Savannakhet, what now?

50 minutes ago, Barney13 said:

This is getting urgent now,

Not all that urgent as there's an amnesty until 26th Sept ..... and probably another one after that.

Or you could just use an agent and pay 25k for a retirement extension.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

Hi UbonJoe, thanks for the reply. I have used this visa method with success until now. Do you think one week is sufficient time to accrue 400k, I don't. Do I wait for the border to open before 26th Sept, what do you suggest now?

14 minutes ago, Barney13 said:

Hi UbonJoe, thanks for the reply. I have used this visa method with success until now. Do you think one week is sufficient time to accrue 400k, I don't. Do I wait for the border to open before 26th Sept, what do you suggest now?

A 30 day extension is possible to stay beyond September 26th with a letter from your embassy requesting it.

If you could have the 400k baht in the bank for 2 months by mid October you could apply for the one year extension.

16 minutes ago, Barney13 said:

From where are the 400k coming?

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

A 30 day extension is possible to stay beyond September 26th with a letter from your embassy requesting it.

Many embassies, at least the US one, say they aren't issuing such letters anymore.

The OP may be in a good position, because his Non Imm ME visa doesn't expire until 1 Oct. Thus, his normal border hopping to get a new 90-day permission of stay might be satisfied with this rumor of a virtual border hop. Sure, just pure rumor. But, it sounds like such an efficient method to deal with all these Non IMM ME visa holders might just come to pass......

Don't hold your breath, but keep monitoring the reports.

I think the UK is no longer issueing such letters, but I could be wrong. The voluanteer farang at immigration mentioned a one month special extension for seasoning the 400k though, which I presumed was a Chiang Mai thing. I think I will try to get the money in the next week or so then try this extension. Jim, this sounds promising, what would it entail, and where did you read about it?

3 minutes ago, Barney13 said:

I think the UK is no longer issueing such letters, but I could be wrong. The voluanteer farang at immigration mentioned a one month special extension for seasoning the 400k though, which I presumed was a Chiang Mai thing. I think I will try to get the money in the next week or so then try this extension. Jim, this sounds promising, what would it entail, and where did you read about it?

What was the problem with using the monthly income?  Not sure what you mean by needing proof.

43 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Many embassies, at least the US one, say they aren't issuing such letters anymore.

The OP may be in a good position, because his Non Imm ME visa doesn't expire until 1 Oct. Thus, his normal border hopping to get a new 90-day permission of stay might be satisfied with this rumor of a virtual border hop. Sure, just pure rumor. But, it sounds like such an efficient method to deal with all these Non IMM ME visa holders might just come to pass......

Don't hold your breath, but keep monitoring the reports.

The US Embassy doesn't issue support letters "at the moment". They are probably waiting to see what happens in the near future. 

• Like 1

Yorkshire Tea, for Chiang Mai proof means, if you work in Thailand you need to show work permit and employment contract, with income statement, personal income tax submission PND91 at least 3 months prior and the business registration. if working abroad, an income statement authorized by the applicants embassy or consulate in Thailand for at least 40k.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

What was the problem with using the monthly income?  Not sure what you mean by needing proof.

I guess he's talking about the non-existing income letter from his embassy. People from the US,UK and Australia have to use bank statements and in some cases credit advises from their Thai banks showing the transfers as foreign. Some immigration offices also asks for proof of the source. Normally you can get that from your pension provider in your home country.

6 minutes ago, Barney13 said:

Yorkshire Tea, for Chiang Mai proof means, if you work in Thailand you need to show work permit and employment contract, with income statement, personal income tax submission PND91 at least 3 months prior and the business registration. if working abroad, an income statement authorized by the applicants embassy or consulate in Thailand for at least 40k.

Many foreigners have income from abroad, and can show proof of that income even after some embassies stopped issuing income letters. It seems like you don't know how to do it. 

21 hours ago, Barney13 said:

I think 26th Sept. is not amnesty, this is it I believe,

Based on what? If the borders are still closed and no-one is allowed in, nothing has changed since March. So why would the provision to stay be ended when the situation remains as it has been to justify the two extensions so far? That makes no sense at all.

26th September is a long way off and plenty or nothing could happen between now and then. I'm doing nothing now regarding my ME marriage situation, especially as the visa is valid until November anyway. If my mid to late September it looks as if the amnesty won't be extended then I'll have to hand over 1900 for a 60-day extension which should see us out of the border lockdown.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Based on what? If the borders are still closed and no-one is allowed in, nothing has changed since March. So why would the provision to stay be ended when the situation remains as it has been to justify the two extensions so far? That makes no sense at all.

