What do you wish you had known before you moved to Thailand

IvGeg

Just now, luckyluke said:

When people really mean 99%, what should they write ?

You can usually tell whether they really mean 99 % by the context of their post .

I.E , 99% of people voted for Prayrut = literal 

99% of people dont like Prayrut = an opinion 

2 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

You can usually tell whether they really mean 99 % by the context of their post .

Literal is easy to verify.

An opinion isn't,

I think it would be better to write = "According to me, 99% of people don't like Prayut"

No equivocal.

21 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Only Yinn can let us know what she wanted to express when she wrote :

"99% Thai people will think you idiot if do that."

She know  it is 99%

or

According to her it is 99%.

Don’t over think it. 

People grossly exaggerate all sorts of things to give the impression that everyone thinks like they do and everyone else is an idiot. The numbers, as in this case are meaningless drivel. 

Of course it’s nothing like the truth. Probably 3/4 mates who of course are gonna be like minded, that’s why you hang round together. 

You also need to bear in mind that this is an anonymous forum. People can say all of things to try and influence their own agenda.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

That's only because they threw most of the other votes away, then disbarred the opposition from ever running again.

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

That's only because they threw most of the other votes away, then disbarred the opposition from ever running again.

I was just giving an example of how percentages can be used , 

It was just a hypothetical example and had no basis in any actual facts 

18 hours ago, Yinn said:

Not say they “bad”

Yes. 

They have a job that is not sex worker right.

Is different, sure. There monthly income is from sex work. 

You say before your wife is sex worker. If not sex worker you will not say that right? You will say “bank worker” or what the job. 

I not worry. But is popular topic TVF. 

The OP want advice. Other guy talk about sex worker, I say IMO is not good idea. 

Is not comfortable situation.

eg in Australia you social with sex worker. You take sex worker your new year work party, with your boss?

To your mother and dad house?

Go your freinds wedding? 

What they think? 

If OP want make thai freinds better not have. Social isolation.

They think same Yinn, sure. Thankyou be honest your speaking, I be honest same. 

Most people “look down” on sex worker. I am polite, so not say the bad thing.

Sex worker word is most polite. Thai men say very rude way about sex workers.  English same. Maybe every language.

Is true. I think you know same. I think every country most think same way. 

Can not change that. You know. 

Not good 4YourEgo. 

Good luck to OP. Remember what I say. 

Good luck 4MyEgo return Australia November. Forget what I say.

Yinn 

POTY

ps. Welcome TVF. 

We very stranger people. Everyone crazy a little bit.

So when you take your ex-sex worker to a family party, tell them all she was a bus driver, a chef or even an hotel receptionist, little white lies.

And that now she is with you for...............the money and the sex!    PML

• Haha 1

the traffic here is dangerous even if it has actually improved a whole lot,

theres no telling if you are going get cut off next split second,

there is not a whole lot to do about it beside a, drive slower so it dont hurt so much,

or b, drive a car, but plan b means more waiting in the traffic jam and harder to find a parking slot. mark my words, right of way is a concept entirely lost here,

or ever invented 

Edited by scammed

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

Same democrazy!

thailand not have democracy, have democrazy.

Then take a look at the EU, there's riots everyday. 

Capitalism and social welfare don't go together well, you know. 

And now the EU is completely helpless and return to deficit spending. I'm quite sure the Germans (in the richest EU country) will riot again, against the Southern and Eastern Europeans. 

Be glad that the Bangkokians don't riot against Lanna or Issan people. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I wish I had known that it was a very bad idea to marry one. Renting was so much more enjoyable in the long run. Marital bliss lasted only a year till she convinced me moving in with her family was a good idea. It wasn't.

Why it was not a good idea? 

11 minutes ago, Elkski said:

yinn,  do you think you can look at any woman and tell if she was a prostitute?  or so you need to listen to her talk.  I cant believe this.  

