Thailand lifts barriers for more foreigners

webfact

Thailand lifts barriers for more foreigners

By The Nation

800_d2f54d3d2dc4ad3.jpg?v=1596435618

Dr Taweesin Visanuyothin, spokesman for the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration said on Monday (August 3) that more types of foreigners will be allowed to return to Thailand, such as:

• Foreigners who hold a residential permit;

• Foreigners who hold a work permit or migrant workers who hold official documents allowing them to stay and work in Thailand;

• Foreigners granted entry under special agreements, such as Thailand Elite cardholders.

These groups are required to follow the Public Health Ministry’s measures strictly and spend 14 days at an alternative state quarantine site.

The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand confirmed these measures.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30392356

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-08-03

7 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

I absolutely agree with you. I paid 5 million Baht for a condo about 7 years ago. It didn't give me any kind of rights to residency, and very sadly I doubt that this will change.

Yeah it is a full crying shame. If you were a foreign woman married to a Thai then you would be ok.

5 minutes ago, jackdd said:

On the other hand you could argue why anybody would buy property in a country in which he doesn't at least have permanent residency.

Investment and then false hope that a retirement visa has something that gives them credibility. My home and cars and such I could leave if kicked out. They would only then take care of my wife and kids for life. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

With a 10 mio condo investment you can get an investment visa. It was 3 mio before they changed it to 10 mio. 

How  about 25  million spread  over 7  condos, nah didnt  think so, at  least the Wifes  happy.

3 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

I’m not quite sure how that answers my question. 

That means that they can do things in my country that I (& you) cannot do in Thailand.

Not the UK, but I believe the USA & Canada have birthright-citizenship, I don't think Thailand has that, for example.

Although as another poster very rightly points out, when Thais see things like BLM protests in the west, why would they want to enable such things in their own country.

You may remember that during the "Shutdown Bangkok" protests an Indian guy (who had spent much of his life in Thailand), very publically joined the protests. He was very lucky not to be kicked out of Thailand (probably for ever).

Thailand's immigration laws make it easier for Thailand to get rid of foreign (undesirable) people. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrew65 said:

Is that absolutely true? I'm not sure.

A retirement or marriage visa is only an extension of stay. I think having (half Thai) children gives one some credit when they consider an application.

To get permanent residency in Thailand, I'm not sure about the criteria.

An old British friend lost "permanent" residency in Australia, on the basis that he hadn't spent at least 2 of the last 5 years resident (physically living in) Australia.

Yeah, kinda of sorta really true. Be a foreign woman married to a Thai man is easy. It's like she is the property of the Thai guy or in a sense. No threat to the Thai male population. Realistically for a foreign man with kids there is no special residency or any real special treatment for the most aprt. Maybe if your kids become Thai famous, then only then the maybe.. Rules want you to have a work permit and pay taxes but there are slight other considerations, but haven't heard anyone come out and say they go it otherwise. Plus it is a lot of money and your not guaranteed an approval.

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

You have to do the hard yards in Thailand to become permanent. Work until you receive permanent residency then citizenship. A long wait and hard work to achieve both. Most fail at the first hurdle. No automatic gimmes here. 

You can understand why it is this was as every singlet wearing mouth-breather in Pattaya would be marrying their bar-girl bride to get permanent residence. 

Their criteria is way too much to jump through for PR. I personal have a long term relationship marriage with the same woman, kids are 25, 19, 17 and been here along time and have money with all bells and whistles. They need to lighten up. Yes agree that every Tom - Dick - Harry who marries their bar girl should not get PR right out of the blue or perhaps even within 5 yrs. But they just make it impossible and should readjust with better realistic considerations. I even think long term invested retiree should also get PR.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Does that apply to all countries or is only Thailand so generous “to have consideration for these people”? For example, could my Chinese friend just buy a condo in Florida or London and that would give him permanent residency? 

It was only referring to be allowed back in with their short term visa. Never spoke about PR.

1 hour ago, twocatsmac said:

So, they’ve allowed you to buy a home and live here etc and now you want to replace the government with one in tune with your thinking ?

????

How about for my 1/2 Thai kids? And yes, if my kids want to protest to try and overturn and have a better government and life not controlled by these archaic regime dinosaurs, then I am ok with it. Our thinking and probably most Thai and many many foreigners tho9ughts are the same. Well maybe except for the TV famous Steven100 who loves this government and the crony at the helm. 

it would appear that if you have bought a condo you have invested to the tune of whatever,in fact far more than the elite badge so in reality you should be afforded that right,my friend bought a condo 10 yrs ago he paid 5 mill had a visa investment type on the strength of that then wham they said no more.its now 10 mill!!thats insane.retroactively change some living arrangements.he had qualified and had a visa and its gone just like that,all these condos are still going up .who will buy them?few thais have spare cash so.....overseas mkt,another reason to open up and also grant a visa to buyers,like everything here its never thought thru just blind greediness and xenophobia,its hurting the real estate ind tourism and themselves for no good reason,criminals,all thats needed is to use the system most other countries use!theyve access to the criminal records,people who were imprisioned more than 2 yrs anywhere come up.dont let em in!that what eu uk oz nz usa does whats so hard?!

43 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

How about for my 1/2 Thai kids? And yes, if my kids want to protest to try and overturn and have a better government and life not controlled by these archaic regime dinosaurs, then I am ok with it. Our thinking and probably most Thai and many many foreigners tho9ughts are the same. Well maybe except for the TV famous Steven100 who loves this government and the crony at the helm. 

Lol, that’s bed & breakfast at the monkey house talk.

• Haha 1