What do you wish you had known before you moved to Thailand

IvGeg

7 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Last but not least HEALTH INSURANCE, if your employer provides you with it, all and good, just makes sure it's not with an international insurer, if they don't provide you with it, just get it, doesn't matter the cost, you cannot afford to go without here, trust me.

Few guys mentioned about the insurance. Can you please explain what is the dieters between international and local? It is also important as one comrade mentioned about not to drive motorbikes. I heard many stories about tourists are coming and decide to learn in Thailand or other se Asian countries because it is such a common thing and it won't take long for them to crash. I also saw a girl in Thailand next day after NY with broken skull and scars on her face at the hospital when I went to a dentist. But I have a motorbike license in my home country and use it as my daily commuter. Plus I ride bikes in Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand and Malaysia. Vietnam is the worst. But in general everyone knows that it is not the safest transport, no decent helmet, protection etc. Probably you just have to take it easy and don't ride like locals with only a soup bawl on your head as a protection. Please add your comments. Maybe I miss something?

5 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Shower often, be calm, not be angry small thing.

Welcome to Thailand. Land of smiles.

You will love it!!! Is very popular.

9. Don't believe what 1 Thai says. 

You will find out that there are many Thais with different opinions about everything. 

• Haha 1

1. That you can't take a walk or go jogging at night without meeting angry dogs

2. That it's so difficult to get a job or open up a business

3. That I don't like Thai food and cheese is so expensiv

4. That it's so complicated to stay longer especially if you younger

5. That I only a guest no matter what

6. That racism is a big issue 

7. That you can't own property

8. That you have to pay for your nose

9. That speaking english means nothing

10. That many older falangs are alcoholics, very unhappy, complaining and many have serious mental health issues 

Even if I had knew all these things before it wouldn't had an affect on my decision to move here. I love it and exploring new things every day is still an adventure. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Honesty is a great value. 

Not pretending that paying a lady, for intimicy, is less worse in a certain case, than in another. 

The choice of the lady, or the choice of the place, has nothing to do with values. 

Or are you the kind of :

"Yes I pay prostitutes, but I not go to brothels, I have values". 

As I said, we have different values and see things different. A freelancer have a choice to choose and make the approach. In most  Brothels, beer bars, gogo's they do not have that choice, and get picked like cherries by anyone. As I said I can argue about how you see things. 

2 hours ago, IvGeg said:

So I don't want to find myself in a difficult situation. Because of that I decided to ask more experienced comrades and don't be so naive at first. Thank you for your replies. I appreciate any advices and thoughts.

Some time ago I was having a beer with two friends sitting outside our usual bar. We all go there for years and I guess for tourists it's obvious that we are not new to Thailand.

A stranger came to us and told us he wasn't in Thailand for years and if we have some (insider) info for him where to go, etc. We all were happy to share our experience. I think he bought us a beer or two and everybody was happy.

I think if I would go to an unknown place that is what I would do now. You can look at the people and choose who you ask. And obviously you can do something like that in a few different places with different people. Maybe not all of them will tell you only the truth but I am sure it's a good way to get fast up to date.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, stouricks said:

Good morning Yinn. I totally disagree, in my case anyway. My 11 years with an ex-sex worker has been wonderful, got a lovely step-daughter & son, built a house near her family. NEVER has anyone of them asked for money. Life is very easy, relaxed and relatively cheap. 

Good morning. 

We disagree. I recommend dating.

But you happy. You win. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

I don't know how easy it is for a Thai to accept that a Farang can have a perfectly acceptable relationship with someone who worked in a bar. 

I know is sensitive issue some member TVF. 

But..

I will not make freinds with foreigner (or Thai) who girlfreind/wife sexworker. 

Or sexworker. 

I think your country same. You invite sex worker/customer be your freind, invite party with your Your sister/mother have sex worker freinds?

Is not comfortable situation. Cringe.

Sorry. My opinion. And most Thai opinion. Especially South people. 

Uncomfortable truth.

The OP want advice. That my advice. Will have better life with normal real girlfreind.

Many thread about “Not have real freind Thai man”. This the big reason.

Edited by Yinn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Because Thai people is freindly.

You are guest. Is Thai manners/culture for make guest feel welcome. 

“Chern ka”

Grengjai.

Enjoy you stay, have a good time. 

