Country’s biggest fish market to open yearend

snoop1130

Country’s biggest fish market to open yearend

By THE NATION

800_cdd65238dced388.png

Thailand’s first central fish market, overlooking the sea in Chonburi’s Ang Sila sub-district, will open its doors in December.

The project, kick-started in 2017, aimed to transform the existing fish market and help turn the port into Thailand’s top fish bazaar.

Fish Marketing Organisation director Montien Innoi said the construction is continuing as planned, despite there being some changes to the blueprint.

The market will meet international standards and will be promoted as a top seafood market as well as a new attraction in Chonburi.

He added that there was space for more than 300 shops as well as spots for fishermen to anchor their boats and sell their catch.

Full Story: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30391609

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-07-20

5 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:
5 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The market will meet international standards and will be promoted as a top seafood market as well as a new

Chub of attractions .? 

5 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Fish Marketing Organisation director Montien Innoi said the construction is continuing as planned, despite there being some changes to the

Bluefin .. not carping on but is this not a bit of breaming .. they plaice skate expections Jon dory the tourist coming mack-erel but it could yet flounder so should mullet it over again or they might end up getting Bombay ducked .. 

'Chub of attractions' - that's the key to it all.

OMC - Oh My Cod! I'll be on the bike to get over there. Well, the motorsickle and sidecarp anyway.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, OneZero said:

Chonburi’s Ang Sila sub-district:  Is this in the City of Chonburi, or somewhere else closer to Pattaya?

A bit before you get into Chonburi city - turn left of Suk coming from Pattaya. Signposted from memory. 

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

He added that there was space for more than 300 shops as well as spots for fishermen to anchor their boats and sell their catch.

I guessing the picture is not representative of the future market. I don't see 300 shops opening up in that small space.

21 hours ago, OneZero said:

Chonburi’s Ang Sila sub-district:  Is this in the City of Chonburi, or somewhere else closer to Pattaya?

Last time I went still a pain to get to (and from) from Pattaya as had to go via market areas of Chonburi City.

This market is about 50kms north of Pattaya (measured from Mini-Siam and using the #3 Suk highway).
https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Ang+Sila+Sea+Food+Market/@13.152127,100.9643569,11.46z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x311d4b1acef18ce1:0x6c0048066418e158!8m2!3d13.3353918!4d100.9245943?hl=en
Pretty straight-forward route coming from the south. Take the Suk into Chon Buri city, turn left at the Mercedes dealership (onto "highway" 3134) and then turn left again when you get to the water (you have to go left anyways). Getting back is just the opposite.

However, that's a long way to go for the same stuff you can get at the Lan Pho market in Na Kluea/Naklua. 300 shops isn't going to translate into hugely cheaper prices than what the same things are selling for here.

Parking may be an issue as well. I suspect a lot of available parking will be taken up by the vendors themselves with their trucks full of those big plastic tanks they use to transport their products to/from the markets (just like the parking area behind the Lan Pho market).

Still, for the people in Chon Buri itself it will be a boon. Maybe won't screw up traffic in the area too much, too often. 

I really like Ang Sila, the old market had its charm, some selling from their boats and the seafood was great and reasonably priced - large prawns for 260 a kilo, freshly cooked while you wait and absolutely delicious. The market has temporarily relocated just opposite the pier whilst the construction of the new market has been going on. Very close to Bang Saen beach. Not many farangs around there.

The main road through Ang Sila has dozens of stalls selling pestle and mortar sets of all sizes and is the 'go to' place for them.

Ang.jpg

19 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

This market is about 50kms north of Pattaya (measured from Mini-Siam and using the #3 Suk highway).
https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Ang+Sila+Sea+Food+Market/@13.152127,100.9643569,11.46z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x311d4b1acef18ce1:0x6c0048066418e158!8m2!3d13.3353918!4d100.9245943?hl=en
Pretty straight-forward route coming from the south. Take the Suk into Chon Buri city, turn left at the Mercedes dealership (onto "highway" 3134) and then turn left again when you get to the water (you have to go left anyways). Getting back is just the opposite.

However, that's a long way to go for the same stuff you can get at the Lan Pho market in Na Kluea/Naklua. 300 shops isn't going to translate into hugely cheaper prices than what the same things are selling for here.

