China says UK citizenship pathway for Hong Kong residents violates international law

webfact

21 minutes ago, natway09 said:

The problem with  the UK taking all these folks from HK is they will get a lot of undesirables 

define "alot". and while you're at it, what are the criteria you're using to define an "undesirable".

Edited by galenflagler
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, natway09 said:

The problem with  the UK taking all these folks from HK is they will get a lot of undesirables 

The problem for Brexiteers in the UK is "foreigners".

That's why they voted for Brexit.

Now 3,000,0000 "culturally dissimilars" are on their way in.

Three cheers for Boris.

Edited by Enoon
  • Confused 2

"The move "severely violated (Britain's) own commitments, seriously interfered with the internal affairs of China and seriously violated international law and the basic norms of international relations," it said."

The lowest manipulative bar girl has better ethics than the highest Chinese official

The handwriting has been on the wall for some time: China has been building up Shanghai as alternative to Hong Kong, which has served it's purpose and now can be tossed aside

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Three cheers for Boris.

That's okay.  He'll settle them in Scotland, where they'll all vote to remain in the UK.

1 hour ago, Enoon said:

Three cheers for Boris.

Two problems with the party system are that people can't get what they want on the agenda and you can't pick the PM. British people were always against mass immigration. A poll taken after Enoch Powell's "Rivers of blood" speech found that the vast majority of British people agreed with him. They didn't get what they wanted. 

Edited by nemo38
are
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

British Interior Minister Priti Patel said on Wednesday that Hong Kong people with British National Overseas visas would be able to apply for citizenship starting from January 2021.

Which is perfectly legal.

• Thanks 1

Since when does totalitarian China care about international law it flouts shamelessly.  What about annexing the South China Sea despite a ruling by an international law institution? How about the scandalous treatment of Uighurs in Xinjiang, akin to the infamous Nazis konzentrazionslager? Among others....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, natway09 said:

Rubbish. Hongkongers are richer than Brits, and well-educated.

GDP per capita:

Hong Kong $48675

UK $42943

12 minutes ago, nkg said:

Rubbish. Hongkongers are richer than Brits, and well-educated.

GDP per capita:

Hong Kong $48675

UK $42943

I've got no problem citizens of Hong Kong emigrating to UK. But those figures of yours are seriously misleading. Better to look at the median wage.

Hong Kong US$12600US

UK US$37560

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, nkg said:

That's strange, I don't see anybody in this thread complaining about the decision. Not even "Brexiteers".

In fact, you are the only person to mention Brexit at all.

The reason is the difference between Hong Kongese and the other types of immigrants UK gets are that the Hong Kongese are smart, rich and share our values they will contribute something.

The reason China is butthurt is because they know this also many of the rich Hong Kongese own factories which would help UK to bypass the CCP which is great news for the British people.

Edited by misterjames
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, galenflagler said:

I've got no problem citizens of Hong Kong emigrating to UK. But those figures of yours are seriously misleading. Better to look at the median wage.

Hong Kong US$12600US

UK US$37560

I am always happy to be corrected, but in this case I think your own numbers must be faulty.

2018 - median HK household income $27000 HKD/month ($3483 USD)

https://www.statista.com/statistics/962649/hong-kong-median-monthly-household-income/

2020 - average individual wage (not household) $16955 HKD/month ($2187 USD)

https://tradingeconomics.com/hong-kong/wages

Perhaps you could post the link to your own statistic? Your numbers are not even close to the other sites that I have looked at.

Just now, nkg said:

I agree, people from HK could make a great contribution to UK society if they choose to come.

I have contact with some friends in HK that own factories and from what I'm hearing it looks like they are very keen on the idea of moving to United Kingdom.

The British people will welcome the Hong Kongese with open arms because they are exactly the type of immigrants we need.

You see the British people are not racist we are just tired of being used and abused by a certain type of immigrant.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, robblok said:

I don't get what China worries about they lose the people they want to suppress and can fill the space with brainwashed mainlanders. 

I don't really see the problem, only problem is that they might lose a lot of rich and able people. But then they should have treated them better.

It’s about control! From their point of view these people are Chinese and therefore they have to do what the big wigs on the main land say, no matter what, and how dare they to rebel against the big wigs and make them lose face?! 

Isn’t it funny how China is so worried about laws being broken, but they don’t give one flying .... about how many laws they break? 

I've said it before and I'll say it again, we need a worldwide embargo on China! Show them who’s really the boss! 

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, misterjames said:

I have contact with some friends in HK that own factories and from what I'm hearing it looks like they are very keen on the idea of moving to United Kingdom.

The British people will welcome the Hong Kongese with open arms because they are exactly the type of immigrants we need.

You see the British people are not racist we are just tired of being used and abused by a certain type of immigrant.

really?

Coronavirus fears fuel racism and hostility, say British-Chinese

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/01/coronavirus-weaponised-way-to-be-openly-racist

Ethnic Chinese are the most common victims of racism in the UK according to a YouGov poll

https://newseu.cgtn.com/news/2020-06-29/Ethnic-Chinese-most-common-victims-of-racism-in-UK-according-to-poll-RHnkdR3fVu/index.html

How East Asians in the UK are fighting back against a rising tide of racism

https://www.scmp.com/magazines/post-magazine/long-reads/article/3086438/how-east-asians-uk-are-fighting-back-against

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, nemo38 said:

China should be smart and encourage angry HK residents to leave. They will cause internal strife in their enemy countries, including the UK, where people are already angry about having immigrants forced on them. HK people can easily be replaced with grateful mainlanders.

It is farcical that the UK claims to care about the freedom of a foreign people when they just arrested a 12 year old boy for the made up crime of "racism". In the UK, like other western nations, you lose your job for saying men can't be women or going against any of the rest of the forced narrartives.

Hong Kong people have a good life and they have more freedom than people in the UK. If they end up moving to the UK they will soon realise their mistake.

People in the west don't seem to care that the leaders of this HK uprising, where they set fire to old men and trashed malls, were all meeting with US state department people - all out in the open. If China had encouraged British nationalists to go out and riot we would never hear the end of it.

"...and they have more freedom than people in the UK."

This wasn't true even before the new legislation introduced by the PRC. Now that it's on - pure nonsense.

• Like 2