and everything was working instantly.

I'm not a gamer or use heavy graphics programs,  and in a way the Linux desktop is way better for me as I can get very easily abundance of tools and compilers. I use LibreOffice regularly and never had issues with it.

Still I need a Win desktop from time to time,  e.g can't update my Suunto watches software without a Windows desktop.

For me, Linux is a state of mind and a way of life, not just a desktop OS.

6 hours ago, gearbox said:

Still I need a Win desktop from time to time,  e.g can't update my Suunto watches software without a Windows desktop.

Virtual machine + USB passthrough?