Pattaya: Rebranded "24 hour Walking Street" opens its arms to Thais - and one way traffic!

rooster59

RIP Walking street

well i was here yesterday evening (Saturday night fever lol)

i get the idea, putting some make up on the global sinking and trying to show a busy street

but the result is not so nice, the street is dark, congested with multiples taxis

and bathbus trying to get a customer (imo allowing the 4 wheels vehicles was a mistake)

even with a lot of street food stalls on the 2 sides of the street, they can't hide the closed

venues and it's a little bit sad to see. Of course the smiles are not here, very few customer

and very little money, so not a big success.

The only positive thing is i can now run my scooter to the Ibar\insomnia and park it at few meters

there are a lot of place available.

The second part of WS, from Hot Tuna bar to Bali Hai pier is totally dead with everything closed.

5 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

RIP Walking street

i get the idea, putting some make up on the global sinking and trying to show a busy street

but the result is not so nice, the street is dark, congested with multiples taxis

and bathbus trying to get a customer (imo allowing the 4 wheels vehicles was a mistake)

even with a lot of street food stalls on the 2 sides of the street, they can't hide the closed

venues and it's a little bit sad to see. Of course the smiles are not here, very few customer

The only positive thing is i can now run my scooter to the Ibar\insomnia and park it at few meters

The second part of WS, from Hot Tuna bar to Bali Hai pier is totally dead with everything closed.

Pretty much describes the whole town. Sad and depressing at the moment.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

RIP Walking street

The taxis have been desperate for ages and now the baht buses are living on starvation wages.....So opening walking street to traffic you just knew the taxis would be all over that like flies to honey.........But the VAST VAST majority of people will just walk up to 2nd road or get baht bus for 10 baht or a moto-cy like they have always done.......

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Longchop said:

Well I suppose that when the chinese return it will be handy for them to just gawk out the tour bus window as it chugs along WS instead of having to walk behind the flag

A good way to stop them escaping and spending their money at places not in the 'loop'..... wonder how many pedestrians will get hurt.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

When Walking Street first opened ( I was there ) that end wasn't part of it, and even when it did get included it never became as popular as the original end.

At the beginning it was more a beer garden experience with tables in the street. The gogos and the hookers came later.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If they want to save W S they could take a cue from Singapore's makeover of Bugis Street, which is quite popular, even sans kyties.

I've got to say, I think that the Bugis Street re development was a mistake and has just become an Indian dominated tourist trap.  It's too down market for what Singapore has become.  Also, unlike WS, its not right by the sea. The Thais can do much better if they plan properly, but they won't, because for some reason they can't.    

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

When Walking Street first opened ( I was there ) that end wasn't part of it, and even when it did get included it never became as popular as the original end.

At the beginning it was more a beer garden experience with tables in the street. The gogos and the hookers came later.

Yes i remember the beer bar stalls in the street at the begining

the main attractions were Tony's and Marine disco

2 hours ago, essox essox said:

big question.......WHICH WAY WILL IT BE one way??

B H to beach road.....or BR to bali hai ???

It's one way from Beach road to Bali hai

with the cars and motorbikes parked on the 2 sides of the street

and the street food stalls, there is no place for more than 1 vehicle

in one way, and of course most of the vehicles are taxi and bahtbus 

looking at an hypothetical customer, creating traffic jams.

However i have noticed few motorbike taxi runing at high speed

in the wrong way, as usual everywhere in Thailand

Edited by kingofthemountain

16 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Tonys doesn't relly go all that far back.... one could hardly miss his arrival. Marine disco has been around long time.

On 8/8/2020 at 11:56 AM, Oldie said:

Now you can pick up the girls by car and motorbike. Great new development. 

like a drive in macdonalds.......order what one wants then get the hell out of the street....with ones goodies !!!

Edited by essox essox
wrong spelling
  • Haha 1

Thailand has been presented with a unique opportunity, particularly Pattaya, to follow examples set by many forward thinking organisations and re-invent itself while the place is deserted. Bulldoze walking street beach-side, bury the wires, fix the roads and sewers, install trams, fence off the beach, fix the pier etc. etc.  Simply recognise where they are, what they've got and what is needed and stop sticking band-aids on everything. This could be turned round to be the best thing that happened to the country, it might take 5 years (about as long as it took to build an underpass) but would be worth it.

Borrow loads of cheap dosh, get the millions of unemployed Thais working on infrastructure in place of serving the tourist trade and be ready for a magnificent 're-start' in a year or so. Bloke called Keynes tried it about 50 years ago, quite effective apparently. 

But, TIT....so no kin chance

• Like 1

On 8/11/2020 at 4:31 PM, Cranky said:

Thailand has been presented with a unique opportunity, particularly Pattaya, to follow examples set by many forward thinking organisations and re-invent itself while the place is deserted. Bulldoze walking street beach-side, bury the wires, fix the roads and sewers, install trams, fence off the beach, fix the pier etc. etc.  Simply recognise where they are, what they've got and what is needed and stop sticking band-aids on everything. This could be turned round to be the best thing that happened to the country, it might take 5 years (about as long as it took to build an underpass) but would be worth it.

Borrow loads of cheap dosh, get the millions of unemployed Thais working on infrastructure in place of serving the tourist trade and be ready for a magnificent 're-start' in a year or so. Bloke called Keynes tried it about 50 years ago, quite effective apparently. 

But, TIT....so no kin chance

Up to now for good or bad pattaya has had a unique reputation, some came to partake in the fun and games others just to look and wonder, walking street is it's biggest attraction but some people think better to bulldoze what made you famous and wealthy. As a businessman I would not bulldoze anything on walking street until I had developed the adjacent mile of beach road to these top quality exacting standards and it is packed with the quality family tourists that you think the bulldozing of walking street will bring.

On 8/10/2020 at 5:44 PM, Pilotman said:

I've got to say, I think that the Bugis Street re development was a mistake and has just become an Indian dominated tourist trap.  It's too down market for what Singapore has become.  Also, unlike WS, its not right by the sea. The Thais can do much better if they plan properly, but they won't, because for some reason they can't.    

LOL. All of the city part of Singapore is, IMO, a tourist trap.

The demise of "old" Bugis Street was inevitable once the government eliminated the last sliver of "fun" from the fun devoid country, so either they reinvented it or let it just be another street. They chose to reinvent it.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2020 at 7:57 PM, kingofthemountain said:

Happy days back then. I'd go to Marine Disco till near dawn when it closed, and then across the road to a night club/ disco behind Lucky Star bars which went on till well past dawn.

Tried Tony's once but the music was far too loud so never went back.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Never been there so I can't agree or disagree. Never saw the point of going to another polluted beach with a badly designed concrete infrastructure when all that was in Pattaya.

It's obvious you have never been there.

Not so long ago, it really was just a laid back seaside town, rather than a city.  I'm talking, only about 3 years ago.  Now, it's like Macau.  Such is the rate of Chinese development there.

The water was clean, traffic was lite, air was fresh.  That's all changed now.    

• Like 1

21 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Never been there so I can't agree or disagree. Never saw the point of going to another polluted beach with a badly designed concrete infrastructure when all that was in Pattaya.

It wasn't like that at all, when I went it was rather underdeveloped and basic if anything. As was Pattaya if one goes back far enough. Had some merit....

• Like 1