Pet Euthanasia In Khon Kaen

bprinceuk

Sorry to hear that you have an animal that sounds like it is suffering.

We had two dogs die last week, three days apart after being with us for over 15 years, we had them at the vets before they passed, while we never asked outright I don't believe you will find any vet that can "offer euthanasia" - I believe it is illegal for them to do so?

It is not illegal.

However, most Thai vets won't do it, though a few  will if the situation is really dire.

Unfortunately the only ones I know of that will, are in Bangkok.  I have no idea re Khon Kaen but usually will only be a Vet who has worked in the West who will do it. It is not a part of usual Thai veterinary practice.

Even those who will, will do so only if in their own professional judgement the situation is hopeless and the animal suffering. No Thai vet does it "on demand" the way vets do in many Western countries .

Assuming your pet is terminally ill, with no chance of recovery, what I would suggest is that you express to the Vet your understanding that the pet will die and tell him/her you don't want the pet to suffer and what can be done to ease the suffering?

Even if they won't euthanize they might be pursuaded to provide pain meds etc

14 minutes ago, CGW said:

We had two dogs die last week, three days apart after being with us for over 15 years, we had them at the vets before they passed, while we never asked outright I don't believe you will find any vet that can "offer euthanasia" - I believe it is illegal for them to do so?

In Bangkok vets will put a dog down for an serious illness or condition after attempts at treatment have been made and the dog is neither responding to treatment and suffering, with poor prognosis.

The vet may not request payment, but ask that payment for made to a local animal charity to make merit for the animal.

• Like 2

Very sad to hear of the ill health of your friend.

A friend had two dogs that I had known since they were a few months old some ten years ago.

One was a male Thai Alsatian that started to suffer with the genetic problem DM following the death of its friend.
In the early stages he still went for walks but In the latter stages which came upon him rapidly he could no longer walk, then his kidneys failed and he rapidly went in to toxic shock.
A local vet that we knew was very very sympathetic, came to the house helped put the dog on a table, the vet spent more than 3 hours with us after he had administered a pain killer to our friend, finally the vet put our friend do sleep.
I have never met such a sympathetic vet in all my times in different countries, including the UK.

This happened in Banphai, south of KK and the vet came to us.    I have taken a dog to KKU before, very helpful with general care and overnight stays for the pet but traveling for any animal can be very stressful if it is not used to travel, especially if it is already ill.   Far better if you can find a vet that can come to you and stay a while, not rush off to the next patient.    It also saves the journey back with a lost loved one assuming they are to be buried close by their home.

14 hours ago, CGW said:

Its not illegal, its based on religion.

Buddhists don't kill 

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, CGW said:

My friend has just had a female dog die from heart worm and complications.
My friend had two dogs that died 1 year and 2 years ago, they were replaced by two puppies ( 1 dumped ).   The female that just died had turned up in the local area and followed my friends dogs to their house.   One of the dogs was able to jump the wall and the female followed suit.     She was obviously in general poor condition but became stronger during the past 6 months.    Last two weeks she showed lethargy and suddenly shut down, the worm infection had taken hold.     She has been buried near the older dogs that had died and near one of her pups that suddenly died only a few weeks old without any symptoms.
However young or old they are they are always missed.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Speedo1968 said:

Very sad to hear of the ill health of your friend.

A friend had two dogs that I had known since they were a few months old some ten years ago.

One was a male Thai Alsatian that started to suffer with the genetic problem DM following the death of its friend.
In the early stages he still went for walks but In the latter stages which came upon him rapidly he could no longer walk, then his kidneys failed and he rapidly went in to toxic shock.
A local vet that we knew was very very sympathetic, came to the house helped put the dog on a table, the vet spent more than 3 hours with us after he had administered a pain killer to our friend, finally the vet put our friend do sleep.
I have never met such a sympathetic vet in all my times in different countries, including the UK.

This happened in Banphai, south of KK and the vet came to us.    I have taken a dog to KKU before, very helpful with general care and overnight stays for the pet but traveling for any animal can be very stressful if it is not used to travel, especially if it is already ill.   Far better if you can find a vet that can come to you and stay a while, not rush off to the next patient.    It also saves the journey back with a lost loved one assuming they are to be buried close by their home.

What yoiy describe is actually unusual (in terms of the Vet). Could you perhaps PM to OP with the Vet's details?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grumpy one said:

Buddhists don't kill 

Good example of "dogma" if only & if we could all follow this "principle"!

In fairness to the vet, our dogs were not sick, they simply followed the natural passage of life, they both died of old age, they were not in pain, the vet believed they should be allowed to pass naturally, a principle I personally agree with, sad though it was. :sad:

Thank you to everyone for your feedback. We have two dogs and four cats. About a week ago, we found a very young kitten with a puncture wound. We took it home and the first two days, it was doing fine, eating and going to its litter tray. On the third day, I noticed it was not to steady on its back legs, the following morning, it started to drag its hind quarters. I took it to one of the private animal hospitals in KK, x rays showed that it had a fractured third vertebrae, and the blood analysis results were not to good either. She was admitted and has been there for three days, treating the wound and blood disorders. Sadly there is no improvement in the paralysis, and the vet seems to think it will not improve. She has to be assisted for her bowel movements every 4/6 hours. The vet said her injuries are probably from a dog bite.

Malawi is correct "The Animal Hospital in KK University will as a last resort."  I had two cats treated at different times, at this hospital. One was suffering and in the  final stages of Feline Immunodeficiency Virus. I forget the fee, and they did offer to allow me to see the cat prior to the procedure. I did not know at that time of such a vaccination or test for Feline Immunodeficiency Virus.  I urge cat owners to pay for the vaccination. 

I think the reason most vets will not euthanize is due to the Buddhist religion believing in reincarnation. Don't want to kill Uncle Fred who was reincarnated as a cat or dog. I can't understand why as they would unplug life support for a human who has no chance of recovery but not an animal who is suffering.