Parking may be an issue as well. I suspect a lot of available parking will be taken up by the vendors themselves with their trucks full of those big plastic tanks they use to transport their products to/from the markets (just like the parking area behind the Lan Pho market).

Still, for the people in Chon Buri itself it will be a boon. Maybe won't screw up traffic in the area too much, too often. 

re the parking there is a quite large car park adjacent to the pier, I;ve never had a problem parking there. Most of the customers are Thais going about their business and are in and out quite quickly.

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

Oh Barry. 

Yinn never eat seafood from Gulf of Thailand.

West coast is clean, no problem.

Seawater samples were collected from 24 stations at Ang Sila, Bangsaen, Wonnapha Beach, Sri Racha, Pattaya, Jomtien, Mae Rampueng Beach, Kon-Auw and Lam-Maepim to check the water quality during February to September 1994. Some bacterial strains occuring in the seawater were quantified: coliforms, fecal coliform, Vibrio parahaemolyticus, Streptococcus and Staphylococcus. Most stations were heavily polluted by the bacteria especially Ang Sila, Bangsaen, Wonnapha Beach, Sri Racha and Pattaya. The highest number of the total coliforms detected was 2.4*10**(3) MPN/100 ml at Sri Racha in July and at Pattaya in September, In August Vibrio parahaemolyticus appeared in much higher number at Ang Sila, Bangsaen, Wonnapha Beach, and Jomtien than it appeared in other months. Staphylococcus appeared in quite a high number from time to time. Streptococcus un coastal seawater usually occurred in a lower number and could not detect in some stations. Anyway, there was quite a high number of Streptococcus in marine aquaculture area.

That 25 year ago. Now more population, more tourist, more chemi, more factorys etc 

What you think Barry? Yuk.

link 

https://agris.fao.org/agris-search/search.do?recordID=TH2002003841

What I think is I've written something positive about Thailand and you've written something negative. This is a first ????

• Haha 1

Yinn does have a point, but should be more related to swimming, especially during the rainy season. Her info is dated from 25 years ago, so not really sure on all that, but I can say I used to be a project manager secondary contractor for building medium to very large factory, and I would never want any seafood caught from Baen Saen area down to say Laem Chabang area near the coastal part. Swimming = No Way! Now go out past Kho Pai and then more south ok. Down where Yinn is Maptaput. There are so many chemical factory in there it is gross. Never had so many eye and headaches in my life travelling through and working in that area. Anyway can't live forever and seafood is great when fresh.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2020 at 11:35 AM, AgMech Cowboy said:

I guessing the picture is not representative of the future market. I don't see 300 shops opening up in that small space.

If you add push cart and motocyc with sidecar sellers plenty of room, mind you no room for Mr and Mrs to park and shop but TIT and who cares anyway as long as I can sell my Tom yum soup. I can just see all the prospective sellers looking at the above photo and working out which spot they would like

21 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Down where Yinn is Maptaput. There are so many chemical factory in there it is gross.

I live RaNong. South Thailand.

Not RaYong.

Ranong cleanest in thailand, least people, most rain, 80% is forest.

Rayong is chemical factory place. 

22 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Yinn does have a point, but should be more related to swimming, especially during the rainy season. Her info is dated from 25 years ago, so not really sure on all that, but I can say I used to be a project manager secondary contractor for building medium to very large factory, and I would never want any seafood caught from Baen Saen area down to say Laem Chabang area near the coastal part. Swimming = No Way! Now go out past Kho Pai and then more south ok. Down where Yinn is Maptaput. There are so many chemical factory in there it is gross. Never had so many eye and headaches in my life travelling through and working in that area. Anyway can't live forever and seafood is great when fresh.

Ranong near Map Tha Put? You sure?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Yinn said:

I live RaNong. South Thailand.

Not RaYong.

Ranong cleanest in thailand, least people, most rain, 80% is forest.

Rayong is chemical factory place. 

Oh, dear. I surely got that wrong. Good for you. Yes you are right. Rayong is a chemical sewer if you ask me. Now I am not scared that you have glowing in the dark worms.

Ranong. Home of the farmed soft shell crab. 

6 hours ago, bangsaenguy said:

Ranong near Map Tha Put? You sure?

I was already corrected by Yinn. For some reason my brain was seeing Rayong for her. Now I don't worry for her as she is in clean Ranong. But I am glad that people read my posts enough to correct me. Thank you.