Khaosod report - Amnesty extended to Sept 26 (Cabinet approved)

Is this legit?  Just came out vis KhaosodEnglish.

The Cabinet on Tuesday said it extended the amnesty for foreigners’ stay in Thailand amid the global coronavirus outbreak for a second time. 

The automatic extension of stay in the Kingdom, which was to expire on July 31, is now renewed until Sep. 26, according to government spokeswoman Traisuree Taisaranakul. 

The mandatory 90-day reporting for foreigners residing in Thailand is also suspended, she said.

I know it has to be published in the Gazette to become fully legal, but can we rely on this report that the Cabinet approved the extension today? 

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2020/07/21/new-round-of-visa-extension-amnesty-approved/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Awesome. I was preparing for a 3-hour drive tomorrow (Weds morning) to CW for my 90-day.  This is my first report so I can't do it online, and I'm currently in Hua Hin.  If the report is true, I can cancel that drive which I REALLY did not want to do.  I'm on a 1-year Non-O extension for marriage, so I guess it applies to me.

• Like 1

Thai media are quoting a government spokesperson that the visa amnesty is being extended to 26 September. However, please note this is NOT an official announcement & that government spokespeople have been inaccurate in the past. Best to wait for the cabinet minutes to be released

2 minutes ago, AndyPa said:

Will be interesting to see if its an extension of the amnesty or a grace period.

Yes, this is the key detail. Seems like more of the same. Will be interesting to see if there are new visa options over the next 8 weeks, or if that'll come in a later "grace" following Sept 26th. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Nothing.

Click on the English flag and reload it.

But if you go through this page you will only get the summary of the summary of the Thai version in English with a delay.

If you use this link: https://www.thaigov.go.th/news/contents/index/1176 (click on the Thai flag and reload if you see an empty page) you will get the complete Thai summary of the cabinet meetings. But the meeting today isn't available yet.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

hmmm good for the few thousands stuck here BUT

read between the lines< Bad for the millions that depend on tourism..

Thailand will not be opening to new tourists for another 2 months so forget about Phuket, Samui, Pattaya making any kind of a recovery>;-(

sad days for anyone involved in the tourism industry.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I keep wondering why its the 26th of September, why not all of the month?

Also its a Saturday... Could be connected with some planned, shorter grace period...

Or maybe its connected with border crossing opening at some point?

• Like 2