Thailand drops charges against Red Bull heir in deadly hit-and-run

webfact

6 hours ago, Thechook said:

Absolutely disgusting.  Corruption is alive and bigger than ever in Thailand.  This is like defecating on the victims grave.  You kill someone you should face court no matter who you are.

Kinda like OJ Simpson in the US of A. Didn't he get away with murder because of his wealth?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Do something, anything, concrete about it,

not only words on a forum behind an anonymous nickname,

and I will review my opinion.

I did and do nothing, I accept the unchangeable.

Call me a coward or whatever.

Sure is, I am not a keyboard warrior.

I do. I condemn it. it's very easy to do and it's very easy to explain why.

And when enough people condemn something, whether passively or actively, it can really make a difference.

Kind of like how some people don't smoke weed 'cos they think it's bad. You ask why they think it's bad and they have no answer. They just think it's bad simply 'cos they've been told that. Now, let's apply that principle to vehicular manslaughter or paying to get off with a serious crime. You condemn this beahviour and let people know it's bad. More people will take the stance it's bad and not do it (or certainly try hard to not get caught or condemn others for it). And when enough people think like this, it doesn't even matter if they know why it's bad. It's becomes the norm. 

Can you see where I'm going with this. You know how attitudes can change and all that jazz? 

2 hours ago, luckyluke said:

Not sure,

but nobody concerned in the sponsoring will dare to comment, afraid of the possibility of repercussions. 

The one Yinn mentioned are sponsored by the European owner of the Red Bull brand and yes they should have reacted a long time ago to tell the public about the little A hole in Thailand.

• Sad 1

Since the day this happened it's been blatantly obvious that no one ever had any inclination to seek justice for this officer and family. There were so many opportunities to bring the perpetrator into custody, right up to when he finally left Thailand. Justice does not get served where money rules.....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Geoffggi said:

Only one question - WHY..??? The Thai government should hang it's head in shame, I really do hope other countries see and appreciate how stratocracy runs this country.

For want of a better advice, look out the window maybe? This is Thailand F F S. Then read how Thailand's social and political culture doesn't really feature on the radar of a whole lot of more sophisticated and developed nations states. They already know who's wearing the pants here but thanks for bringing a fresh word to the perpetual lament of "Why can't Thailand be more like home?".

6 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Sadly typical Thailand. Money is more important than justice and what is right. Just like years ago a certain person killed a policeman in front of numerous witnesses and the charges were dropped.

A stint in the temple and he was a government minister.

If i was Thai I would be absolutely ashamed and embarrassed that this continually goes on and people just accept it. A very sad day in Thai history.

Chalerm's son, yes. But don't forget there is Mafia in most of our home countries too. Ronnie Kray walked into a pub and shot someone with the same number of witnesses who saw nothing. Al Capone and Tony Soprano also did the same in the US of A.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

But it's not about us with open minds that are unburdened by holding conventional notions in an unconventional setting is it?

If me condemning it makes no difference, you have no need to worry. It's my choice to waste my time on something you don't care about. 

6 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Or is it?

Or is what? 

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Kinda like OJ Simpson in the US of A. Didn't he get away with murder because of his wealth?

He got out of it due to <deleted> poor police work. At least he was arrested and went to trial! Would never happen here.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

I do. I condemn it. it's very easy to do and it's very easy to explain why.

And when enough people condemn something, whether passively or actively, it can really make a difference.

Kind of like how some people don't smoke weed 'cos they think it's bad. You ask why they think it's bad and they have no answer. They just think it's bad simply 'cos they've been told that. Now, let's apply that principle to vehicular manslaughter or paying to get off with a serious crime. You condemn this beahviour and let people know it's bad. More people will take the stance it's bad and not do it (or certainly try hard to not get caught or condemn others for it). And when enough people think like this, it doesn't even matter if they know why it's bad. It's becomes the norm. 

Can you see where I'm going with this. You know how attitudes can change and all that jazz? 

If you're young, I say go for it but I will probably be pushing up daisies by the time you get bored with tilting at Thai windmills.

1 minute ago, rkidlad said:

No, I can't.

I only read a lot of words.

Come back when you have concrete results.

However I am convinced there is practical no chance I will experienced it as I am already 72.

• Sad 1

How many here would do the same if their son/daughter developed an illness like alcoholism and killed someone while driving?

To be honest, if I were a billionaire, I would pay to get my child off, rather than spend life in a Thai jail. 

Can anyone honestly say they wouldn't? 

• Like 1

Just now, NanLaew said:

If you're young, I say go for it but I will probably be pushing up daisies by the time you get bored with tilting at Thai windmills.

Very insightful, NanLaew.

Now, how about you do you and I'll do me. 

1 minute ago, luckyluke said:

No, I can't.

I only read a lot of words.

Come back when you have concrete results.

However I am convinced there is practical no chance I will experienced it as I am already 72.

If you don't understand the simple adage of 'attitudes change', then there's not really much I can say to help you. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

If me condemning it makes no difference, you have no need to worry. It's my choice to waste my time on something you don't care about.

Cool. And those of us who subscribe to the futility of trying to change it all are free to waste our time posting as such.

6 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Or is what?

Your stated concern for us "wasting our time" while you waste yours.

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

How many here would do the same if their son/daughter developed an illness like alcoholism and killed someone while driving?

To be honest, if I were a billionaire, I would pay to get my child off, rather than spend life in a Thai jail. 

Can anyone honestly say they wouldn't? 

it shouldn't matter what people would do to save their children from facing justice for their crimes. It shouldn't be up to the parents. It should be up to the justice system. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

How the other half (or 1%) live !

If he had been some poor peasant farmer, this would never have happened.

I wonder how the family of the deceased feel about this strange decision ?

Happy, as they have received a handsome compensation. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, rkidlad said:
6 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Very insightful, NanLaew.

Now, how about you do you and I'll do me. 

OK Don, it's a deal.

No reason to drop charges after all these years. He's guilty forever. He deserves jail for life after all he has done to waste the time and resources of the nation and to ruin its image. I know, just dreaming. Thailand makes its own image as it did with this dropping of charges. Bangkok, the snake head of Thailand, is guilty forever of corruption and pathetic leadership by those with power and authority. May the gods wash Bangkok into the sea.

I must post a quote from another case (the Nonthaburi Immigration Officers case):

"Police General Chakthip Chaijinda the Commissioner-General of the Royal Thai Police has always made sure that police work must be done with fairness to the people according to the law. The people must be able to rely on the police and officials must not act like thieves by using their power in the wrong way." 

Edited by Rotweiler

2 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

it shouldn't matter what people would do to save their children from facing justice for their crimes. It shouldn't be up to the parents. It should be up to the justice system. 

Do you have children? What would you do?