How I Saved B14.000 On My Car Repair

1 minute ago, Worldplus said:

Don't they just love to rip off a farang if they can..

We have a Ford Everest...  Very rarely do I take it to the dealers..

I believe the price of the service repair estimate would be the same regardless of nationality...I have never heard of duel pricing at dealership service departments. I didn't check the price at an independent garage, however, and maybe they could source the part at a cheaper price (it's 99% of the repair cost).

1 hour ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

So as we know, in this social media age, companies hate to get negative mentions on Facebook, Twitter, etc.

Wait  till I take  my stuttering and coughing 6000km -3750  miles owned from new Honda Cbr650f to the dealers to see how  much to fix  it, I already have the letter on my com for  Honda to question their infamous reliability addressed to Honda  japan not  Thailand, oh  yea its 4  years  old hardly  used and pretty  <deleted>  poor for this to  happen, looks  like new, never  used in wet conditions and always serviced. 6000km -3750miles absolutely pathetic.

Edited by bodga

17 minutes ago, johng said:

Yes what the heck do you need all that stuff for ?  just more stuff to go wrong.

not having a go at you Pattaya Spotter.

The adaptive cruise control comes in handy during long freeway trips and the collision warning system has saved me a couple times...certainly convenience features but hardly essential. In fact, I've driven the car from Pattaya to Bangkok and back since this all happened and survived.

17 minutes ago, transam said:

I agree, if they can sort out the dash lights, I would leave it at that....????

It starts..yes, brakes work...yes, pub open...yes......All is good...????

The warning chimes go off after a minute or so after each start and I can reset the warning lights with a couple presses on one of the steering wheel buttons. A bit of an annoyance after every start so just leave the lights on now.

4 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Well there's your answer to the 47,000 baht question right there.

Yes the car drives fine...just without all the newfangled safety and convenience features. However, I will go ahead and schedule the repair, if for no other reason than to maintain its resale value.

• Like 1

Just now, Kwasaki said:

Take it Cockpit. 

Our lad has a Honda Civic, he told his mrs to take it to Honda to get it serviced, she did, but they told her the car had a problem that would cost 40,000bht to fix.

I asked her what the problem was, she didn't know, I said does eveything work, yes...

Then forget it...That was near a year back, ride still has no problems..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Take it Cockpit. 

With my older (and simpler) cars, I have used Cockpit for maintenance basics like oil and filter changes, tire rotations, wheel alignments, etc. without issue. However, for something related to this model's sophisticated safety systems, I feel more comfortable having a Honda dealer perform the repair.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, johng said:

Yes what the heck do you need all that stuff for ?  just more stuff to go wrong.

not having a go at you Pattaya Spotter.

We have 1 vehicle that has virtually nothing, SWMBO just got a new car that has most of the tech. The one that I prefer to drive has the tech. I used to do all my own services, even rebuilding the engine. Now I do the things I enjoy, use the all tech we have and keep my hands almost free of oil. If it goes wrong I pay other people to fix it for me. YMMV

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

Our lad has a Honda Civic, he told his mrs to take it to Honda to get it serviced, she did, but they told her the car had a problem that would cost 40,000bht to fix.

I asked her what the problem was, she didn't know, I said does eveything work, yes...

Then forget it...That was near a year back, ride still has no problems..

Yeah well so many people here believe in main dealers I understand they know no better, I say let them carry on being ripped off if their happy.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

We have 1 vehicle that has virtually nothing, SWMBO just got a new car that has most of the tech. The one that I prefer to drive has the tech. I used to do all my own services, even rebuilding the engine. Now I do the things I enjoy, use the all tech we have and keep my hands almost free of oil. If it goes wrong I pay other people to fix it for me. YMMV

In my former life I also did all my maintenance myself, including rebuilding engines, especially because my best friends had large BMW dealerships.

By the time I moved here, about 25 years ago, it was not possible anymore to drain the oil from a BMW without special tools, lets stand any other repairs.

I think now your BMW or Mercedes won't even move anymore if you don't reset the maintenance counter, which you can't without a computer with the special software

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah well so many people here believe in main dealers I understand they know no better, I say let them carry on being ripped off if their happy.

I think the issue is big cars full of gadgets.

My small, old car always gets serviced at the dealer and it never adds up to much.

Once I dropped it off at 1pm on a friday for a service. At 3.30pm they called to say that the 14-year-old clutch master cylinder had just disintegrated while they inspected it, and that they didn't have the part in stock. I feared being without my car for several days. But they then said they would order the part from Bangkok, it would come up to Chiang Mai over night, they would fit it Saturday morning and I could pick up the car at 1pm.

So I didn't have to wait more than 24 hours, and it probably cost no more than 5,000 baht I imagine (nothing ever costs more than that on my car).

The alternative would be to have an independent probably not spot the issue, leaving me stranded somewhere when it breaks. Then they would probably misdiagnose the problem and replace the clutch instead. And that would probably take them a couple of attempts too. Doubt it would end up any cheaper, and certainly WAY more time-consuming.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, taotoo said:

At 3.30pm they called to say that the 14-year-old clutch master cylinder had just disintegrated while they inspected it, and that they didn't have the part in stock.

There ya go, carry on being conned.

• Confused 2

The fault described by the OP is a common failure on Accords of this vintage and is due to a bad brake pressure sensor within the ABS modulator unit. In the UK we can get the unit rebuilt for about £200 (฿8000) - maybe worth seeing if anyone in Thailand can rebuild them.

Edited by HauptmannUK
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

The fault described by the OP is a common failure on Accords of this vintage and is due to a bad brake pressure sensor within the ABS modulator unit. In the UK we can get the unit rebuilt for about £200 (฿8000) - maybe worth seeing if anyone in Thailand can rebuild them.

Yes...my service girl at the dealership said this was a known. issue with my Accord model/vintage. This is what prompted me to want to contact Honda corporate before paying for an expensive repair. If she hasn't said this, I might have just had it done without "going social" and called it a day. I did search the world's knowledge index, Google, for any problems with 2013 Accords and "ABS pumps" but didn'treally find anything. However, I may have not described the problem accurately; I  should have searched for service bulletins for 2013 Accords. 

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
Clarity
  • Like 1