Is not because you are “farang”. Is because you guest. (if you farang we know you guest, so we good behavior)

189335DD-F7C0-4D3D-AA74-01182FC7BF5C.jpeg

Really?

Then tell my why the average black guy or Indian guy is treated differently?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Tagged said:

As I said, we have different values and see things different. A freelancer have a choice to choose and make the approach. In most  Brothels, beer bars, gogo's they do not have that choice, and get picked like cherries by anyone. As I said I can argue about how you see things. 

Fair enough,

You pay prostitutes, you just don't like the name.

I did also, the important for me was the lady herself, not where she was doing her business.

I knew freelancers who were more popular than any lady working in a beer-bar, Go-go...

But that's a long time ago; I am happily married for 20 years, and faithful.

3 hours ago, IvGeg said:

Not now. In 1.5 year if everything is fine. But I rather start to prepare earlier, than it will be too late. 

That's a good way always plan early IMHO.

If you use the 1 & 1/2 years or so to come here and use the holiday time not as a holiday use the time just like you are living here.

Rent somewhere to live where you may be located by your company not a Hotel I think would be best. 

Lastly let your head rule situations and don't full in love.

Remember thai's have 6 smile. Even you don't want see many of them often , learn them!

Thai's cossip really much! If you live in small village all know your "secret" in next day.

Like OneMoreFarang said service is good (to me anyway) but what i think about that is:

i give much more value to them coz they get more profit . I use more money. 

Here is same than any other place in world, can't have relationship whitout money. Even i never had use prostitutes, man always pay way or other.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

Because Thai people is freindly.

You are guest. Is Thai manners/culture for make guest feel welcome. 

“Chern ka”

Grengjai.

Enjoy you stay, have a good time. 

Is not because you are “farang”. Is because you guest. (if you farang we know you guest, so we good behavior)

189335DD-F7C0-4D3D-AA74-01182FC7BF5C.jpeg

Oooooo...will the one on the right go eat noodles with me????   555  Yindee tee dai rujak Krup!!!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, northsouthdevide said:

I wish I had brought more tea bags with me ???? 

THIS...a lesson learned for me...I always come with my old nappy backpack and my laptop--carry on only

Last visit id say a 1/3rd of my pack was TEA....as Im a tea junkie...customs in china shook me down as they thought I had drugs..was loose chinese tea.....U falang! u drink whisky--beer!  eat cheeseburger and pizza!!!

Only asian people drink tea!!!! Was a giant ziplock with a mix up of all kinds of tea..always bring tea+earplugs!

2 hours ago, IvGeg said:

Few guys mentioned about the insurance. Can you please explain what is the dieters between international and local? It is also important as one comrade mentioned about not to drive motorbikes. I heard many stories about tourists are coming and decide to learn in Thailand or other se Asian countries because it is such a common thing and it won't take long for them to crash. I also saw a girl in Thailand next day after NY with broken skull and scars on her face at the hospital when I went to a dentist. But I have a motorbike license in my home country and use it as my daily commuter. Plus I ride bikes in Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand and Malaysia. Vietnam is the worst. But in general everyone knows that it is not the safest transport, no decent helmet, protection etc. Probably you just have to take it easy and don't ride like locals with only a soup bawl on your head as a protection. Please add your comments. Maybe I miss something?

With regards to health insurance, it is common knowledge that local health providers don't pay up, only talking from what others have said over the years, so sticking with international is best as I have heard that they pay up, subject to everyone being aware of the fine print, that includes reading whether they cover you from riding a motorbike, a very common misunderstanding for tourists who don't read the fine prints on their travel insurance policies.

If you have ridden a motorbike in the above countries you should be fine, I am an experienced rider from teenage years to adulthood and my last bike was a Kawasaki 1100, however I wouldn't ride here unless it's in the village to go to the local shop or drop something off to my wife's family. The reason for this is law enforcement here is not the same as western countries, no booze buses, so people drive/ride under the influence of alcohol/drugs as it's a given they will not get caught and if they end up hitting you, the percentage of them stopping to avoid getting caught is a given so why risk it, also a lot of them don't have insurance, or licenses, so at the end of the day, you are risking your life in their hands, and I don't say that lightly.

But as they say here, "up to you" ????

Hope this answers your questions, if you have anymore, just ask as getting other people's opinions is always good before making a decision.

Edited by 4MyEgo