Snails in my lawn

Susco

As the title says, I have snails in my lawn, loads of them.

Yet I don't see any patches of damaged grass yet, but every morning I have many snails all around the house.

I think this morning I plucked about 30 of the perimeter wall.

How to get rid of them fast?

11 minutes ago, Michael Hare said:

Before trying the various chemicals which kill snails, why not try spreading lots of lime (I mean lots) across your lawn. Burns the snails and they disppear. A 50 kg bag of lime costs about 90 baht.

I have searched the farm shops here previously, and they don't know lime. Most of them sell gypsum instead.

My understanding is that lots of gypsum will burn the grass as well

31 minutes ago, Susco said:

I have searched the farm shops here previously, and they don't know lime. Most of them sell gypsum instead.

My understanding is that lots of gypsum will burn the grass as well

We normally apply any fertilizer in the evenings. What we are appyling is Dolomite. Calcium and magnesium. Here in Ubon Ratchathani we buy it at a large agricultural fertiliser shop. The small retail shops will not stock it. It will not burn your grass at all.

IMG_1538.jpg

IMG_1537.jpg

7 minutes ago, Michael Hare said:

We normally apply any fertilizer in the evenings. What we are appyling is Dolomite. Calcium and magnesium. Here in Ubon Ratchathani we buy it at a large agricultural fertiliser shop. The small retail shops will not stock it. It will not burn your grass at all.

IMG_1538.jpg

IMG_1537.jpg

Previous post you mention Lime, now you post a picture of Dolomite. Calcium and magnesium.

Is this the same thing, and is it that bag that cost 90 Baht?

I have same massive snail problem...they really don't eat the lawn...but they eat everything else except Italian Basil, SpearMint and a few tropical plants and cactus types. I have given up controlling them because they live under the shrubbery and come out at dusk/dawn. If I go out just when darkness starts and walk along the hedge/shrub perimiter....I can feel them crunching under my feet...there are so many it's impossible to control. I just plant things I know they won't eat and other things I try to elevate but they can climb pretty much anything. I hate when they "<deleted>' all over the walls of the house and yard...every morning...hose down all. I give up...time to call in the air strike

19 minutes ago, Susco said:

Previous post you mention Lime, now you post a picture of Dolomite. Calcium and magnesium.

Is this the same thing, and is it that bag that cost 90 Baht?

Yes, that is the bag that costs 90 baht. I called it Lime, but the real name is Dolomite. Does a great job. 

• Like 1

Could always rent / borrow a couple of ducks for a day or so.
The owner gets more / better / bigger eggs and you get free fertilizer from the ducks.
An option is to find some big toads and give them free range.
As for the white lines on the ground or walls, it doesn't do any harm and you get a different mural every day.
I have been in farming most of my life in indifferent countries since 1961 so accepted early that sometimes you just have to let Nature go it's own way.    Often when you try to destroy what you don't like it has a habit of coming back and biting you in the ...., especially Nature.

• Like 1

Snail problem?No problem ,try this it really works.

Fill a deep plate with beer,yes beer and the next morning you will see a lot of dead snails.

And after you have tried this you will be amazed at how many snails are attracted to beer!

If you have a larger garden you can place a few more plates or bowls .

(I am not responsible for any alcoholics climbing over your fence at night and drink it.)

If it does not work i will buy you a new beer.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Michael Hare said:

Yes, that is the bag that costs 90 baht. I called it Lime, but the real name is Dolomite. Does a great job. 

There are three different limes all predominately calcium carbonate. Lime (pure), Dolomite and Gypsum that have additional elements.

6 hours ago, jvs said:

Fill a deep plate with beer,yes beer and the next morning you will see a lot of dead snails.

And after you have tried this you will be amazed at how many snails are attracted to beer!

(I am not responsible for any alcoholics climbing over your fence at night and drink it.)

Now that is a real old fashioned way, remember my Dad doing this in London back in the 40's.
It seemed to work though.
Not sure how a bird would feel chomping on some 'dead' drunk snails, perhaps couldn't get in the air for a while.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Speedo1968 said:
6 hours ago, jvs said:

Now that is a real old fashioned way, remember my Dad doing this in London back in the 40's.
It seemed to work though.
Not sure how a bird would feel chomping on some 'dead' drunk snails, perhaps couldn't get in the air for a while.

Now I know why there were about 20 pigeons picking on my lawn when I woke up, and why all snails were climbing the perimeter wall lol.

6 hours ago, jvs said:

Beer traps work well with slugs ,so should work with snails ,

I prefer beer Sing ,best of a bad bunch, not certain if snails will like it.

OP... Why do you want to get rid of the snails if they are not doing any harm?

They do not eat or destroy lawns. 

I would feel happier with a bunch of snails on the wall than spending time in my garden that was covered in toxic snail killer chemicals. 

Please do not use snail / slug killer pellets. Many birds and other wild animals may eat it and die.

We gat the native small brown snails and they do zero damage to any plants in the garden. However, the large African land snails are an invasive species and they do eat some of our plants. These I collect in a bucket and feed to the neighbours flock of ducks. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/6/2020 at 10:06 AM, Michael Hare said:

I have spread 75 kg of dolomite over ~800 sqm of lawn, and it seems not to have made an improvement. In fact, I now also get slugs.

The other night I looked on top of my perimeter wall, and it was full of the slimy things, so I think they actually come from the neighbours farm land.

Any more drastic solution to this?

2 minutes ago, Susco said:

I have spread 75 kg of dolomite over ~800 sqm of lawn, and it seems not to have made an improvement. In fact, I now also get slugs.

The other night I looked on top of my perimeter wall, and it was full of the slimy things, so I think they actually come from the neighbours farm land.

Any more drastic solution to this?

Try the beer,it works!

9 minutes ago, jvs said:

Try the beer,it works!

I believe that it will work for small areas, but how about larger ones?

I reckon they come from 2 sides, so that mean about 70 linear meters of wall I have to cover.

Would I need a full keg for that?

18 minutes ago, Susco said:

I believe that it will work for small areas, but how about larger ones?

I reckon they come from 2 sides, so that mean about 70 linear meters of wall I have to cover.

Would I need a full keg for that?

Just try a few about 5 meters apart,i small bottle should be enough to try?