What procedures to take, my car won't be used for 6 or so months

Hi my dear friends, as the subject, what steps need to be taken? 

I don't have someone to run the car while it's not being used. 

IT will be stored under the roof. 

Below are some ideas I've gathered from the net. 

1.pull the battery cables

2.fill the gas tank to the full

3.wd40 the brake pads

4.wax and car cover

5.change all the oil 

Is there something else to be cautious of? 

I'm a bit concerned about the cv joints not being greased up.

Is there ways to grease this area? 

I don't know much about cars or just about everything

So pls kindly advice without too much technicals. 

Cheerios

Assuming the car is shaded from the sun and rain then 6 months is no big deal.

Disconnect battery and handbrake off is all I would do.

No need to spray WD40 - especially not on the brakes!  The tyres will have flat-spots when you return, but will smooth-out after a 10km drive on a hot road.

In the car trade in UK you will find many cars that sit for 6 months or more between owners.  Brake disc corrosion is the main concern but seldom a problem in Thailand if the car is sheltered.

• Like 1

As mentioned earlier mice can be a problem in Thailand. They chew some stuff under the bonnet in my car last time costing me 3000 baht. Now I got a cat so mice are no longer an issue.

I would say that if you have someone you can trust, that you can leave with a set of keys,  who can run the car once a month, check the oil and tyres and keep the oil circulating, then that is by far the best idea. 

• Like 1

If you leave the car only under roof but an open place, is not a  bad idea to spread some rats repellent. the box engine is the preferred place for snake nests and the preferred cables for rat food.

F123D145-9EDC-4346-AA2D-150BF290A8E2.jpeg

63F87BCA-04EF-47EE-B99F-7CEE0512FF29.jpeg

Rust on your discs don't give any problem, after a few times braking the rust is gone.

The only thing that matters is that the car is not by the sea.

Salt air is disastrous for a long time.

Edited by Peterphuket

When I used to be able to travel before the China virus, I left my car unused for 6 months on several occasions with no problems, just parked under a carport.

I remove the battery and connect it to a battery maintainer (not just a charger), put Sta-Bil in the fuel tank, and inflate the tyres to 40psi or so. Never noticed flat spots in the tyres, and rust on the brake discs comes off quickly after a few hard stops. Be sure not to use an ethanol blend as fuel, as this can cause separation of the ethanol and petrol, leading to water contamination (the ethanol absorbs water from the atmosphere).

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, jvs said:

Yes very good idea to spray the brakepads with oil,stop them from squeaking .

I would install a drip charger also,after six months not being used here a battery is dead(forever)

No need for a drip charger

Every year I leave my car batteries for 5 to 8 months disconnected 

and they are fully charged when I get back

7 hours ago, Bigz said:

As mentioned earlier mice can be a problem in Thailand. They chew some stuff under the bonnet in my car last time costing me 3000 baht. Now I got a cat so mice are no longer an issue.

God damned mice will make your car smell forever it seems.

I hope you park it in a rodent free area.

Rust on the disc is not a major issue. But if the rear brakes are drum type, ensure they are absolutely dry, if not you might have to remove the hubs and clean on your return.

WD40 on the brakes? Never heard of that before. Be very sure before doing so.

Below are a few tips from some professionals

https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/laying-up

https://www.edmunds.com/car-maintenance/how-to-prep-your-car-for-long-term-storage.html

Edited by ravip

I have done what you are doing. And YES - mice was a problem. I have since learned that if you load up your car inside and under the hood with the shavings of a very strong smelling bar of soap that keeps the mice away. What soap that is in Thailand I am not sure. I just use my knife to turn one good sized bar into shavings then spread them in the car, under the hood and on the ground under the engine. No mice. Not too difficult to clean up in the unlikely event that you can ever return. ????

None of the above.

Fresh gas is better than old gas, so 1/4 tank full, then add new gas after you get back.

I've left my modern cars for six months before.  No problems just needed a battery jump.  A battery jumper that you plug in then connect to the battery works just fine.  They're about 600B in America.