26th September is a long way off and plenty or nothing could happen between now and then. I'm doing nothing now regarding my ME marriage situation, especially as the visa is valid until November anyway. If my mid to late September it looks as if the amnesty won't be extended then I'll have to hand over 1900 for a 60-day extension which should see us out of the border lockdown.

The "amnesties" were not extended just because of closed borders, but also because of very few or none outbound flights to several countries.A lot of people are here because the "don't want" to leave or they don't want to pay the quite pricey tickets to some locations. Should that be a reason for an automatic extension? Imo, a big no. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

No.

Just get the correct visa/extension that fits with your stay.  

Most tourists don't need a visa, and they are being told to leave - unless there is another extension. What visa would you like tourists who don't need a visa to have?

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Barney13 said:

The general view here in Laos is that the border will not open until next year. Recent events, i.e. the recording of the 20th Covid19 case (an import - South Korean working for one of the hydro companies) and the capture of 20 Chinese who crossed the border illegally, combined with the recent outbreak in Vietnam, will give the Lao authorities more cause for thought and hence the likely continued closure of the border. I think it is very much a case of "wait and see," but as stated maybe plan for the worse.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The amnesties are also to help those who live in Thailand, have families in Thailand, have business in Thailand, who might be able to leave but who would find massive hurdles to overcome in order to return. 

That isn't one of the reasons for the amnesties given in any of the government documents, and I've seen no indication that it was even a consideration for the ministers making the decision.

22 hours ago, BritTim said:

Frankly, what is such a letter supposed to say?

"Mr John Doe does not want to leave Thailand. Please let him continue to stay"?

The embassy letter is supposed to be for cases where someone is completely unable to leave (such as when there are zero flights going to his home country). That may be true for a handful of those still here, but not for the majority.

or like in the case of New Zealand and Australia ........   keeping them from returning in bulk as they do not have the quarantine facilities to house the projected numbers that could return. New Zealand is already controlling flight numbers. More Countries may cotton on to this idea.

22 hours ago, Max69xl said:

The US Embassy doesn't issue support letters "at the moment". They are probably waiting to see what happens in the near future. 

They really don't like being forced into becoming a participant in a transaction which in reality is entirely between the applicant and Thai Immigration, and has nothing whatsoever to do with the US Government.

That having been said, they also don't want their citizens to end up in limbo due to Immigration's insistence on receiving a meaningless letter, so they will negotiate behind the scenes and only agree to start issuing letters again if there seems to be absolutely no alternative.

• Like 1

Two times now the Thai Govt. via Thai Immigration has given plenty of time to solve an Extension / Visa problem BUT no mechanism to do it with. That is if one is a holder on a Non Imm. ME O Visa for Marriage or Non Imm. ME B (Business)... 

Only the standard One Year Only way out to date gas been an Extension of Stay with lengthy documentation / money in the Bank and a very high fee (padded with tea money)... Many if not Most such Visa holders cannot get the proofs and cash together.  A quite legal method (over a decade) for staying with family or working ğ running a business snuffed out for thousands. The necessity of creating an alternate way of making a virtual border run has escaped the Thai Immigration officials thought process since at least March.  Handcuffed to old "process and procedures" cannot be changed because of the petrified - fossilized mindset.

"Well uh well uh we have to have what we have always had...  you know... the Farang has to sign his name 125 times in 10 cm of documents. 

Two weeks ago I saw the coming Extension of the Amnesty as a total replay of the previous one... I got all my Docs together and paid 15,000 Baht for a 1,900 Baht fee. Now I have a one year Extension of Stay converted from my Non Imm B ME Visa. An yes, I signed my name over 125 times.  Ah! Ain't Flexibility Grand. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I see your a gambling man Barry taking a chance till the last second thinking the boarders will open by end of November by doing nothing. I'm in the exact same predicament as you and I'm sure many others, Visa valid till November with the option to get 60 day extension before September 26. I'm just not going to take that kind of chance as my local IO made it clear to me to extend my visa for 12 month permission to stay or I will be on overstay if the boarders dont open up which in my opinion wont happen till next year.

The 400k option is not possible for me, I will try the 40k method and hope do the current situation with this Non O visa holders that are stuck in this bubble, that immigration will show some compassion and flexibility regarding the financial part of extending to the one year.