Video: Two Thai trash collectors have a miracle escape after crash in Chonburi

webfact

Video: Two Thai trash collectors have a miracle escape after crash in Chonburi

6pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Police in the Samet district of Chonburi were called after a pick-up smashed into the back of a local municipality dust cart. 

Two workers at the scene - Montree and Ms Jarae - had a close brush with death. 

Montree credited the bin he was wheeling out as deflecting the impact and Jarae who fell out of the back of the truck said the pick-up stopped just in time otherwise she was toast.

Both were thoroughly shaken but otherwise unhurt. 

The accident happened in Soi 14, Mitrasamphan Road, Muang district. 

Octogenarian Surasak, 83, was behind the wheel of the pick-up - he had facial injuries. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-07-21

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, webfact said:

and Jarae who fell out of the back of the truck said the pick-up stopped just in time otherwise she was toast.

yes but note the ute wasn't going anywhere after it struck the truck.

Only the truck moved after that...

if the truck had not moved,

then the garbo would have had a soft landing on the remains of the ute lid

- excepting that Jarae might then instead have had her throat cut on the jagged wedges of the remains of the lid

The driver was 83. Reminds me of when I was living in Bangkok and an elderly driver came out of the house opposite and drove right through the front wall of my yard. Ten seconds earlier I had been standing there and just avoided being buried under a pile of rubble. Is there no age limit for driving in Thailand? In my native UK you have to take a test every three years after you turn 70.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, Tarteso said:

Another one idiot driving while checking Line, FB, or looking how the fly flies, who knows what kind of liquid in his grai matters have his brain. 

Btw... Lucky guys!

You might be right but one wouldn't expect it of an old guy, perhaps trying to answer a phone and looking elswhere. Seen a lot of peoiple on motorbikes who seem to think that is good driving sense.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

You might be right but one wouldn't expect it of an old guy, perhaps trying to answer a phone and looking elswhere. Seen a lot of peoiple on motorbikes who seem to think that is good driving sense.

Right but, I live in small mountain village...you can imagine the numbers of old farmers, sitting in the corner bar, with their “kao lao” in one hand and their Samsung Galaxy in the other one, looking the last silly news giving “likes”, or touching their GPS Screen while trying to understand how it works while driving their cars, the old veggie vendors in the market checking videos like OP's on their  FB accounts .. Times has changed.????

Edited by Tarteso

14 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Life really is a lottery in Thailand.

All made possible by the lack of a police force in Chonburi; the 2nd most dangerous province in the 2nd most dangerous country in the world.  Speed kills yet there is NO attempt by Plod to curb this in the shape of cameras or leaving out the bandit stops for one day  a week.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The driver was 83. Reminds me of when I was living in Bangkok and an elderly driver came out of the house opposite and drove right through the front wall of my yard. Ten seconds earlier I had been standing there and just avoided being buried under a pile of rubble. Is there no age limit for driving in Thailand? In my native UK you have to take a test every three years after you turn 70.

To retake a driving test, one must obtain a drivers licence first :shock1:

That sort of stuffs up that idea here in Thailand

• Haha 2

On 7/21/2020 at 5:50 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

But first you have to have driving license!!!!!!!!!!!

On 7/21/2020 at 11:50 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

not correct, after the age of 70 you have to renew your license every 3 years and declare you are fit and healthy to drive.

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/travel-hobbies/driving/

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Bob A Kneale said:

Cameras are used in Thailand!

Selectively.  I watch in horror as four drivers per change run red lights; clowns drive at 120 along Suk, slowing only when they near the bandit stop a the Ambassador, where ten cops idle away their day.

On 7/21/2020 at 11:55 AM, Tarteso said:

Another one idiot driving while checking Line, FB,

Are you suggesting the current trend of octogenarians driving whilst face-timing and line messaging is causing more fatalities than covid perhaps?

2 hours ago, MJKT2014 said:

Are you suggesting the current trend of octogenarians driving whilst face-timing and line messaging is causing more fatalities than covid perhaps?

If you try to separate the text, it might end up with another meaning and I'm obviously "Generalizing".  At 83, it's clear that this old man can't get an FB account, but maybe ... A fly flying over his nose distracted his attention.  I drive a few kilometers every day and cross this country for years, I have seen accidents and deaths.  and "Generally", the Thai way of driving is unacceptable.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mikebell said:
23 hours ago, Bob A Kneale said:

Cameras are used in Thailand!

Selectively.  I watch in horror as four drivers per change run red lights; clowns drive at 120 along Suk, slowing only when they near the bandit stop a the Ambassador, where ten cops idle away their day.

Cameras are used "selectively" in every country, not just Thailand.