I just assume every woman is a prostitute and they all are after my baht! 555

I do know one lady I have been out and about with a few times that only started P4P when she lost her job because of government shutdown of businesses (she says) 

No tattoos, never dresses like ladies at Soi Buakhao bars, etc...  I do not know her "work" history other than the few things she has told me, yet it does not bother me in the least what her history might be.  I like her and like spending time with her, that is good enough for me

Back to the OP.  I knew all I needed to know before I came to Thailand.  It's all good man

4 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

I just assume every woman is a prostitute and they all are after my baht! 555

I do know one lady I have been out and about with a few times that only started P4P when she lost her job because of government shutdown of businesses (she says) 

No tattoos, never dresses like ladies at Soi Buakhao bars, etc...  I do not know her "work" history other than the few things she has told me, yet it does not bother me in the least what her history might be.  I like her and like spending time with her, that is good enough for me

Back to the OP.  I knew all I needed to know before I came to Thailand.  It's all good man

https://www.stickmanbangkok.com/readers-submissions/2009/11/the-rosetta-stone-of-womens-behavior/

This is a good article, and it is based on empirical research in the UK. 

As a cultural anthropologist I was aware of this. I was also aware of the situation of single mums in Pattaya. There's only one solution to it : work, and don't care what the neighbours say. 

On 7/22/2020 at 8:40 AM, micmichd said:

If you were German and take your Thai lady to Germany, it wouldn't make any difference at all. 

For Germans ALL Thai ladies are sex workers. 

I know a Thai-German couple here in Pattaya. The Thai lady has worked as a stewardess at German Lufthansa and now gets her pension from German pension funds. Still she is bashed in Germany as a Thai "prostitute" 

To my own lady who worked in a Thai restaurant in Europe the same happened. 

And it's mostly Farang women that bash Thai ladies - old Farang women full of mare bitterness. 

Yinn is lucky, she obviously never was in Europe. 

Agree wholeheartedly.  My Isaan wife feels prejudice whenever she goes outside her village with me.  Thai people think she must have worked as a bar girl—to have a farang husband.  She never did (we met online). No wonder she prefers to live in her village with me.

10 hours ago, micmichd said:

https://www.stickmanbangkok.com/readers-submissions/2009/11/the-rosetta-stone-of-womens-behavior/

This is a good article, and it is based on empirical research in the UK. 

As a cultural anthropologist I was aware of this. I was also aware of the situation of single mums in Pattaya. There's only one solution to it : work, and don't care what the neighbours say. 

Every man should read this article

Guys, can you please share some information about Non immigration Type B visa. If there will be 4 thai per each foreigner in the company is it still necessary to get out of the country every 90 days or I can just submit the information about my status on-line ? Cheers

On 7/23/2020 at 9:04 AM, Isaan sailor said:

Agree wholeheartedly.  My Isaan wife feels prejudice whenever she goes outside her village with me.  Thai people think she must have worked as a bar girl—to have a farang husband.  She never did (we met online). No wonder she prefers to live in her village with me.

Why would anyone Thai assume that your wife was a hooker? i am certain none of the people we mix with think my  wife was a sex worker ,many of her friends are quite well to do, our neighbours are not poor and my wife is friends with them ,she is quite well spoken and nicely dressed ,she has worked in property and for her family in Bangkok where we originally met , the same when we lived in the UK no one even mentioned anything like that .

by the way as long as a couple are happy ,who cares if she was a sex worker in another life?

• Like 2

On 7/23/2020 at 8:29 AM, Elkski said:

yinn,  do you think you can look at any woman and tell if she was a prostitute?  or so you need to listen to her talk.  I cant believe this.  

I do think that its possible .

You can usually tell by the way they interact with people

25 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Horrid family only wanted my money. Harassed her till she became mean to me about it and that was the end.

I once thought so, too. 

But the family only wanted a reasonable part of my money, and they fed me and guaranteed for me when my money didn't get here for two months. 

Thais obviously know very well what reciprocity means. 

5 minutes ago, micmichd said:

I once thought so, too. 

But the family only wanted a reasonable part of my money, and they fed me and guaranteed for me when my money didn't get here for two months. 

Thais obviously know very well what reciprocity means. 

Very nice of them not to let you starve to death 

15 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Very nice of them not to let you starve to death 

Yes, my problem is not Thais. 

My problem is German alimony-scrounging women who would rather see me dead than in Thailand. Even although I was never married in their <deleted>hole country. 

I should have known how far mare-bitterness in the West can go. 

Edited by micmichd